• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Decline and Fall of Helmut Lang

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, read it. Looks like the worst thing he did, moneywise, was jettisoning the jeans line.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in reducing the production of Helmut Lang denim, Prada was in a sense killing the goose that laid the golden eggs. "This may have been good for the image, but maybe not good for the business," Ms. Sozzani said. "The entire business was based on the jeans."

In like of the retail developments in the past 5 years, that was probably one of the biggest miscalculations in recent fashion history. Many more major designers, from Gucci to Ferre, have jeans regularly in their collections, and some (Dolce & Gabbana) present them as the centerpieces of some of their collections - to great success. This not to mention the proliferation of "premium denim", which has APC, Evisu, and Helmut Lang as benchmarks.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But in reducing the production of Helmut Lang denim, Prada was in a sense killing the goose that laid the golden eggs. "This may have been good for the image, but maybe not good for the business," Ms. Sozzani said. "The entire business was based on the jeans."
In like of the retail developments in the past 5 years, that was probably one of the biggest miscalculations in recent fashion history. Many more major designers, from Gucci to Ferre, have jeans regularly in their collections, and some (Dolce & Gabbana) present them as the centerpieces of some of their collections - to great success. This not to mention the proliferation of "premium denim", which has APC, Evisu, and Helmut Lang as benchmarks.
Fok, you are 1 post away from 4000 posts.
wow.gif
Jon.

sam

Reaction score
Hmm. You will surpass LA Guy in ~363 days (assuming linearity and constant avg. # of posts/day). For me to be #1, it seems that murder is my only option. You two have too much time on your hands. I suggest girlfriends.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my 4000th post. A useless one. Oh well. I have a fiancee, am looking for faculty jobs, writing manuscripts, and am getting married in a month or so, so I have no idea how/why I post so much. Maybe the fact that I work with computer models, and sit in front of the glowing screen about 12 hours a day, has something to do with it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'd say most professionnals who spend at least half their time in front of a computer take many small pauses to look at non-productive places like the styleforum. Well that's what I do....

sam

Reaction score
I was only teasing, LA Guy. I like your posts. They are second, however, to johnapril, who I find utterly incomprehensible, yet hilarious.

To get this topic back on track, why would I buy HL? Besides the suits---which are fabulous---you can get similar items at a *much* lower price point elsewhere (e.g. Yoko Devereaux). I suppose if I wanted a jean jacket with bondage straps I'm locked into HL.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say most professionnals who spend at least half their time in front of a computer take many small pauses to look at non-productive places like the styleforum. Well that's what I do....
"Small" is relative. "Non-productive" equally so.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His sweatshirts and jean jackets are really well designed and made of really good materials. And they are not much more expensive than streetwear brands, relatively spreaking, of course.
Because you can't, really. HL suits are pretty distinctive, and like Jil Sander, he has perfected a singular silhouette - lean, with narrow, slanted structured shoulders, minimal waist suppression (better hope that you are tall and lean), slim lapels, paired with straight leg or tapered, medium low rise flat front pants.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm. You will surpass LA Guy in ~363 days (assuming linearity and constant avg. # of posts/day). For me to be #1, it seems that murder is my only option. You two have too much time on your hands. I suggest girlfriends.
Ew, girls yucky, no.... j/k
tounge.gif
Seriously though, my work consists of periods of extremely boring lulls or a mad dash rush pace that on some days barely allows me to eat lunch. Jon.

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
Didn't like Raf Simons' designs...
sarcasm.gif
Haha, that's good, because he's actually replacing jil sander, not Lang. It turns out that I may be mildly marsupialed. And blind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads