• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The death certification Dr.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm sitting at home with baby and Squeaky, the cat.

Fridaypictures002.jpg

There's a knock at the door, and it's my old friend Dr. Vickers.

He's retired now and he's as tight as a frog's ass. His house had burned down recently and he has to replace everything. One of the first things to replace is a mattress.

So he asks if I'll go with him to a mattress manufacturer. He's too tight to buy at Costco! I say sure, why not. Baby wants to stay home with the cat.

Here is Dr Vickers at the mattress manufacturer:

Fridaypictures026.jpg

And here is the good old Doc:

Fridaypictures030.jpg

He's haggles intensely with the guy which is gist for another thread. The mattress guy is a Sephardic Jew from NYC (as I am), and the Dr. is a born again Christian from Huntsville, Tx.

To say it was like a Cheech and Chong movie would be to put it lightly. It had to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Oh, how I wish I had videoed it for Youtube. Hilarious is an understatement.

Anyway, the Dr. buys a Queen Size mattress, box spring, and frame for $300 (pretty good deal I think). And I help him haul it off in his 10 cylinder Dodge truck.

I've known him for years, and sometimes used him for a Dr. but I've never known what he did in his early career. So I asked him. I was surprised when he told me that he was the prison Dr. at the state penitentiary at Huntsville. And that he was the Ob-Gyn at the Goree Woman's unit. That didn't sound too appetizing to me.

But then he told me that he had a side job too. I said really, what was that. And he related the following.

He was the death certification Dr. at Huntsville. I asked what that meant. He said that because of the Hippocratic Oath, Drs. can't participate in executions. But they sure can certify the executed person dead. And that's what he did.

This goes back to the 1960s through the early 1990s. He actually remembers when Texas used to "fry them" and used "old sparky". In recent years they have been killing them humanely
laugh.gif
, with a combination of drugs.

I asked him if he liked the work. He said "Hell, yes. He got $500 ( back then, it's probably more now), to certify them dead. I asked what it entailed. He smiled and said, "nothing but my signature"! I asked if he had witnessed many executions? He again smiled, and said "what do you think"?

I asked which was his most memorable certification. He said it was a notorious case in 1974 involving Fred Gomez Carrasco and hostages. They weren't actually executed in the prison, but killed, along with some hostages, in a famous bloody shoot out.

Fred Gomez Carrasco:

15533633_115674426887.jpg

For many years Texas and Florida were #1 and #2 in executions. I haven't followed it recently but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same.

Anyway Dr. Vickers is a great guy and Dr., and I certainly asked his permission to tell this story. I think that certifying them dead for $500 was a dream job and he agreed. I should have listened to my mom and became a Dr.
laugh.gif

BTW: Dr. Vickers predecessor at the Huntsville job was an old timer and went all the way back to Bonnie and Clyde. There's a prison museum in Huntsville and it has the original "Old Sparky". It used to have the actual car that Bonnie and Clyde were shot up in, but it's been removed.

Well, back to helping baby and the cat.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really interesting story
lol8[1].gif

I like your cat.

JB

riveroaks

Reaction score
Costco is too expensive? Oh my
crazy.gif

Where is this mattress manufacturer? I've had my for almost 20 years... Good thing I saved the sport sex for the motels and floors or would've worn the springs out a long time ago
tounge.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Texas leads by far in executions still.

I believe Florida still has "Old Sparky". In Alabama, it's "Yellow Mama."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads