• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the death of coffee

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At home and work, I am fortunate enough to have incredible machines, but on the rare occasion I want coffee on the run, Stumptown seems to be the only place in NYC that can make a good cup. Dean & Deluca is awful, DD is like vinegar and starbucks is worse than ever given that ironic college kids have been replaced with unmotivated coffee careerists. I occasionally get cart coffee when I carve coffee the way one who crzves a burger gets a McDonald's burger but it's a shame in NYC there are so few places for decent coffee.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sort of coffee is served in NYC (or America in general)? From all accounts, by friends and colleagues who had been to the US, it's usually filtered coffee and really poorly done to boot.

Hollywars

Reaction score
I was in manhattan for a few days, and the only coffee I didn't like was some coffee from a jewish deli run by asians. Even the coffee at the jamaican restaurant was good.

mikeman

Reaction score
Where I live, my options are Starbucks or Speedway coffee with extra caffeine--no thanks. I really like my french press. I just wish I could get some good beans. Do you guys know of anywhere that has great fresh beans and ships?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
agree with OP. Small places with a solid cup are popping up with a little more frequency, but I still travel to Stumptown when needed.

and I agree that DD is awful, but I actually like their iced coffee.

FilMoola

Reaction score
Come to Miami if you love coffee
smile.gif

But seriously I like "Gorillas Coffee" in Brooklyn, last time i was there it was pretty good.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the hell are you on about? There are a bazillion independent coffee houses in NYC, all of which are better than that mass produced crap you're consuming. Look on Yelp to find something local, stop supporting garbage chain coffee shops.

And stop eating at coffee carts. Those things are a blight and need to be destroyed.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gimme! coffee
Originally Posted by mikeman
Where I live, my options are Starbucks or Speedway coffee with extra caffeine--no thanks. I really like my french press. I just wish I could get some good beans. Do you guys know of anywhere that has great fresh beans and ships?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a good machine, i am talking about when i need some in a hurry

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
What the hell are you on about? There are a bazillion independent coffee houses in NYC, all of which are better than that mass produced crap you're consuming. Look on Yelp to find something local, stop supporting garbage chain coffee shops.

And stop eating at coffee carts. Those things are a blight and need to be destroyed.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP needs to quit being a "Chicken Little" little whiny *****!!!!!!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although, it's not coffee per se, I got a double espresso from starbucks the other day and wasnt disappointed.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
At home and work, I am fortunate enough to have incredible machines, but on the rare occasion I want coffee on the run, Stumptown seems to be the only place in NYC that can make a good cup. Dean & Deluca is awful, DD is like vinegar and starbucks is worse than ever given that ironic college kids have been replaced with unmotivated coffee careerists. I occasionally get cart coffee when I carve coffee the way one who crzves a burger gets a McDonald's burger but it's a shame in NYC there are so few places for decent coffee.

Not sure what areas in NYC you frequent but I would say that at this point most Manhattan/Brooklyn neighborhoods have at least one or two small places with very good coffee. I either go a block or two out of my way for the good stuff or dont bother.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Have you tried Abraço or even better, 9th Street Espresso (10th and A/B is better than the one in Chelsea Market) ?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Although, it's not coffee per se, I got a double espresso from starbucks the other day and wasnt disappointed.

you obviously don't expect much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads