The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. djs488

djs488 Senior member

any other RTW gingham slim fitting shirts out there other than the JCrew ones that anybody can recommend?

check hickeystyle.com They have gingham's on sale right now (i think) and they are pretty slim fitting.

2. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

I like the TM Lewin slim fit shirts. for the price (25 GBP, on sale), it's a good buy and the fit is solid.

was there ever any consensus on whether the lewin slim fits are simply darted in the back, or are genuinely slim all over, including the arms?

3. itskub

itskub Senior member

4. horndog

horndog Senior member

How do the Black Fleece at Brooks Brothers' shirts fit?

5. djs488

djs488 Senior member

6. Janshi

Janshi Member

I'm actually *that* thin - H&M size small shirts are pretty much the only things I've ever found that actually are what I picture to be the ideal fit. I don't know my measurements (I will try to find out soon) but I'll take a gander.
    The H&M size charts state that their size small is neck size 15...I find 15 a tad constricting, so I'll say perhaps 15 1/2?
    I'm just a hair above 5'8".
    Waist is 28 (I am assuming that waist for shirt is like waist for jeans and trousers and the like)
    Chest is anywhere between 34 1/2 and 36 (again using H&M size chart) - I find H&M size small tops (sweaters, polos, etc.) to be just right.
    I'm more slender than anything - I'm working out and playing sports but haven't developed huge muscles or anything. Maybe one day I'll reach lean :p

Are there any real affordable choices for me out there? By affordable I mean Anything Below $150. I'm willing to shell out for a brilliant fitting shirt but as a student I can't really afford something too grand. I've tried a few places...BR, Express, DKNY etc...and the stuff I've read here about RL and BB has made me hesitant to check them out, though I probably will anyway.

Furthermore, I've read through the thread and seen loads of names but...where does one get all of that stuff? I know Tyrwhitt has a store in NYC, but that's about it. If there are any choice locations I should go to in New England (I'm in Maine) then please tell me.

Thanks.

7. Asch

Asch Senior member

Janshi, I don't think you'll find a slimmer-fitting RTW shirt than H&M's slim-fit Small. They're a fantastic fit on me, too, except they're too tight at the upper chest and neck to button up fully without pulling. So they're good for casual wear, but I'm still trying to get Jantzen to work for me for dress shirts...

8. falsestart

falsestart Senior member

Janshi, I don't think you'll find a slimmer-fitting RTW shirt than H&M's slim-fit Small. They're a fantastic fit on me, too, except they're too tight at the upper chest and neck to button up fully without pulling. So they're good for casual wear, but I'm still trying to get Jantzen to work for me for dress shirts...

for the money the h and m is pretty impossible to beat. I think your best bet is to find a good tailor. For $20 -30 bucks a shirt they could make adjustments to slim a shirt and adjust the sleeves for a better fit. Ultimately I have found for small guys like us knowing a good tailor is key. I would add that spending the extra money on having a great fitting shirt is well worth it.

9. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

was there ever any consensus on whether the lewin slim fits are simply darted in the back, or are genuinely slim all over, including the arms?
    Both. Slim fitting in the arm and chest, darted in the waist. They're the real deal.

10. dctanner

dctanner Active Member

Thom Browne's size 1 shirts do the trick for me, great slim fit.

11. dctanner

dctanner Active Member

Miu Miu is also great for slim.

12. itskub

itskub Senior member

Does anyone have the measurements for a Polo's Custom button down shirts?

The size chart says a Medium is 38-40" for each line...

13. Tonybag0dohnutz

Tonybag0dohnutz Senior member

Anybody know where I can get Seize Sur Vingt online, particularly their line of ls dress shirts? The refinery web site had them awhile back, but now they don't have any of the dress shirts, just other stuff. Thanks!

14. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I recently got a Land's End 'Tailored' fit shirt for about $30 and it fits me better than Brooks Brothers or Trywhitt 'Slim' fits. Here is a quick comparison:

Brooks v LE: LE is several inches trimmer in the chest and a little snugger in the waist. The LE arms are closer to the stated length - Brooks slim fit seem to run about half an inch short on me. The Brooks is slightly longer in the back.

Tyrwhitt v LE: LE is slimmer in the chest and comparable in size in the waist. The LE has a much less dramatic taper from chest to waist, which I think looks better. The sleeves on both seem pretty true to stated length. The LE is longer than the Tyrwhitt, the latter is barely long enough to stay tucked in on me.

Cost: LE was $31 on sale and under $40 regular price. Brooks is 79.50 but I usually only buy the 3 for $159 sales. Tyrwhitt prices are all over the place, but I paid $50 shipped to the US for mine.

Construction: The cotton is thinner on the LE compared to both, but I only have twill CT which is a thicker fabric in general. The Tyrwhitt had a lot of stray threads while the Brooks and LE were decently finished with maybe one thread loose on each.

I plan to buy more Land's End 'Tailored' shirts for general work day wear, but the other two look a lot better with suits in my view. Next, up I am going to try the made to order service from Land's End and the Brooks 'Select' or possibly MTM.

I may experiment with sending the LE shirt to mytailor or someone similar to copy. If anyone has experience with that I would like to hear about it.

15. Janshi

Janshi Member

I tried out Club Monaco's Slim Fit Shirts and they, surprisingly, fit quite nicely. Will need to be tailored on the arms, as they are a bit long, but otherwise they fit quite nice!

Asch & falsestart: Thanks for the advice! Yep, I think a tailor is going to be my new best friend...when I find one! [​IMG]