the death of coffee

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by thekunk07, May 2, 2011.

1. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I'm rarely in New York, don't drink coffee, hate hot dogs, and probably eat pizza 5 times a year total. However, when I am in New York, I like hitting up the shitty "regional" chains for coffee, the stands for hot dogs, and touristy pizza joints like Two Boots. I guess I try to recapture the young adulthood as a poser hippie that I never had [​IMG].

2. YoroiChuu

YoroiChuu Senior member

Where I live, my options are Starbucks or Speedway coffee with extra caffeine--no thanks. I really like my french press. I just wish I could get some good beans. Do you guys know of anywhere that has great fresh beans and ships?

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/...product/id/137

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

LOL, starbucks in Hong Kong is ~40 dollars and up.

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

LOL, starbucks in Hong Kong is ~40 dollars and up.

In HKD or USD?

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

In HKD or USD?
    Surely hkd, coffee from international brands is 2 to 5 usd in india

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Where I live, my options are Starbucks or Speedway coffee with extra caffeine--no thanks. I really like my french press. I just wish I could get some good beans. Do you guys know of anywhere that has great fresh beans and ships?
    www.coffeesofhawaii.com try the kona nightingale

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

How much of a snob are you? [​IMG]

Make your own blends and make your own siphon brews? [​IMG]
    I have still yet to try siphon coffee.

Just a low-grade snob. [​IMG] I buy fresh beans from my local coffee shop (they roast their own every couple days) and just make it one cup at a time in a cone filter. They have a siphon contraption at the shop, but I've never tried it. I'm also sort of against the fetishization of coffee at places like Blue Bottle. Not really against good coffee, it's just I can't stand waiting in line for 20 minutes for a $3.50 drip coffee.

8. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

I would just like to reiterate that Stumptown is the shit. I just wish it was a closer walk from work.

Kunk, you ever get their beans? Is it worth it? I'd hate to buy a bag and ruin with my horrible french-pressing skills.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm also sort of against the fetishization of coffee at places like Blue Bottle. Not really against good coffee, it's just I can't stand waiting in line for 20 minutes for a $3.50 drip coffee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

10. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Cheapass Cafe Bustelo from the corner bodega for me.

Then again, some days I don't wear pants, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

Of course. What's your budget, though? Jamaica Blue Mountain is the world's smoothest and arguably best. It's so good the Japanese have bought up most of the growing estates on the island and ship 85% of the beans back to Japan. http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/in...t&CategoryID=1 Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee or Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavour and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world; over 80% of all Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is exported to Japan. - Wikipedia Much more affordable and very, very, very good are the various coffees carried by Terroir in Boston http://www.terroircoffee.com/ read the reviews - http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?search=1

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yeah, i buy it all the time

I would just like to reiterate that Stumptown is the shit. I just wish it was a closer walk from work.

Kunk, you ever get their beans? Is it worth it? I'd hate to buy a bag and ruin with my horrible french-pressing skills.

13. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Culture on 38th makes one of the best cups in Manhattan. There's an italian place on 17th or 18th right near union sq that makes a great cup. South Side makes the best cup in Brooklyn. 6th Ave @ 19th st.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Do you just get regular drip coffee or opt for espresso or french press or something? I can't remember. I know you'll drink whatever you can find but i mean what you prefer.

We actually have some good places over here. I usually don't make it there but whenever i'm in the area i try to grab a cup. I usually just french press stuff at work since there is a hot water dispenser and i'll just use some nice george howell beans when i feel like something good

Next time i'm in nyc i'll have to go by stumptown. Maybe find me some of that monkey shit coffee somewhere too lol

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Ewww Coffee fanatics are the new D&D nerds. Can someone give them all a giant wedgie, I'm not big enough to do it to Kunk.