The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. tc6

tc6 Senior member

hmm. I've been all around trying on shirts at several places but cannot seem to get a good fit. I'm a fairly built guy (broad shoulders, built chest, wide back) and cannot seem to get a good fitting shirt off the rack. Every shirt I get is usually a S or XS and usually it fits good up top but towards the bottom, it gets baggy and boxy. Sometimes, even too long (I'm 5'6 and my pants sz. is a 30).

Any recomedations or am I going to be stuck tailoring my shirts all the time?

I have similar problems. I'm your height and wear the same pant size. My problem is that I have wide shoulders and a wide neck. I wear a 16 1/2 neck and a 32/33 sleeve. The problem is that at 16, the shirt is sized to a large. I wear a medium, so this is an issue for me. Luckily, India is cheap and I had about 10 shirts fitted by a tailor there for about $10. I even tried Calvin Klein's slim fit and it was too big. Hopefully, by the time I reach my goal weight(about 15 lbs to go) I'll fit into a smaller size so I won't need to get anything altered.

2. yahtzee

yahtzee Member

I bought two slim fit shirts from TM Lewin that should be here sometime this week.. can't wait to see how those will fit.

I also bought three slim fit BB shirts. Their definition of "slim" is way off. I still get the tent effect; actually, the sleeves and sides aren't bad but the tuck looks HORRIBLE.. even more so than a regular dress shirt, in my opinion. However, I took them to the tailor and they should look much better by Sunday.

I'm still struggling with a belt. BR has a nice one, but they are sold out of size 30. I called their phone ordering line and they can't tell when they will get more. I was told their stores don't stock the smaller sizes, thus the sell-out on small sizes on their site. Sigh. I went to their physical store and they only had size 36 and up... that sucks.

3. NowPlayingTheGame

NowPlayingTheGame Active Member

I like Ben Sherman shirts. They really taper down at the waist. Otherwise, from here on, I will get every shirt tailored for $10.

4. Tutankhamon Aridai

Tutankhamon Aridai New Member

I know its summer time but I need help just buying a plain black long sleeve slim fit(cause im tall and lean) shirt. It's hard to come buy. Anyone got advice on a online store or something that sells them?

5. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

How are the new Extra Slim-Fit shirts from Brooks Brothers?
    I don't venture into MC much, but I thought I'd chime in on this as I actually had the chance to try one on (the white OCBD sport shirt in size small) the other day. I must admit, that for the price ($80) I think it is the best fitting truly slim fitting OTR "shopping mall attainable" shirt I've tried on. Unfortunately, the store I went to didn't have the dress shirts to compare, but if they fit like the sports shirts I have my eyes on these. For the record, I'm 5'8", about 150 lbs., 36-37" chest. Finally, BB finally got with the program of breaking from the tent fits, now if only they got rid of the damn logo on the front. That's the only thing keeping me from making this my go to, I have a hatred for logos/branding on clothing. Their dress shirts as I understand it don't have it, but my store didn't carry it. I definitely recommend this new fit. EDIT: Added some crappy cell phone pics of the shirt I tried on below. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mr_Mike

Mr_Mike Member

all my dress shirts are from TM Lewin... 'semi fitted' range. Not a perfect fit, but certainly very good for £20 each (with RICS discount).

tried the zara tailored fit and was impressed so bought a couple of them. £30 each is also very good for the fit.

Haven't quite reached the stage yet where i want to spend much more than £50 for a shirt so i'm very happy with Lewin and zara at the moment. Might look into finding a tailor to have them adjusted though. How much would it cost, roughly, to have a standard shirt adjusted at a tailor? Any recommendations for a good affordable tailor in London would be appreciated.

7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Well I ordered 7 Buckingham shirts in a 15/34. We'll see how they fit. I'd like to keep 4 of them at least. 20GBP a pop + 8GBP shipping.
    5 of them came in today. I need to follow up on the other 2. Initial impression is that they are not as slim as I would have thought. Laid flat, the sleeves are 0.5" wider than the same size RLBL shirt (thus adding ~1" to the circumference). They triple pleated the sleeves for some unknown reason on a slim shirt. The body is ok...serviceable with darts, but most of these will be going back. Also, their depiction of the colors is off on some of these. EDIT: After more comparisons with my RLBL shirts, I just find it to be a shame about the sleeves on these. They fit my well in the chest and shoulders, and with darts would be fine in the back. However, it looks like they used the sleeves from a regular fit shirt of theirs. The sleeves have a reasonably narrow armhole, but have very little shape in them before ending in a triple pleat near the cuff :/.

8. Skyro

Skyro Member

5 of them came in today. I need to follow up on the other 2. Initial impression is that they are not as slim as I would have thought. Laid flat, the sleeves are 0.5" wider than the same size RLBL shirt (thus adding ~1" to the circumference). They triple pleated the sleeves for some unknown reason on a slim shirt. The body is ok...serviceable with darts, but most of these will be going back. Also, their depiction of the colors is off on some of these.

EDIT: After more comparisons with my RLBL shirts, I just find it to be a shame about the sleeves on these. They fit my well in the chest and shoulders, and with darts would be fine in the back. However, it looks like they used the sleeves from a regular fit shirt of theirs. The sleeves have a reasonably narrow armhole, but have very little shape in them before ending in a triple pleat near the cuff :/.

Yeah that really irks me too. I bought some BB slim fits the other day and it has 6, yes 6 pleats as the sleeve connects to the cuff, giving it some sort of pirate-shirt look. To me there is no purpose having pleats on slim fit shirts, and having them on the wrist is even more ridiculous. I can only come to the same conclusion as you - that they use the sleeve of their regular fit shirts.

You said you bought the Buckingham shirts correct? Do the John Francomb (either Milan or Reverto) have the same wrist pleats?

Also what size collar did you get and what were the chest/waist measurements? I'm having a hell of a time finding an OTR shirt that fits me as well as the 14.5 collar/36 chest Express 1MX Fitted shirts that is of at least decent quality. Express shirts feel like plastic and wrinkle just by looking at them funny.

9. Pahreen

Pahreen Well-Known Member

Rovereto's collar (long pointed) is awful. If they could do a normal point or a normal spread collar on a Rovereto with better solid colors, I would buy ten.

H&M's premium dress shirts (the ones that are folded) are decent and very slim.

I'm going to just get multiple MTM shirts from India when I visit this winter. Same price (around $40), but hopefully better quality, options, and fit.

10. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I agree with both points above. I wanted to keep about half of these, but I'm at a loss on their fit. I paid 20GBP for them and would be doubling the cost with alterations to make them fit. They're a fine shirt quality wise at $35...but at $70 not so.

11. bouchacha

bouchacha New Member

I'm 6'2", a 16" neck and a 36" arm length. This would all be fine and dandy if I weighed 230lbs, but I'm pretty damn skinny. As such, I have a very difficult time with finding off the rack shirts that fit me. I have had a custom shirt made for me which fits me absolutely beautifully, but it was $85 and I can't really afford that at the moment.

I'm looking for cheap shirts that can fit me. What is generally considered Medium by most national chains in the US fits me great except the sleeves end up being about 3 inches too short for my arms. Going up a size to Large gives me great sleeves, but a tent of a shirt. I tried buying cheap 16x36 shirts and having them altered by a tailor but the alterations are too drastic and leave the shirt looking pinched in. It would be great if I could somehow lengthen the sleeves on a Medium since it would leave the chest area intact.

I don't really care too much about quality at the moment, I'm just looking for shirts that are cheap and fit. I've tried Express, H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers (their supposed "slim fit") and various other venues to no avail. Any suggestions on where I should look?

Related: I also have a very difficult time finding jackets and coats that fit me as well. Any help on that front would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

12. SimonM

SimonM Active Member

bouchaca,

Have you tried H&M's shirts that are specifically labeled slim fit? They're some of the slimmest RTW shirts. The slimmest RTW shirts I've found though, are from Benetton. I'm not sure what their selection is like in the US or if they have different sizing in different countries, but the shirts I got in Italy fit very well, and I'm 6'4 165.

13. Swededude

Swededude Senior member

I've looked a bit back in the thread but not found the answer to my questions. How does Charles Thyrwitt and TM Lewin's slimfit shirts compare; both in the measurements (which one is slimmer) and qualitywise? Does anyone of them use MOP buttons for example?

Thx in advance!

14. bouchacha

bouchacha New Member

bouchaca,

Have you tried H&M's shirts that are specifically labeled slim fit? They're some of the slimmest RTW shirts. The slimmest RTW shirts I've found though, are from Benetton. I'm not sure what their selection is like in the US or if they have different sizing in different countries, but the shirts I got in Italy fit very well, and I'm 6'4 165.

H&M shirts constitutes the majority of my current warddrobe. They fit me fabulously everywhere except, they too, have the sleeves about 3 inches too short and so I end up rolling them up, like all my other shirts. I can find slim fitting shirts easily enough, but the real challenge is finding slim shirts with long enough sleeves.

I haven't tried Benetton yet, I'll give it a shot.

Not going to Italy anytime soon [​IMG]

15. StennyH2

StennyH2 Member

I am 6'4", 170 pounds. My shoulders are pretty broad - around 19 inches, but my chest and waist are thin (30.5-31 inch waist). Ideal sleeve length is around 36". I am looking for slim V-shaped casual shirts with long sleeves and total shirt length enough to tuck in.

I haven't really found anything that works for me. I have ended up liking vintage shirts made of stretch polyester in sizes too small for me because the shoulders will stretch to accommodate my width, but then the chest and waist will taper in. The only trouble is the sleeve and total shirt length are usually to short.

I've read this thread without any clear winners. Is anybody about my dimensions? Any recommendations?

I live in NYC.