1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

The notion of buying a new shirt and taking it to the tailor reeks of LADA days to me, when a new LADA was delivered (after a 4 year wait), only to be taken to the mechanic for repair and tune-up.

Yes, but the shirt alteration is a one-time issue, not an on-going one as in a LADA... [​IMG]

I have taken TM Lewin shirts to the tailor to be altered and they have been worth every penny - and more!

2. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

tm lewin are well-regarded as a good value "workhorse" shirt on the internets. i would not describe them as "cheap" at all, even "maybe after a washing or two." no buzz to kill -- if they work for you, i'm not aware of a rtw dress shirt as good for double (or more) the price.
    When you say "for $30 each, it's quite a steal" - what's the implication? Is it a better deal to find a $60 shirt that costs $30, or a $160 shirt that costs $100? We all get excited about super low prices, but there's just no way the quality will really be there for $30. After the buzz of the seemingly good deal is gone you're going to be wearing a cheap shirt and it will show (maybe after a washing or two).

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Having followed this thread, it appears that the dress shirt is the one area where an iGent is lacking value options. We can pick up all sorts of amazing values for shoes and suits on eBay and SF B&S, but I haven't found such a thing for shirts. TM Lewis seemed like an option, but then people are saying that they are not all that slim and have to be further altered. The notion of buying a new shirt and taking it to the tailor reeks of LADA days to me, when a new LADA was delivered (after a 4 year wait), only to be taken to the mechanic for repair and tune-up.

I am in need of some slim (slimmer than the Nordstrom Tailored Fit) stylish shirts now that I have been improving all the other areas of my wardrobe, while keeping it value conscious and on a budget. Any concrete suggestions?

FWIW, I am needing 15.5 / 35 and would prefer French Cuff.

Cheers!

Not everybody needs his or her TM Lewin 'slim fit' shirt altered. We wear the same shirt size and they fit me just fine even though I have a slim body frame. Been buying them for donkey years and they are extremely durable. Its only if you want a "very" tightly fitted shirt that you will alter them.

Rather than dealing with hypotheticals why don't you just go ahead and take a $30 gamble!

4. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

I purchased 4 Lewin shirts not long ago and were really pleasantly surprised when they arrived. I have a thin neck (15") but fairly long arms (34.5 - 35") so it's really difficult to find affordable RTW business shirts with those dimensions. I sized up to a 15.5" on the Lewins in order to get the proper sleeve length, threw them in the wash when they arrived, and now the neck has shrunk to a better fit.

I can take measurements on a 15.5 Lewin if anyone needs. I found the slim fits to be a much nicer fit on me than the Tyrwhitt slim fits. For reference I'm about 5'11" and approx. 180lbs, and take a 40R suit with a 34" pant.

Have also found Ben Sherman shirts to fit me nicely, and I can get them on sale here for only $60 or so. Quality is not that great but they fit me well and they're cheap.

For any fellow Aussies, if you can get Country Road slim fit shirts on sale for $75 they're not too bad. They definitely fit on the trim side although I'm not a huge fan of the fabric (a bit stiff and scratchy). But for $75 the fit and plethora of colours/patterns is a pretty decent deal.

5. poodlerock

poodlerock Senior member

I'm a relative newbie to SF, and, like all of you, am appalled by tent-like dress shirts.

I have relatively broad shoulders to go with an otherwise relatively small torso (15/33 shirt), and find that slim-fit shirts often end up with shoulder seams on the inside of the shoulder. I have no problem wearing them this way, but . . . Is it appropriate/acceptable for a shoulder seam to be on the "inside" of the shoulder?

Also, I just set a record by using some form of "relative" three times in a post.

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Not everybody needs his or her TM Lewin 'slim fit' shirt altered. We wear the same shirt size and they fit me just fine even though I have a slim body frame. Been buying them for donkey years and they are extremely durable. Its only if you want a "very" tightly fitted shirt that you will alter them.

Rather than dealing with hypotheticals why don't you just go ahead and take a $30 gamble!

I took a gamble on their (John Francomb) slimfit shirts recently, had them taken in by a tailor and am quite happy. I have now ordered some French cuff shirts from them.

7. brewstafari

brewstafari Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post about my recent experience with Brooks Brothers slim fit. I actually found that the Slim Fit torso (at least the one used in their MTM program) is very slim - just as slim as my Thomas Pink slim fit shirts.

I ordered my first set of shirts with a 15" neck and a 14.5" Slim Fit torso w/ no back pleats, and the chest area was too tight - so I had to send them back for 15" torso taken in 1" on each side. The waist on the 14.5" fit me fine. I am about a 38" chest and 30" waist, 5'8".

Anyhow, point is - BB has been taking a lot of crap for having huge boxy, old-school style shirts, and in my recent experience - that is not at all the case. Their Slim Fit shirts are indeed slim fit.

8. monty10

monty10 Member

I took a gamble on their (John Francomb) slimfit shirts recently, had them taken in by a tailor and am quite happy. I have now ordered some French cuff shirts from them.

How did the "Francomb" shirt fit before you had it tailored- comparable to any other slimmer fitting shirts?

As I understand it the "Francomb" range is the slimmest range of TM Lewin shirts and comprises of two styles: the "milan slim fit" and "rovereto" which is slimmer still. Which one of these did you buy?

P.s: Here's the link- click on "cut" for description: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensFormalS...enFormalShirts

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

How did the "Francomb" shirt fit before you had it tailored- comparable to any other slimmer fitting shirts?

As I understand it the "Francomb" range is the slimmest range of TM Lewin shirts and comprises of two styles: the "milan slim fit" and "rovereto" which is slimmer still. Which one of these did you buy?

P.s: Here's the link- click on "cut" for description: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensFormalS...enFormalShirts

I bought this particular shirt:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...itShirts!27808

It gave me a "classic" fit but that's because I have a 37" chest and 31" waist, so I am slimmer than the average slim person (we are talking in US... [​IMG] ). It would have fit okay without alteration, but the $13 I spent having it taken in gives it the fitted, clean look. Well worth it.

10. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

I bought a dress shirt called Metro London. It seems to be slim. Does anyone know of this brand? Google didn't come up with any useful information.

11. monty10

monty10 Member

It gave me a "classic" fit but that's because I have a 37" chest and 31" waist, so I am slimmer than the average slim person (we are talking in US... [​IMG] ). It would have fit okay without alteration, but the $13 I spent having it taken in gives it the fitted, clean look. Well worth it.

Wow, almost exact measurements as me! Doesn't help that I can only comfortably wear a 15-15.5 collar. Maybe the "rovereto" would need no alteration at all as its even slimmer?

12. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Wow, almost exact measurements as me! Doesn't help that I can only comfortably wear a 15-15.5 collar. Maybe the "rovereto" would need no alteration at all as its even slimmer?

I ordered a Roverto, but returned it because I didn't like its long, pointed collar. I like the Milan's Prince of Wales collar. I don't remember how the Roverto fit - the collar turned me off!!! [​IMG]

The key is to get the size that will fit you in the neck and shoulders - and get the other part tailored. Tailors cannot alter the neck and shoulders, but can pretty much alter everything else.

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

mkarim - I have similar measurements as you, so if you can post the measurements of your TML shirts, that would be great. Thinking about placing an order. Thanks.

14. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

mkarim - I have similar measurements as you, so if you can post the measurements of your TML shirts, that would be great. Thinking about placing an order. Thanks.

What measurements do you mean? I ordered this one and had it taken in at the sides:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...itShirts!27808

15. chonga

chonga New Member

I know it's been repeatedly said over and over to get the shirts tailored for best fit but I was wondering if anyone can comment on the tmlewin slim fit shirts for my "dimensions". If anyone who ordered a 17in neck with 35 in arm length can comment, that would be awesome.
    (It is VERY hard to find a shirt to fit me OTR)

Tried Jos A Bank slim fit, still fits like a tent, tried BB slim fits also has me swimming in it. I generally have to go to 16.5 in neck to have it fit a tad tighter, but then im half choking all day long.

6'1, 210 lbs
    chest - 43"
    neck - 17"
    waist - 31"
    arm length - 35"

16. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I know it's been repeatedly said over and over to get the shirts tailored for best fit but I was wondering if anyone can comment on the tmlewin slim fit shirts for my "dimensions". If anyone who ordered a 17in neck with 35 in arm length can comment, that would be awesome.
    (It is VERY hard to find a shirt to fit me OTR)

Tried Jos A Bank slim fit, still fits like a tent, tried BB slim fits also has me swimming in it. I generally have to go to 16.5 in neck to have it fit a tad tighter, but then im half choking all day long.

6'1, 210 lbs
    chest - 43"
    neck - 17"
    waist - 31"
    arm length - 35"

You have a 12" drop. That's a lot. Try TM Lewin's John Framcomb and have it altered by a tailor. That's about the only way you'll get your fit.

17. chonga

chonga New Member

You have a 12" drop. That's a lot. Try TM Lewin's John Framcomb and have it altered by a tailor. That's about the only way you'll get your fit.

Thanks for the tip. Any idea how much that would cost me to get tailored? (I've heard $5 on up to $30 from reading on the forums)

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Any idea how much that would cost me to get tailored? (I've heard $5 on up to $30 from reading on the forums)

I pay $12 to have the sides taken in. It's well worth it.

19. Jase_29

Jase_29 Member

I ordered a Duchamp "Slim Fit" shirt from the UK a few months back, and was surprised to find I had to have it taken in as it was more tent-like than many regular fit shirts I own! The fabric was of high quality, but it should definitely not have been advertised as slim fit.

I'm a slender fellow, but a more portly friend of mine also ordered a slim fit Duchamp and while not as obviously billowy on him, it still wasn't anywhere near slim fit. There was simply not enough taper in the waist, and the arms also had too much room.

By comparison I was very impressed with the fit of Zara's slim fit shirts, and I picked a few up on my last trip overseas. They are good quality, have an excellent cut (including a centre-fold back, which looks good on a casual shirt) and were very good value.

Hope this feedback can be of use to someone out there!

J29

20. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

I have recently purchased two Truzzi shirts at Saks for 75% off ($80 down from $325). Man do these shirts fit lovely and have great construction. I tend to alternate between purchasing 15.5 (having the sides taken in / darted / sleeves shortened) and 15's (darted / sleeves shortended) and both their 15.5 / 15's fit me better OTR than any shirt I've ever tried on, including Kiton, Brioni, T.M. Lewin, Armani, etc etc.. In fact, looking at the 15 today it's possible I won't have to have anything at all done to it.

To clarify, I purchase 15.5's to potentially wear with suits ( I maybe wear a suit 5-10 x a year).