• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The deal with Flusser

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
very few tailors (and he is not even a tailor) dress well. Most dress like crap.
I rather like the way Richard Anderson, Brian Lishak, & John Hitchcock dress.

In answer to the OP: As for Flusser ... I've seen him dress beautifully ... and I've seen him fall short. That can be said of everyone I know who dresses well ... in general.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I rather like the way Richard Anderson, Brian Lishak, & John Hitchcock dress.

In answer to the OP: As for Flusser ... I've seen him dress beautifully ... and I've seen him fall short. That can be said of everyone I know who dresses well ... in general.

David Ward .Lee Webb and Patrick Murphy are quite elegant...

Patrick grant the owner of Norton is very elegant ...

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

I think Flusser should be posting in Foo's "I AM BORED" thread. I think he can be quite successful, but he's done this for so long that he's bored and is experimenting. Add a dash of healthy ego, remove the constraints of having to dress conservatively for work and viola you get some truly terrible looks.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
I think Flusser should be posting in Foo's "I AM BORED" thread. I think he can be quite successful, but he's done this for so long that he's bored and is experimenting. Add a dash of healthy ego, remove the constraints of having to dress conservatively for work and viola you get some truly terrible looks.

Ohm , you made a few alid points in your reply.

Ego: A massive ego was needed to create his own brand and it is still there...

The constraints of office etiquette being removed ,Alan Flusser can do what he wants and the more eccentric the outfit ,the more coverage he is receiving...

Being Alan Flusser is part of his brand and he needs to wear outlandish combos to continue the Flusser's myth...

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Ohm , you made a few alid points in your reply.

Ego: A massive ego was needed to create his own brand and it is still there...

The constraints of office etiquette being removed ,Alan Flusser can do what he wants and the more eccentric the outfit ,the more coverage he is receiving...

Being Alan Flusser is part of his brand and he needs to wear outlandish combos to continue the Flusser's myth...

I do wonder how much of it is him dressing as part of his brand and how much is him dressing the way he would dress without the brand.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
I do wonder how much of it is him dressing as part of his brand and how much is him dressing the way he would dress without the brand.

It is impossible to know which part of his persona is the real Alan Flusser...

If you're becoming famous in a certain field ,especially in fashion , it is difficult to separate your perceived and provoked image and your real input in that mythical creation.

When a legend is born , schizophrenia is always in the background...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
It may not be so today -- I have little to no idea what he is doing these days -- but in the early days ... his "bespoke" was a rip-off of Anderson & Sheppard ... and even the A&S staff of that time thought as much.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
When a legend is born , schizophrenia is always in the background...

What becomes a legend most?

In the two examples below ... schizophrenia is as good an answer as any.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reissue of the Style and the Man is available on Amazon now. Is it worth buying it, what is updated? The shopping guide is removed, which makes sense anyway. I only have Dressing the Man, which I do not find very useful. I preffered Roetzel's or Esquire The Handbook of Style for more up-to-date information.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
It may not be so today -- I have little to no idea what he is doing these days -- but in the early days ... his "bespoke" was a rip-off of Anderson & Sheppard ... and even the A&S staff of that time thought as much.

It was and Alan Flusser is still a bit of a sartorial fraud...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads