• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, I'm usually in SW&D rather than MC...

I tried on some Brooks Brother's Black Fleece today and found that save for the sleeve length, a size 0 fit pretty much perfectly. The sleeves were atleast an inch short, perhaps about an inch and a half. I tried asking two associates for alternative suggestions and they only had, "Get the 1 and alter it."

Does anyone else have other brands I could try? I tried looking for some 15 RLBL to try, but no luck today.

oroy38

Reaction score
Van Heusen Trim Fit shirts are GREAT. My only gripe is that you need to have the sleeves slimmed out a bit for it to be perfect. But for the price, the no-wrinkle feature, and availability, you really can't argue. If you're want custom shirts, www.bestcustomshirt.com isn't a bad place to look. Their measurements and order form are very detailed, and their prices ain't bad either. To be quite honest, I've tried shirts from Armani, D&G, Gucci, Boss, etc, etc, and I don't truly see any reason to buy them over any other cheaper shirts I can find.

dopamine

Reaction score
I just tried on Band of Outsiders over the weekend for the first time and the fit was absolutely amazing...but the price was not. However, I have yet to find any cheaper brands that make OCBD's that are good for casual wear and are as slim cut. I honestly could care less about the material, it's the cut, especially the slimness in the arms and chest that are important for me. Anyone know of anything that can match it? I'm guessing it'd be difficult to find outside of expensive niche brands. For reference, I wear a 1 or 0 in BoO. Yes, I realize that this question has probably been beaten to death, but I've yet to find a good answer (perhaps one doesn't exist?).

bigbilly

Reaction score
Band of Outsiders is great stuff, but grossly overpriced IMHO. They use very cheap fabrics and the make is average quality; what you're paying for is the fit, which is fantastic.

super

Reaction score
dopamine what suit is that in ur avatar? thats freaking skinny i doubt anyone can move in that lol but it certain does look cool.

BTW how is ascot chang? is it worth the money? is it slim? im a skinny bastard with broad shoulders and chest

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
I just bought some express 1mx fitted shirts at 40% markdown. I own a few talbots, but they are too boxy. I wear size medium but my neck is 16.5. There aren't really any premium brands that are tapered enough for me body.

The express 1mx shirts work well for my body, which is more fitted than anything I can get from RL or Talbot. But before I say anything on them. I will put them through the wash and see how well they stand up. I have an express shirt from 2001 that is still kicking around, it warps funny but, an ironing takes care of it and the color and feel have held up great.

My measurements:

neck: 16.5
Arm length: 34
Suit jacket size: 42
Pant waist: 32

Hopefully washing does not kill these shirts.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by super
dopamine what suit is that in ur avatar? thats freaking skinny i doubt anyone can move in that lol but it certain does look cool.

BTW how is ascot chang? is it worth the money? is it slim? im a skinny bastard with broad shoulders and chest

The suit is a stock shot by Dior. Interestingly, that also pretty closely approximates the fit that I'm looking for. I've got pretty skinny arms :p.

jpo

Reaction score
Express shirts - interested in how those shirts hold up as well. They do fit me well, but I wasn't impressed by the quality. But, if it holds up ok, it would be cheap shirt for work days or whatever.

dzang

Reaction score
I recently picked up a shirt by the brand MINE for about $15 at syms in Falls Church VA, marked down from $30 and it fits me very well. I'm about 6 foot 145lbs and I usually wear a 15 but I got a 15.5 in MINE and it fit me great. Slim in the body, my only gripe is the sleeves are a tad short.

dopamine

Reaction score
I have to say...I just bit the bullet and bought two BoO shirts from Gilt. We'll see how much I like em.

temps425

Reaction score
The best fitting shirts I have are Faconnable LT (large tall).

I am 6'2" 196. They hang just right and aren't too constricting. Great quality, and look/feel good even with wear.

They are really nice because most tall editions for size L are TOO tall, and regular L are too short. This one works really nicely.

I think they are a great value as well. Not too expensive, but top quality IMO.

tripp

Reaction score
Since Land's End redesigned their "tailored-fit" shirts with much larger shoulders a few months back, I've been searching for replacement sources on a budget.

To my surprise, I found an option at JCrew.com. My memory/image of J Crew had been lots of baggy, worn-out casual clothes (local store, maybe). I requested measurements before purchasing:
POINTS OF MEASURE 15H34
Center Back Length 31.5
Across Shoulders 18.75
Chest Circumference 45.5
They didn't give me a waist measurement, oddly, but it's about 41 inches. It's a Thomas-Mason-fabric J Crew dress shirt. I have a 41.5" chest, so this is about what I'm looking for.

I also got a medium tailored-fit J Crew dress shirt: 19.5, 47, 44 - yeah, I'd hate to see the classic-fit dimensions; I originally thought these were the classic-fit dimensions!

The first was on clearance and the latter on sale. I am pleased with the quality of the Thomas Mason fabric shirt, but the standard fabric shirt's tailoring leaves something to be desired.

I also ordered two Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts on the advice of this forum. (One never came.) The measurements of the size 16 I ordered are very similar to the 15H Thomas-Mason-fabric J Crew shirts. The neck is a just a bit big on me at 16". I couldn't bring myself to order the 15H with less than 3 inches of clearance around the chest!

I guess I'll never understand why so many American shirt makers oversize their products nowadays.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpo
Express shirts - interested in how those shirts hold up as well. They do fit me well, but I wasn't impressed by the quality. But, if it holds up ok, it would be cheap shirt for work days or whatever.

i think express shirts fit better than other mall brands. Feels a little weird but a great daily shirt for the office that pairs well with a tie.

superlyduper

Reaction score
i apologize if this has been posted before, but any suggestions for a

cheap, slim fit, straight collar, plain white shirt, no pocket

shirt. I know express and H&M make these for about $30. Any other makers?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place that sells shirts with these or close to these specs? The measurements are from the only shirt that I own that fits the way I want it to.

shoulder to shoulder: 16
Pit to Pit: 18
Sleeve length 25.5
Top of collar to bottom of shirt: 30

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads