The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. aizan

aizan Senior member

does anyone know who makes size 14 30/31 shirts? all i can find are 14.5 32/33. [​IMG]

can a tailor make alterations, or do i have to start from scratch?

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Eton Shirts are fabulous, and have a nice slim fit to them. Even slimmer is Mulberry shirts - though the quality is no-where near Eton. Indeed, Eton does appear to be better quality than any other shirts I have owed. There is usually a good reduction on them during the sales in Harrods, and in their store near Holborn , London.

www.etonshirts.com
    www.mulberry.com

I just recently spent the entire day in Selfridges in london trying on all the shirtmakers shirts as well as a few on Jermyn street... here are my conclusions (my measurements - 5.5'' height, 38 chest and 30'' waist, 17'' shoulder, and unfortunately 32'' sleeve total...). I like a shirt with a 39-40 chest and 38 waist

Eton slim fit - they were expensive but fit me perfectly. 40 chest and 38 waist. real MOP buttons. my only issue was quite a wide spread collar. but otherwise i was quite impressed.
    Thomas Pink slim fit - everyone here says they're overrated... I dunno, they all looked nice to me, and their slim line fit me like a glove. now, at 80 pounds a shirt, I'm not so sure they're quite worth it, so I see what people mean. They also have some wicked colors, but I suppose there is better bang for buck out there.
    Armani Collezioni - they have a slim line, also a good fit, sleeves were a bit long for me
    Boss - have a slim line, also pretty good fit... like they collezioni also around the 70 pound mark per shirt, so a bit pricey....
    Richard James - believe it or not, their slim line was actually too tight on me. I couldn't do up the bottom button and my waist (pant) is a 30...
    Prada - They have several lines (3 I was told). their regular line is, well somewhat baggy. they have another called regent, or something like that, which was slimmer, but still not quite there...

Others:
    I have bought a few H&C shirts, I find their slim fit shirts are so so, but really the quality isn't great, they are darted in the back as opposed to cut slimmer (works if you have a hollow back like me but it can really mess up a pattern), and their double button collars are high and very stiff... that being said, when they go on sale for $50 each they're probably worth it.
    I've also got a few CT slim fits, their sleeves are a bit baggy and all 33'' (I think you may be able to specially order them at 32'' online). otherwise, decent quality and worth the money on sale.
    both have around a 40 chest and 38 waist...
    Lastly, H&M - I gotta say it, after all my hunting and searching and buying, my H&M slim fit shirts are still one of the best buys. I mean the quality isn't comparable, but I basically wear them 5 times with an undershirt and then toss them. at $50 a piece or so, they're more or less disposable shirts. They fit is bang on, they're modern and stylish, and cheap.

Anyway, this thread has been a great help to me, just thought i'd throw something back...
    Hope it helps

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

does anyone know who makes size 14 30/31 shirts? all i can find are 14.5 32/33. [​IMG]

can a tailor make alterations, or do i have to start from scratch?

Congratulations, you might be a candidate for MTM!
    seriously though, I've only found 14.5, at best with a 32. Check your neck to make sure you're actually 14 (I'm really a 15 but buy 14.5 shirts just to get the body fit). Sleeves can be shortened (best if taken in from the top). You may be able to special order them off some sites? otherwise after-sale tailoring is the best bet.

4. hehe

hehe New Member

5. Jferg4350

Jferg4350 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the "Create Your Own" shirt on the brooks brothers website? Im curious to see how it would fit but don't want to buy one before im sure.

6. Stevesamsonshirtmaker

Stevesamsonshirtmaker New Member

The problem is retailors are not re-tailoring!

Manfactured shirts should not be packaged which makes them easier for retailers as they are less likely to be asked for tailoring. As well shirt sizes should be not only neck ,but armhole as small medium or large. This armhole dictates the taper on the body.

7. partlycloudy

partlycloudy Active Member

Just this weekend I got the most amazing-fitting shirt from United Colors of Bennetton at the Mall of America outside Minneapolis.

I've never shopped there before, but I was very pleased with what I found. Usually I'm a small or a medium (5'5", but about a 16" neck) so it's difficult to find shirts that fit slim and can close on top.

I ended up in a Large from UCoB. It's an athletic fit, with broad shoulders, a taper above the waist, and a small flare below the waist. The sleeves were slightly long on me, but I'm ok with that as I'll be wearing the shirt with jacket or sweater more often than not.

Best of all, it was only $44US. I couldn't have asked for a better deal on a beautifully-fitting shirt.

8. hardcandy12

hardcandy12 Member

`Brioni . . . or American apparel?

9. ekaJ

ekaJ Active Member

^Unfortunately they don't seem to taper in the waist. Lousy fit.

10. Stevesamsonshirtmaker

Stevesamsonshirtmaker New Member

I would be happy to make you some shirts. Have a look at my site. Just google shirtmakers in Vancouver and you will see some reviews. I would hcarge you specially ( $69) for your first shirt as a threadmember. Contact me from my link to my site if you like or call me if you are interested.

11. kasimzzz

kasimzzz New Member

i think d & g shirts r very slim fit , n for me coz i wear small size datz very fit n attractive

12. TransparentCranium

TransparentCranium Senior member

So H&M shirts on me are pretty tent like at the waist. This is the slimfit model. MTM my best bet?

13. borderline

borderline Senior member

This armhole dictates the taper on the body.

How easy is it to alter the armhole? There has been discussion on taking in the sides and darting the backs of shirts, but would an armhole size reduction be possible/desirable?

14. Patrician

Patrician Senior member

Somewhere in crazy Europe with all the naked girls
    Where's the "definitive guide" in this thread? All I can see is a bunch of random posts of preferred brands.

What we need is a list that, well, lists different shirt makers and their type of shirts. [​IMG]

15. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Where's the "definitive guide" in this thread? All I can see is a bunch of random posts of preferred brands.

What we need is a list that, well, lists different shirt makers and their type of shirts. [​IMG]

Who is we???

There will be no "definitve guide" in a free world!