1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. Icarium

Icarium Senior member

[The collars] were true to size for me.
    Can someone comment on the shrinkage in the collar for TM Lewin? A 15" collar fits me great, but if I buy 15" and it shrinks, I'm hosed. Thanks.

2. Keroberos

Keroberos Senior member

In the past six months, I have purchased several Lands' End Trim Fit Hyde Park OCBDs and Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Supima OBCDs. Today I measured one of each. Both shirts have been laundered but not machine dried. Both shirts are sized 16/34, all measurements are in inches.

Lands' End Trim Fit Hyde Park OCBD
    Length 30.5
    Chest 44
    Waist 42
    Hip 45.5
    Shoulder 19
    Sleeve 25
    Armhole 21

Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Supima OCBD
    Length 31
    Chest 43
    Waist 41
    Hip 44
    Shoulder 18.25
    Sleeve 24.25
    Armhole 20.5

Although unrelated to fit, I will mention that the Lands' End OCBD has thicker buttons and is made of heavier cloth. In all other ways, quality of construction and finish seems quite comparable to my admittedly inexpert eye. Both exhibit excellent collar roll.

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Can someone comment on the shrinkage in the collar for TM Lewin? A 15" collar fits me great, but if I buy 15" and it shrinks, I'm hosed.

Thanks.

Just buy your normal size

4. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Can someone comment on the shrinkage in the collar for TM Lewin? A 15" collar fits me great, but if I buy 15" and it shrinks, I'm hosed.

Thanks.

The collar on my TM Lewin shirt didn't shrink. If it does, it will be by a very small amount. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always hang dry instead of tumble dry.

5. visionology

visionology Senior member

Received my 3 shirts today from TM Lewin. Here are my thoughts.

- Windsor Slim Fit
    Love the shirt. I like the thick fabric, thick stiff cutaway collar, and while not overly slim its a good fit. Looks like a million bucks.

- John Francomb Slim Fit
    While I thought this one would be slimmer than the others it was actually bigger fitting than the other shirts I ordered. The fabric was ok but nothing to write home about. Fit good. The buttons were very thick and small. The collar to me was a bit too pointed and large. It is wearable but after seeing the cutaway it looks clunky to me.

- Casual button down shirt
    Very nice shirt, the fit is great, about the same slimness as the Windsor and a bit shorter to wear tucked or untucked. Soft collar but its a good feeling shirt.

I would def get more Windsor shirts and perhaps casual shirts but I would pass on any future John Francomb shirts. To me the fabric isn't as good, the fit is not as slim, and I don't like the collar as much.

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Received my 3 shirts today from TM Lewin. Here are my thoughts.

- Windsor Slim Fit
    Love the shirt. I like the thick fabric, thick stiff cutaway collar, and while not overly slim its a good fit. Looks like a million bucks.

- John Francomb Slim Fit
    While I thought this one would be slimmer than the others it was actually bigger fitting than the other shirts I ordered. The fabric was ok but nothing to write home about. Fit good. The buttons were very thick and small. The collar to me was a bit too pointed and large. It is wearable but after seeing the cutaway it looks clunky to me.

- Casual button down shirt
    Very nice shirt, the fit is great, about the same slimness as the Windsor and a bit shorter to wear tucked or untucked. Soft collar but its a good feeling shirt.

I would def get more Windsor shirts and perhaps casual shirts but I would pass on any future John Francomb shirts. To me the fabric isn't as good, the fit is not as slim, and I don't like the collar as much.

Which Windsor Slim Fit did you buy? I just got some TM Lewin Traveller ones and the whites are see-through... [​IMG]

7. visionology

Which Windsor Slim Fit did you buy? I just got some TM Lewin Traveller ones and the whites are see-through... [​IMG]

It was a white with large blue check, I don't see it on the website currently, must be sold out. It seems like a pretty thick fabric, I will have to double check to see if it is transparent at all.

The Francomb shirt, which is white, is somewhat transparent, although I'd say less than some cheaper shirts I have.

8. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

It was a white with large blue check, I don't see it on the website currently, must be sold out. It seems like a pretty thick fabric, I will have to double check to see if it is transparent at all.

The Francomb shirt, which is white, is somewhat transparent, although I'd say less than some cheaper shirts I have.

I bought these two, had them taken in at the sides and like them a lot:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.aspx/!27808

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...fWalesSC!15978

9. visionology

Did you take in the JF Milan one at the sides as well? I just spent $60 taking in 2 shirts the other day so I'll probably hold off on these for a bit. They are slim enough where wearing them tucked for me they should be fine. Untucked they are too long and slightly too big with the exception of the casual medium. If I didn't just blow around a grand on clothes this winter I'd probably get more, such a great deal. I do wish they offered the Windsor Slim fit in barrel cuff. I don't wear FC enough to warrant buying too many of them. I just ironed the three shirts to get rid of the fold marks and to me the check one I got seems pretty opaque, def moreso than the JF white shirt I got, although they are two totally different materials. I found the ones I got in a different size: My favorite one http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...miFitted!27758 The JF http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...itShirts!15239 The casual http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...tsBoston!24373

10. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

Did you take in the JF Milan one at the sides as well?

I just spent $60 taking in 2 shirts the other day so I'll probably hold off on these for a bit. They are slim enough where wearing them tucked for me they should be fine. Untucked they are too long and slightly too big with the exception of the casual medium. If I didn't just blow around a grand on clothes this winter I'd probably get more, such a great deal. I do wish they offered the Windsor Slim fit in barrel cuff. I don't wear FC enough to warrant buying too many of them.

I just ironed the three shirts to get rid of the fold marks and to me the check one I got seems pretty opaque, def moreso than the JF white shirt I got, although they are two totally different materials.

I found the ones I got in a different size:

My favorite one
    http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...miFitted!27758

The JF
    http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...itShirts!15239

The casual
    http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...tsBoston!24373

I bought that same large check slim fit and I love it. Sweet shirt.

11. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

I've also recently received my Lewins. Excellent shirt for the price. They're not super slim, but in no way tent-like.

Another few brands I can recommend are ( not widely available though):

Melchior ( I've only seen them i Paris though). Quite pricy ( around 100 Euro full retail), but excellent shirts with a perfect slim-fit. Best shirts I own

Tiger of Sweden: Also quite expensive and a somewhat restricted range. But very slim

Danish brand "Sand" ( also quite pricy) make some of the slimmest shirts around.

12. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Did you take in the JF Milan one at the sides as well?

I just spent $60 taking in 2 shirts the other day so I'll probably hold off on these for a bit. They are slim enough where wearing them tucked for me they should be fine. Untucked they are too long and slightly too big with the exception of the casual medium. If I didn't just blow around a grand on clothes this winter I'd probably get more, such a great deal. I do wish they offered the Windsor Slim fit in barrel cuff. I don't wear FC enough to warrant buying too many of them.

I just ironed the three shirts to get rid of the fold marks and to me the check one I got seems pretty opaque, def moreso than the JF white shirt I got, although they are two totally different materials.

Yes, I had to have the JF taken in as well. I pay $13 for each shirt.

Is this one see-through? The Traveller ones I ordered are... [​IMG]

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...itShirts!15239

13. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

14. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I was watching a french film and this guy has a drawer full of Christian Dior Labeled shirts still in the bags and he opens a new one everyday. Does Dior still make em like that or are they all under the Dior Homme Label as far as shirts go?

15. Icarium

Icarium Senior member

I noticed alot of the good colors in TM Lewin's Windsor Slim Fit are sold out (for my size anyway). Anyone know how often they tend to restock this stuff?

16. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I noticed alot of the good colors in TM Lewin's Windsor Slim Fit are sold out (for my size anyway). Anyone know how often they tend to restock this stuff?

You could send them an email... [​IMG]

17. Icarium

Icarium Senior member

You could send them an email... [​IMG]

Tried that a few days ago, still no response. Maybe they don't talk to Yanks. [​IMG]

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Tried that a few days ago, still no response. Maybe they don't talk to Yanks. [​IMG]

No they do. I have been emailing them and receiving responses regularly.

19. randomusername

randomusername Well-Known Member

I've bought some J. Crew button-ups but I'm not finding the collars big enough. Does anyone know of some with bigger collars? I like BR's but they don't have collar buttons which I'm not too into.

20. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I've bought some J. Crew button-ups but I'm not finding the collars big enough. Does anyone know of some with bigger collars? I like BR's but they don't have collar buttons which I'm not too into.

I have also tried to find such specifics in fashion brands but have not been able to. Most fashion brands have flimsy collars.

Have you tried Jantzen?