1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Death of SAAB cars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by M. Charles, Dec 19, 2009.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Today the official death of SAAB cars is announced.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6961723.ece

I never owned one, but the owners I've known have been very passionate about them. For those who do/have owned them, what made them so special for you?

Have had a few.

A 1980 5 door GLE. This was a configuration they stopped bringing to the US in 1981 or so. Absolutely amazing car. Cavernous interior with the rear seats folded. Was in the passengers seat when we went off the road and airborne. Did a half twist mid air, bounced on the ground roof first and rolled over a few times. Ended up with car on its side. Climbed out of the sunroof. Pushed the car back onto all four wheels. The impact had not collapsed the roof and probably saved our lives. Car was of course totalled. Still miss that car.

A 1987 4 door. After the stellar accident performance of the GLE, Bought a 4 door in 1994. Kept on driving it till mid 2000s. Donated it to some charity in the last days of the tax write off. Should have kept it.

A 1993 3 door. This was the last year of the "classic" saabs. (convertibles were classic till 1994). Pretty good and solid car till the combination of an icy bridge, low sun and the snow flying off the suv in front caused a demise. Wanted to buy another one but got my wifes older volvo 850.

In the mood for something like this:
    [​IMG]

IMO Saabs were amazing cars. The ergonomics were unmatched. Several small things were a decade or two ahead of others. If you dropped you hand between the front seats, you could not miss the switch for the map light. Even now, in so many cars, one has to fumble towards the top of the rear view mirror to find the switch. The buttons for the front and rear windows were different to feel. The rear ones had a ridge across the middle. So one more operation that did not require taking eyes off the road. The seat position was very vertical and provides an excellent view of the road.

RIP Saab.

-

2. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

nothing of value has been lost

Volvo was and is far superior.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The standard 9-5 is a great car, especially for longer highway trips. Comfortable seats, just enough luxury, and a nice light feel on the road. Purists might not like it as much, but I never cottoned to the 900 or previous sedans.
    I have a 2004 that has had a small raft of body work done. Parking lot dings, mostly. The question now is whether to trade it and get a new 9-5 while the model still exists or being SAAB-like and thrifty, ride it to its demise for another 5 years.

4. Yo-han

Yo-han Senior member

had a '99 griffin, gearbox broke down three weeks after warranty exceeded, cost to fix it was twice the blue book value, rip worthless seinfed car.

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

I was a Saab fan for many years ... until in the middle of nowhere and on a holiday to boot ... my remote (lock/unlock/alarm) went dead. I was to discover there was literally no way to deactivate the alarm and start the car without an active remote.

I hear this technology flaw was changed in later models. But ... that didn't make up for what had happened. I moved on to other car brands.

6. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

This might seem slightly counterintuitive, but do you guys think now would be a good time to buy? My car just got flooded and I'm thinking that if the insurance company totals it a SAAB might be a good choice. Always wanted one and they've got to be cheaper now, right?

7. Nomad_K

Nomad_K Senior member

This might seem slightly counterintuitive, but do you guys think now would be a good time to buy? My car just got flooded and I'm thinking that if the insurance company totals it a SAAB might be a good choice. Always wanted one and they've got to be cheaper now, right?

Although I was a fan of some older models - I would say no.

You will face dwindling parts and service support and very low resale value (you may have a difficult time selling it at all a few years down the track).

8. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I looked at SAAB this past summer and yikes, the interior materials would be downright embarrassing in a car half the price.

I don't recall the interior being so hard and cheap two decades ago riding in a 900 convertible. I was just a kid so maybe my memory is off.

9. BoilerRoom

BoilerRoom Senior member

It's a shame SAAB had the misfortune of being partly owned by General Motors.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I looked at SAAB this past summer and yikes, the interior materials would be downright embarrassing in a car half the price.

I don't recall the interior being so hard and cheap two decades ago riding in a 900 convertible. I was just a kid so maybe my memory is off.

We looked at 9-3's a couple years ago and ended up getting the new bodystyle Jetta because my wife thought the the Saab seemed more like a Saturn

11. konadog

konadog Senior member

parents owned 2 saabs in late 80s and early 90s. the 900s and the 900 turbo. i thought they were really nice cars, incredibly solid and fun to drive. then i got a job that paid for my cars. got a 2002 bmw 325ci. my friend then got a 2002 saab 9-3. the saab was a piece of shit compared to the bmw, and the price was very similar.

12. melwoesblvd

melwoesblvd Senior member

those old 900s were amazing, musta torn the shit outta the headliner/seats as a kid though

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

...the saab was a piece of shit compared to the bmw...

those old 900s were amazing, musta torn the shit outta the headliner/seats as a kid though

People typically resort to using "shit" when they can't adequately express their point. Why don't you two try again? See if you can fine tune what you have to tell us ... without resorting to that ... well ... uhhh ... that shit -- I mean crap -- you said above.

14. Ilmari

Ilmari Member

I have now third Saab 9-3 ongoing. First two were my own, but recent one is a company car, so no personal money will be lost if Saab is going to be shut down.. I imagine that there are going to be problems on selling them after that.
    All of them have been excellent cars, high quality, nice engines (turbo torque especially).

15. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

Three pages and no "Something Always Almost Broken" or "Something Always Ass Backwards" jokes?

I am disappoint.

16. milosh

milosh Senior member

My friend has a 9-3, I love it.

17. mehhhh

mehhhh Senior member

Amazingly retarded design that utilized a longitudinal engine alignment in a front wheel drive car, shit transmissions that could not handle power, pea sized intercoolers, and hideous three spoke wheels should have killed them off in the 80s.

I wonder if they make stickers of Calvin wearing a Volvo tee pissing on the Saab logo in Sweden...

18. BB1

BB1 Senior member

Even though GM is still supposedly considering offers for SAAB, it is unlikely they will sell it to a new owner. The current SAAB models use so much shared GM technology that there is no way GM is going to turn over all that to some Chinese company for a cheap price. And who would want SAAB without the right to use any of the existing designs?

GM is like the Borg. Once they integrate with you, there's no turning back. In this sense, SAAB already died years ago shortly after GM took them over.