• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DB Stare

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It has struck me that people in Manhattan have generally dressed a bit better since the financial crisis. Less business casual, more suits, fewer odd jackets, more ties, more pocket squares, fewer truly terrible shoes. Not all of this is quality, of course, but overall the effort level seems to be higher.

But one thing I have noticed. DB seems to freak people out these days. All the ones I wear are solid gray or dark blue. I wear them maybe 5% of the time. Always with very plain everythign else: either a solid shirt with a discrete tie or a patterned shirt with a solid tie, and sometimes all solids. Still, every time I do, I get stared at. A lot.

This never used to happen and I used to wear crazier DBs accessorized with much more crazy. I take it the DB's day is finally over and regular joes now see them as frock coats?

Interestingly, three piece SB does not generate the same astonished stare.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I get stared at. A lot.

It's because you're buff now and know martial arts.

BTW...

There is a blue version which is really just as good, though I love the brown a smidge more.

...I'm finally getting the blue chalk stripe made up...also as a 6x2 DB like the brown chalk stripe.

I look forward to freaking out Manhattanites.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you sure this is really happening, Mike? I am more of physical outlier than you are and I don't feel like anyone's looking at me like that. Certainly, nobody has ever said anything.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I am more of physical outlier than you are and I don't feel like anyone's looking at me like that.

People can't see you unless they're tying their shoelaces.

OTH, people see Manton all the time because of the Victoria's Secret billboards.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

People can't see you unless they're tying their shoelaces.
OTH, people see Manton all the time because of the Victoria's Secret billboards.

When I sit on his shoulders, we look like a two-headed, mixed-race Frankenstein monster.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Joking aside, I have to admit, I rarely feel very conscious about what I'm wearing or become aware that anybody is looking askance at me. So, in all likelihood, it's simply my lack of shame and awareness at work, and not so much that nobody thinks I look odd.

I have received compliments from strangers before, though. And when that happens, I do begin to worry I have dressed clownishly.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

When I sit on his shoulders, we look like a two-headed, mixed-race Frankenstein monster.

What's the look when he straddles your shoulders?

I bet that even Manhattanites freak out when a voice comes out of that location.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, if you believe any of the fashion magazines, double-breasted jackets are more fashionable now than they've been in years. Mike, maybe people are just checking out your trendy duds.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have received compliments from strangers before, though. And when that happens, I do begin to worry I have dressed clownishly.

Do what GDL does. Take private cars to avoid the hoi polloi during the work week; then, disguise yourself as one of them during the weekends to blend in.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't think I am imagining it. At least once, in the office, the reaction was unescapable. Also, I do not notice the same stare with SB, so it can't simply be my good looks.

Last Wed I was in SF, SB blazer, OCBD, cotton pants, basically a California Tux with no tie, walking along the embarcadero to the Ferry building and a carful of people went by and several women shouted "NICE SUIT" at me. I really don't know if that was meant as hipster-ironic. I mean, it was a nice jacket, but hardly eye-catching. But a jacket of any kind is so rare there nowadays that who knows.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, like I said, it could be because they think you look fashionable and are simply noting to themselves the DB trend in action.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every time I wear a DB, someone asks me if they are back in style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads