The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. visionology

visionology Senior member

Eh screw it, for this price you can't go wrong and with free return shipping.

Just picked up a Windsor Slim Fit, a Francomb Milan, and a Casual slim shirt.

If these fit def cheaper than tailoring shirts. I brought in two shirts Friday to get slimmed down and since they have to basically take the whole shirt apart its gonna cost around $30 each. Also getting them shortened, buttons moved, and pockets removed.

2. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

If you don't mind, how big is your drop? Also, if you're in the US, what did you end up paying in duties?
    about 8, so I my expectations with anything OTR are already low. No duties paid.
    I bought one TM Lewin shirt to see how they fit (15/33) and it fits great. I'm not experienced enough to compare it to other makers, but I love it. I'm 5'6"ish and 140lbs ish and it fits VERY good. Anyone else w/ a Lewin shirt, what do you think of the fabric?
    Like the fabric, although it is different depending on what shirt you order, I had three different types and all seemed to be pretty good quality.
    How long did it take you to receive them? I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and am still waiting... [​IMG]
    it was pretty quick - did you receive a confirmation of shipment email from them? I believe it took less than two weeks from order, and probably 5-6 business days once they shipped them out.

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

it was pretty quick - did you receive a confirmation of shipment email from them?

I believe it took less than two weeks from order, and probably 5-6 business days once they shipped them out.

Actually I received my shipment of Milan slimfits yesterday. It took about 2 weeks. The shirts are good, quite slim, fabric seems good (not cheap) and (Milan) collar is stiff enough to withstand washes. Overall, for $30 each, it's quite a steal!

I am expecting another shipment (blue shirts for $30) from them any day...

4. visionology

visionology Senior member

I'll be curious when I get mine to see how they stack up against the Tyrwhitt ones I have.

5. Seph

Seph Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Actually I received my shipment of Milan slimfits yesterday. It took about 2 weeks. The shirts are good, quite slim, fabric seems good (not cheap) and (Milan) collar is stiff enough to withstand washes. Overall, for $30 each, it's quite a steal! I am expecting another shipment (blue shirts for $30) from them any day...
    When you say "for $30 each, it's quite a steal" - what's the implication? Is it a better deal to find a $60 shirt that costs $30, or a $160 shirt that costs $100? We all get excited about super low prices, but there's just no way the quality will really be there for $30. After the buzz of the seemingly good deal is gone you're going to be wearing a cheap shirt and it will show (maybe after a washing or two).

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

When you say "for $30 each, it's quite a steal" - what's the implication? Is it a better deal to find a $60 shirt that costs $30, or a $160 shirt that costs $100?

We all get excited about super low prices, but there's just no way the quality will really be there for $30. After the buzz of the seemingly good deal is gone you're going to be wearing a cheap shirt and it will show (maybe after a washing or two).

Good point. But many people here have had good experiences with TM Lewin, so it seems like a (relatively) safe bet. I wouldn't buy Hillfiger or CK no matter how low their prices.

7. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Well-Known Member

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

How would this shirt fit me?

6 feet, 172 lbs.

Hey, Diesel - I see you don't disclose your location. Where do you live?
    Just curious.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

When you say "for $30 each, it's quite a steal" - what's the implication? Is it a better deal to find a $60 shirt that costs $30, or a $160 shirt that costs $100?

We all get excited about super low prices, but there's just no way the quality will really be there for $30. After the buzz of the seemingly good deal is gone you're going to be wearing a cheap shirt and it will show (maybe after a washing or two).

The fabric is nice. It's not some shitty specialty store poly blend. It seems to be well-sewn, and looks pretty good for now. Nice stiff collar. Looks and fits good. As long as it lasts through the rotation for a year or so, it's fine. There are members here who claim that their TML shirts lasted for years and year.

Don't get me wrong, I understand those are entry level shirts, but I think the return on investment is just fine here. Once I can allow myself to spend a couple grand for to rebuild my shirt collection, that's what I'll do.

10. TheDiesel

Hey, Diesel - I see you don't disclose your location. Where do you live?
    Just curious.

lol, why?

hahahah

11. TheDiesel

12. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

lol, why?

hahahah

Well, you seem unfamiliar with normal shopping.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Its called a value purchase. The shirts are comparable to what you get for $100 or more that you don't feel "cheap" wearing

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

The shirts are comparable to what you get for $100 or more that you don't feel "cheap" wearing

yeah, so far I can't tell the difference between the TML shirts and the $160 retail hugo boss stuff.. Of course we all know about HB though..

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

yeah, so far I can't tell the difference between the TML shirts and the $160 retail hugo boss stuff.. Of course we all know about HB though..

Actually, this is true. I just bought this for the sale price of $30:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.aspx/!15978

It looks VERY similar to a Hugo Boss shirt that retails for $125. The Boss shirt is a little more slim and creates a better silhouette, but I can get the TML shirt above altered - and still save about $75!!!

Also, the TML's collar is more stiff than the Boss collar. I don't think the latter will stand up to more than 3-4 washes.