The Declining Popularity of Tom Cruise

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Maybe people here are sick of Tom Cruise, too. His name doesn't come up as often as those of other celebrities with a signature look.

Here's a thought: his "peacock" style (black suits, flashy shirts, and "trendy" hair) has contributed to the decline of his popularity among the common man (or woman). What do you think?

2. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Sorry, I don't think his style has anything to do with it. His being a nutbar does.

A.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think the common woman loves that look, while the common man doesn't really care. The decline is, IMO, most directly correlated to the media coverage of his descent into insanity.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I think that the fact that he is an unpredictable annoying single-dimensional overrated little tosser has a lot more to do with it. Edit: Aaron beat me! Edit 2: And J. Edit 3: It just occurred tome; Techno Tim does a pretty mean impression of Tom Cruise! Well, either that or of MonkeyBoy aka Steve Ballmer! [​IMG]

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Nah,

Most of hollywood dress horribly.
    Brad Pitt with plantinum hair?!?!
    Alot of them look like they are going to class in the 80's.

Tom acting like a nutjob, bashing on well meaning Brook Shields, and supporting a sci-fi writer's cult/religion/scam however is the real issue.

6. stach

stach Senior member

He's pretty noisy for somebody in the closet. [​IMG]

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

But the self-importance of the Cruise style might make people think of his previous self-important statements, even if he is behaving well at the time.

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

But the self-importance of the Cruise style might make people think of his previous self-important statements, even if he is behaving well at the time.

I fail to see any sort of Cruise style, frankly.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Add me to the "nay" crowd. I've never found him to be stylistically distinctive -- in a good or bad way. I'm relatively celebrity indifferent, but to the extent I give a rat's @ss it's only because of the idiocy he spouts, not what he wears.
    For example, the fact that we have a close family member who suffers from bipolar disorder is sufficient to make TC persona non grata in our household. Whether he wears black suits and colorful shirts or sackcloth and hairshirts is a matter of indifference.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

He's just entered the end of his hot top spot. He will have to reinvent himself for another shot at the top. His clothes are neither here or there.

11. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I have to agree with the other posters. It's not his style (or lack thereof) that has done him in, it's his bizarre behavior and public displays of "whatever" that put him over the edge.

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

For me, it's not about the TC clothes, on or off screen.

The last on screen TC outfit to make a splash was his suit in COLLATERAL, which was, I believe, the last picture he made before he replaced vet publicist Pat Kingsley with his sister and began to do strange things in public.

His off-screen wardrobe throughout makes no positive or negative impression on me.

13. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

He's never been right, since TC made that incomprehensible movie, for Stanley Kubrick: EYES WIDE SHUT. JMHO

[​IMG]

14. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Nobody pays attention to celebrities' style. Except maybe Joan and Melissa Rivers, and that Blackstone guy with the list. Tom is just crazy, that's all.

15. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]