• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The death of Rag & Bone jeans?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I was walking through Barney's today and meandered over to the Rag & Bone section and assumed some items were on the wrong rack. They weren't. They're now doing washed denim, with RB15s that resemble Gap stone washed jeans from 1994 and RB23s in what looks like almost an acid wash. The subtle elegance of their previous seasons' denim appears to be gone.

I miss the days when the jeans were uncommon, and they did different denims in a one-wash, resin sprayed variety in diverse fits. This stuff just doesn't fit with the brand's core aesthetic, and I'm really not a fan. I'm not a raw-only person when it comes to denim, but this stuff isn't subtle and classy the way the original stuff was.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R+B is pretty gone dude.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's pretty sad. they had the premium market by the balls in 04, just their loss.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
R+B is pretty gone dude.

I was still buying it less than a year ago. I got a pair of raws and a pair of resin coated with grey weft (think they were called Shiny Indigo), both of which I really liked. This was just sad.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
it's pretty sad. they had the premium market by the balls in 04, just their loss.
Yeah it was the darling of SF for some time. Too bad. It seems an endless cycle though, make a name on 'quality' then when you develop the brand cachet just dump decent production and increase your margins.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Yeah it was the darling of SF for some time.

Too bad.

It seems an endless cycle though, make a name on 'quality' then when you develop the brand cachet just dump decent production and increase your margins.

Guess I can look forward to the day when I find light washed 3sixteen stationed between the Joes and Citizens at Nordstrom...

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair i bought from odin 3 years ago. They are the softest denim i own and sourced from the cone mills in north carolina. I hardly wear them anymore and might just let them go..maybe.

A shame they have resorted to releasing crap when it comes to denim.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
An affiliation with Theory seems to be the kiss of death for once-proud brands. Isn't this what ultimately killed Helmut Lang (jeans still debatably good, other stuff absolute ****). What else do they own/did they destroy?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
yes theory got their filthy hands all over it and taught them new marketing/managements skills = use name to sell cheap trash at high price

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like how I posted two yeras ago that theory bought them and everyone was like no they didn't.

I predicted this **** then and everything they've put out since has been garbage.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I like how I posted two yeras ago that theory bought them and everyone was like no they didn't. I predicted this **** then and everything they've put out since has been garbage.
I first realized this when I began seeing R&B in the Theory outlet store at Cabazon. I connected the dots from there. The real shame is that before then, it was much harder to size/fit R&B because of some odd cuts and consistency issues (oh, and the fact that at first size 32x34 and any odd waist sizes didn't exist). There was like a year-long sweet spot where they had both the fit and quality, and then **** got fucked up. I remember my first pair, in '06: They were RB1, the belt loops weren't properly tacked down, and one of the owners personally answered my emails and fixed the problem (by not only replacing the jeans, but by sending me the RB6 instead, since the RB1 wasn't the right fit for me). Also love the interview where the founders refused to answer the question about what they felt would be the next trend in jeans, since they didn't see denim as a "trend item," only to put this **** out the following season.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when I started becoming more active around here I purchased a few shirts and a jacket from S/S09 and I really liked it. I wasn't so impressed with the price spike and the looks of F/W09.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair from revolve a couple years ago and didn't like the waxy treatment and thin denim on that particular pair, so back they went. Think they were RB11. Wish I'd tried some of their other ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads