• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mikeczyz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greentorii
it's kind of amusing how I see all these recommendations of shirts that are like $200+ !!!

Any suggestions for a college student? ie shirt that's around $50
smile.gif

(other than H&M hopefully lol...that stuff falls apart)

i don't know how you feel about brooks brothers and their slim fit shirts but their semi-annual sale usually gets prices down to about $50/per.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeczyz
i don't know how you feel about brooks brothers and their slim fit shirts but their semi-annual sale usually gets prices down to about $50/per.

It depends on what kind of slim fit you're looking for. If you're going for the H&M slim, then BB's shirts will be huge.

Wupper

Reaction score
it's kind of amusing how I see all these recommendations of shirts that are like $200+ !!!

smile.gif

Check out the Zara slim fit shirts.

Beta

Reaction score

smile.gif

express.

Joe Roastbeef

Reaction score
i don't have the time, nor the inclination to read through all 31 pages of this thread, but could someone recommend a slim fit tuxedo shirt that will not break the bank?

felonius monk

Reaction score

smile.gif

Banana Republic has been making decent slim fit shirts, although not nearly as slim as Prada or D&G. If you want to spend a little more for finer fabric, check their Monogram line. There's a big sale on the web now...

contaygious

Reaction score
I really don't think D&G is very slim. I just bought a slim fit D&G the other week with darts already in hte back and still had to have it taken in or else there would be way too much excess for a clean tuck in.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I have trouble finding slim fit shirts that fit me well. I'm 5'8, have a 31-32" waist, and roughly 41" chest. Someone in this thread said it a while back, but it is really hard to find nice fitting slim shirts that fit when you have any upper body muscle. stupid lats.
frown.gif
I like the way it makes me look with my shirt off, but honestly it just makes it harder to look good in a lot of shirts. anyways, does anyone know if GAP ever sells their slim fit shirts in the brick-and-mortar stores? I only ever see them online.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
I have trouble finding slim fit shirts that fit me well. I'm 5'8, have a 31-32" waist, and roughly 41" chest.

You sound like you're in the same boat I am. In all seriousness, in my experience, the only way shirts will fit right is a custom shirt. The only alternative to that is to have them slimmed/tapered down in the body/waist with darts or the more complicated adjusting using the seams at the sides. The reason for this is that most RTW clothing assumes a 6" (US) or 7" (European) drop from chest to waist size. Rather unfortunate for us with a more "athletic" build. I have not found any RTW manufacturers that make shirts with a larger drop.

zub789

Reaction score
^^I am right there with you guys.
I am 5'10" 145lbs with a 29" waist and large chest.... I have one shirt that actually fits when tucked in, and that was after talking to the tailor, purchasing the shirt, tailoring it, trying it on, and then having even more fabric taken out of it...
I havent been able to find any OTR shirts for $50 that fit and dont balloon when tucked in...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zub789
^^I am right there with you guys.
I am 5'10" 145lbs with a 29" waist and large chest.... I have one shirt that actually fits when tucked in, and that was after talking to the tailor, purchasing the shirt, tailoring it, trying it on, and then having even more fabric taken out of it...
I havent been able to find any OTR shirts for $50 that fit and dont balloon when tucked in...

Same situation as you guys- 11 inch drop. The shirt that comes closest to fitting is RLBL, without a question. I have some hickey shirts, and they are still too big at the waist. I suppose I could have darts put in them for a few bucks, but I'm lazy. The important part is to find something that fits the chest, as it's always easy to add darts to a shirt.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
hmm, I didn't know about that standard drop in size from chest to waist in shirts. So that would probably explain why almost all of my shirts puff out of my pants when tucked in, no? Dammit...

what are these 'darts' you speak of?

amlai

Reaction score
hmm, I didn't know about that standard drop in size from chest to waist in shirts. So that would probably explain why almost all of my shirts puff out of my pants when tucked in, no? Dammit...

what are these 'darts' you speak of?

It's not that there is a standard drop in size from chest to waist in shirts as basically all clothing is tailored assuming those proportions. Suits and their corresponding suits will like have that drop in size (e.g. size 40 suit will have waist 34" pants). Just take a look at the sizing charts of most clothing manufacturers. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_stan...thing_size#Men

In 2004, a study was done surveying more than 10,000 people across the USA. They NYT had an article summarizing some of their findings. It says:
In the survey, white men ages 18 to 25 had, on average, a 41-inch chest, 35-inch waist, 41-inch hips and a 16-inch collar (that is raw neck size -- shirts are generally sized at least a half-inch bigger). From the ages of 36 to 45, white men came in at 44-38-42, black men 43-37-42, Hispanic men 44-38-42 and ''other'' 42-37-41.
Notice that except for the "other" category, all of the measurements come in as a 6" drop from chest to waist. Therefore, those of us who have a very V-shaped upper body are basically screwed. So yes, that is why you have that large amount of fabric ballooning out around your waistline.

Darts are essentially two crescent shaped folds of fabric that is sewn out of the back of the shirt. Essentially a seam is run across these folds and therefore, the shirt is "slimmer." You see these more commonly on the front of a women's fitted blouse to account for the bust / waist difference. I couldn't find a picture online, so I tried to take one, but it's still hard to see.
img1140compositecz5.jpg

On the left is the top half of the dart from the inside of the shirt. On the right, is the outside of the shirt showing the dart towards the bottom. On a striped shirt, you can sort of see where the darts are, but it is hard to see. On a solid shirt of course, it is pretty hard to see unless you are looking for them. The alternative is to have a tailor redo the side seams. I hope this makes sense.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Thanks, that explains it. Is it easier/cheaper to have a shirt darted than it is to have it redone at the sides? I've had shirts refitted at the side seams before, and it's usually at least 15 bucks per shirt.

amlai

Reaction score
Thanks, that explains it. Is it easier/cheaper to have a shirt darted than it is to have it redone at the sides? I've had shirts refitted at the side seams before, and it's usually at least 15 bucks per shirt.

I have no idea how much places charge for darts since the place I buy my RTW shirts from does it free of charge. I would think that it would be cheaper though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads