• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We prefer to sell our customers "trim fit" shirts that define the body rather than eclipse what we try so hard to define, our bodies. Even if you are not in shape a trim fit shirt makes you feel so much better about the way you look.
Our offering is; Aster, made in Italy which emulates a Borrelli or Barba but does not have the hand made characteristics. This is fabulous shirt company that few carry in the US. We have just recieved the final prototype from Hilditch and Key which I have been working on with them. It is a new shirt design in a slim fit which I tried on last night and was quite pleased. We will stock the shirt as part our Fall/ Winter collections. Lastly, we stock Purple Noon which is a division of CIT. Very trim and outstanding fabrics.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.wbztv.com/alist

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Finamore, but their shoulders are narrow too

True. Finamore too

However, I don't consider any of my Borrelli shirts as slim fitting

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
We prefer to sell our customers "trim fit" shirts that define the body rather than eclipse what we try so hard to define, our bodies. Even if you are not in shape a trim fit shirt makes you feel so much better about the way you look.
Our offering is; Aster, made in Italy which emulates a Borrelli or Barba but does not have the hand made characteristics. This is fabulous shirt company that few carry in the US. We have just recieved the final prototype from Hilditch and Key which I have been working on with them. It is a new shirt design in a slim fit which I tried on last night and was quite pleased. We will stock the shirt as part our Fall/ Winter collections. Lastly, we stock Purple Noon which is a division of CIT. Very trim and outstanding fabrics.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.wbztv.com/alist

Outstanding! I knew I should have swung by the store when I went up to Boston for Thanksgiving. How much are the Aster shirts? How much will you retail the H&K shirts for? Are they going to be constructed just like normal H&K shirts? I.e. matched patterns, etc...

Jon.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Our Aster shirts retail from $195.00 to $245.00 and we have a special order program with a minimum 3 shirt order at $285.00. I believe the construction to be the same in the H&K shirts with matching patterns. I am very excited about them and the prices will be less than Aster.

Best Regards,

Gary

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
I believe the construction to be the same in the H&K shirts with matching patterns. I am very excited about them and the prices will be less than Aster.

That's what I like to hear!
smile.gif

Jon.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The other problem with that is that most of us slim people don't have super slim shoulders, so a smaller size shirt will just not fit in the shoulders.

I agree. For me this is really a problem with outerwear type of things. For example if I sized down a Sterlingwear Peacoat as much as some people recommend I'd have to dislocate my shoulders to get the thing on.

I'm not sure how you truly slim guys handle shirts. I'm not slim and even for me things like Polo Custom Fit are nice but could be cut slimmer. Maybe I'm just not as round compared to other people with an 18" neck. The shirts that I've found to fit best are the Ben Shermans that come in neck/sleeve measurements but I don't know how they'd fit on a truly slim person.

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DMcG

I'm not sure how you truly slim guys handle shirts.

If I know I won't be taking a jacket off I will pull some of the excess material around back and tuck it in. It doesn't work on every shirt, and looks horrible if you have to take your jacket off.

I have a hard time finding clothes that ever fit the way I want, it's one of the reasons I've never really dressed very nice - it's a hell of a lot easier to find a small t-shirt that fits well than it is to find a nice dress shirt that fits even OK.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
One trick I read about elsewhere in the forum is to buy 1 size down, thus if you are a small, you need to buy an extra small. The problem is finding extra smalls. I know GAP makes extra smalls, but the neck is usually 13-13.5 in size, so you can wear the shirt, but you will be unable to button the collar up. The shirt will be strictly an open-collar shirt.

Jon.

That's unfortunately not a great option for those of us with long arms.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits. Great fit in the shoulder and chest. The waist can be taken in a bit but still much better than every other mass market shirt maker I've tried. And I'm not slim by any stretch of the imagination (5'10", 185lbs, 39 chest, 36 waist).

-Jeff

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have narrow, sloping shoulders, a 39-40 inch chest, 34 inch waist.

I used to think of myself as a medium, but either I have shrunk or my sense of fit has grown more acute, or clothing made for the US market has grown in size, or all of the above. So now I'm often a small.

A lot of what I wear in shirts is what I would call semi-casual, in that I wouldn't often wear it with a tie or with a coat and tie, and oftentimes the collars lack a provision for collar stays.

Some brands I like are
APC
agnes b
Barneys Co-op house label
Victor Victoria
H&M
even the Gap can do a decent shirt in some basic solid fabrics -- twills, etc. -- if I take a size small.

Among more traditional dress shirts, T&A is sometimes slim, and the shoulders are not too wide.

tbone226

Reaction score
RL Black Label shirts are fairly trim fitting as well...

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Polo Custom fit
2. Finamore
3. Barba
4. Brooks Brothers slim fit

These are the slimmest RTW shirts that i have tried, and most are still too big. If i get a size Small in the Polo Custom Fit then the fit is perfect but the neck is too tight to be buttoned and the sleeves are still too long. In short i hate the process of buying RTW shirts and am now strictly purchasing MTM. I have a great tailor that has a asian source for shirts. He does all the measuring and then sends it to the asian maker. Sea Islands go for $175 and he can copy any collar you bring him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads