1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Just thought I'd throw this in here: I asked for measurements on the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit shirts (for 15'' Collar and 33'' Sleeves): Across Chest: 42.05 Half chest: 56 Shoulder: 17.8 Half Waist: 48 I'm still trying to understand these figures [​IMG] EDIT: Ramuman: If you could provide some feedback on the York/Windsor slim shirts once you get them, that would be much appreciated!

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Are those cm? They sound way too big for a 15" if they're in inches.

3. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Definetely CM. Would be a big dude with a 42'' chest ACROSS with 15'' neck haha.

4. Seph

Seph Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Just thought I'd throw this in here:

I asked for measurements on the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit shirts (for 15'' Collar and 33'' Sleeves):

Across Chest: 42.05
    Half chest: 56
    Shoulder: 17.8
    Half Waist: 48

I'm still trying to understand these figures [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Ramuman: If you could provide some feedback on the York/Windsor slim shirts once you get them, that would be much appreciated!

I'm guessing these just don't make any sense at all...

Can't figure out what "Across Chest" is...

56 cm "Half chest" would be 22" wide
    48 cm "Half waist would be 18" wide...
    4 inch taper between the chest and waist is really dramatic.

And then, 17.8 cm shoulders would be 7" across, which is (of course) totally ridiculous...

5. Seph

If someone wants to shoot me measurements for the TM Lewin shirts, I will add them to the chart.

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I'm guessing these just don't make any sense at all...

Can't figure out what "Across Chest" is...

56 cm "Half chest" would be 22" wide
    48 cm "Half waist would be 18" wide...
    4 inch taper between the chest and waist is really dramatic.

And then, 17.8 cm shoulders would be 7" across, which is (of course) totally ridiculous...

I'm guessing the shoulder is each shoulder until the sleeve starts.

For a slim shirt is a 4" difference between chest and waist really dramatic?

7. mattjones

mattjones New Member

I really struggled to find slim fit shirts because I have slim shoulders and as I wanted a few shirts I didn't want to pay ridiculous prices and I have found topman is the best high street store for slim fit shirts. Their sizes go down to XXS whereas the standard sizes of shirts going down to 14" neck are just too big. Topman all the way!

8. Seph

I'm guessing the shoulder is each shoulder until the sleeve starts.

For a slim shirt is a 4" difference between chest and waist really dramatic?

Your shoulder comment is a good thought, but I've never seen an off the rack shirt with 15 inch neck and 14" yoke either... Even 16" shoulders would be pretty out of the ordinary...

And - yes - generally speaking, in off the rack slim fit dress shirts, the taper between chest and midsection (when measuring the shirt laid flat) will be around 2" tops. You can specify a 3.75" taper with Proper Cloth - but that is as far as we go too. Usually a slim fit shirt is slim in the chest as well though - so a really dramatic taper is not necessary.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I measured one of my off the rack shirts. It's an Italian 39 [15.75"] It's not much more then 7" from the inside of the collar to the start of the shoulder seam. If I measure just the seam at the top of the shoulder [No idea what it's called] it's less.

10. CanadaSteep

CanadaSteep Member

Glad to see Ben Sherman confirmed as a very slim fit shirt.
    The slimmest (straighest)fitting shirt I own, almost t-shirt like, is from Ben Sherman,
    and it is from the "vintage" collection. The fit is perfect, works w/jeans or adda cordurouy blazer for lunch.

PS - selling some stuff soon!

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

So I am thinking I will pick up 4-5 more TM Lewin shirts.. I love the 5 I already have, they already get a lot of time in my rotation.

What are the coupons that still work?

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Damn I just ordered 5 more shirts.. Ok I'm done there for a while..

Next come the shoes.. before the spring hits.

13. samba

samba Member

Has anyone compared the TM Lewin slim fit windsor shirts to Calvin Klein's slim fit non iron shirts (something similar to, but not exaclty like this: http://www.calvinklein.com/product/i...uctId=3303410), in terms of fit? I just bought 2 of the CKs from the prim outlets and like them a lot. The CK's have a silver tag on them and were like $30 each at the outlet. Since they are non-iron, look "fresh" at the end of the work day. These are the first non-iron I have owned. Good cheap work shirts IMO. If the TM Lewin fit anything like these, then I'll order some. thanks

ps. I'm 6 ft 1 in tall, 180 lbs, 41in chest, 34 in waist.

14. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

What are some cheap (<$50) shirt-makers in which I can find 15/35 slim fits? I got a BB slim fit on sale from an outlet a while back and it's still my absolute best fitting shirt, but alas I am too broke to afford the 3 for $200 standard pricing they have for those shirts on their site. Damn my lanky frame!

For reference: I'm 6'3", 160lbs and usually only find 15.5 or 16 neck shirts with my sleeve length which look like i'm trying to tuck in a moo moo...

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

So far, the best fitting shirts I've found, and my guy friends tell me about, are by Arbitrage. My friends like it because it not only do Arbitrage shirts have a perfect fit (especially for slim fits) but they are very stylish and detailed (fabric, stitching etc.). I've bought a few as gifts too and I concur. They are relatively new but spread out across the US in stores like Nordstrom, Fred Segal, etc. And online at www.arbitragestore.com (which is wear I usually purchase from).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Incidentally, wow those are some ugly shirts. Look at this sexy piece: http://www.arbitragetoronto.com/hoodie.JPG
    [​IMG]

16. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Incidentally, wow those are some ugly shirts. Look at this sexy piece: http://www.arbitragetoronto.com/hoodie.JPG
    [​IMG]

Armani Exchange would charge $90 for something like this and people would line up to buy them!

17. icedmocha

icedmocha Well-Known Member

Have shirts been traditionally slim fit? For example, did a regular shirt in the the thirties fit as a slim fit does now? If so why the change, and if not where did slim fit come from? Also, any opinions on Brooks slim fit?

18. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Armani Exchange would charge $90 for something like this and people would line up to buy them!

oh what the fuck is that...

19. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Have shirts been traditionally slim fit? For example, did a regular shirt in the the thirties fit as a slim fit does now? If so why the change, and if not where did slim fit come from?

Have you seen the average person today? People have been getting heavier for decades. We've gotten to the point that people have a very distorted sense of how heavy they should be.

20. Keroberos

Keroberos Senior member