• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Defining 1990s Movie

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Really? Why? I love that movie.

If I may...

The Kevin Smith guide to comedy:
Character says something ridiculously crude. Repeat.
The end.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
^^ what is that movie?

Chungking Express.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
True Lies was amazing. Arnold, Tom Arnold, and Bill Paxton were all great in that movie

+1

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Oh, and that "hacking" into a system by guessing a pw like that consituted hacking at all...

From what I've read about LulSec's Sony hacks, this is actually pretty damn close to reality.

adadan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
In terms of impact on world film it's much more of a defining work than 95% of the other films that have been mentioned in this thread. For me at least it's both THE seminal work of 90s asian cinema and probably one of the most influential movies made anywhere in the world during that decade.

Agreed. I was thinking more about defining the way people looked, acted, etc. during the 1990's, so I guess I was thinking more from a pop culture standpoint. Probably it did heavily influence people in some places, but not that I noticed in the mainstream USA. Wish it had, I woulda liked the 1990's a lot better...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I've got to say with conviction: American Beauty.

very much so.

1999 was probably the best year for film in my lifetime:

Fight Club
Magnolia
American Beauty
Office Space
Being John Malkovich
Eyes Wide Shut
South Park : Bigger, Longer, Uncut
Man on The Moon
Election
Detroit Rock City

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this thread, and I agree it's got to be American Beauty -- content on the surface but deep down yearning for more.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I dunno, Piob's thread.

What I will say is that for me the '90s was a halcyon time when everything seemed small and we had no problems yet cinema was dominated by insanity. It's like we needed to escape from our boring normalcy. So everyone on screen was doing drugs, and not just drugs, but herion, they were all gangsters and thieves and Appreciation stars and hit men, violence happened at the drop of a hat, and weird disconnected events all somehow came together.

Two Days in the Valley, Trainspotting, Killing Zoe, Shortcuts, Boggie Nights, Usual Suspects, The Professional, Heat, The Grifters, the Last Seduction, it was the decade of the dirtbag movie, but made funny and unrealistic so that the suburbanite fat happy audience didn't get too depressed.

Hyperrealism.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised Goodfellas isn't getting more love.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Surprised Goodfellas isn't getting more love.

It's usually thought of as more quintessentially 80s film even though it was released in 1990.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads