Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Defining 1990s Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Jun 27, 2011.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Aer we looking for films that define 90s cinema or films that define the decade itself? For the decade itself, I submit: "Go".
    Good choice. I've watched that one many times. If anyone hasn't seen it yet I'm almost positive it's on Hulu. Fight Club and Swingers were also definitive 90s flicks.

2. 72virgins

72virgins New Member

3. guest

guest Senior member

[​IMG]

honorable mention: empire records

+1 on these

hmm.. mallrats? i dunno i was a kid in the 90's. probably couldn't even see some movies mentioned here.

4. celery

celery Senior member

I don't know if it counts (1999), but The Matrix kind of blew everyone's mind and redefined action and special effects.

5. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I don't know if it counts (1999), but The Matrix kind of blew everyone's mind and redefined action and special effects.

From what I remember on Usenet at the time, The Matrix seriously blew the mind of many a Randroid. Speaking for myself, I was annoyed by the lame philosophical platitudes and gaping plot holes.

6. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Wayne's world

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

From what I remember on Usenet at the time, The Matrix seriously blew the mind of many a Randroid. Speaking for myself, I was annoyed by the lame philosophical platitudes and gaping plot holes.

You are, like, so cool.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

"The Truman Show" was so accidently of-its-own-time that it sympathetically attracted media attention to Jenny "Jennicam" Ringley, helping her become one of the Internet's first crossover celebrites. Yeah, it's easy in this age of Twitter and Facebook to take for granted the whole idea of broadcasting every mundane detail of your life in realtime, but it wasn't always this way, kids. Come to think of it, the Truman Show may have been more ahead-of-its-time than a true '90s time capsule movie.

Man, I really liked the Truman Show but never could get the Mrs. to watch it. At the time, she equated Jim Carrey with Ace Ventura. Actually I think she still does. But, yes, Truman Show was prophetic.

9. ma1

ma1 Senior member

even though it was released in '99, much more of a 21st century movie imo..

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If you're going to talk the Jenny Cam you have to talk CUSEEME.

11. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Has anyone said "Point Break"? If not I'm calling "Point Break".

Edit: Damn, someone said it on the first page.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Scream. It influenced (and in many people's eyes, ruined) the horror genre for years to come. [​IMG] Also, been mentioned before, but CLERKS certainly deserves high marks for this list. [​IMG]

13. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

You are, like, so cool.

Matrix, though it looked cool, was unbelievably bad sci-fi. It made no sense at al.. Machines harvesting people so they could be powered off their electrical brainwaves? That's ridiculously violative of basic thermodynamics.

I'd second Pulp Fiction, Go, Fight Club, and Swingers.

In a roundabout way, I think Fight Club spawned both hipsters and douchebags.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Matrix, though it looked cool, was unbelievably bad sci-fi. It made no sense at al.. Machines harvesting people so they could be powered off their electrical brainwaves? That's ridiculously violative of basic thermodynamics.

I'd second Pulp Fiction, Go, Fight Club, and Swingers.

In a roundabout way, I think Fight Club spawned both hipsters and douchebags.

A ton Sci-Fi gets the science wrong or takes great liberties with it. It's a fair criticism, but I disagree that means it's necessarily bad "Sci-Fi" in of itself.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Scream. It influenced (and in many people's eyes, ruined) the horror genre for years to come.

[​IMG]

I was thinking of this. It was sort of the beginning of the mainstreaming the "wink at the audience" school of film making that's since become pretty old hat. Scream 2 is even more Zeitgeisty. Timothy Olyphant's character is seemingly based on Quentin Tarantino and there's a whole theme of "crazy news media/everyone wants to be famous" that was very popular at the time.