• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Davinci Code

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Going to see it?
Boycotting it?
Could care less?

There are some very serious discussions on why this movie is being banned around the world, even in non-Catholic countries. There are also some very serious discussions going on about why the movie sucks so bad its nearly unwatchable.

Anyone want to discuss why Jesus's 'divinity' being tarnished by a work of fiction is such a huge deal? Would it seriously ruin your day if he married a normal human woman, and maybe had a child? I'm interested to know.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've read the book (purchased at a thrift store). I will likely see the movie on DVD when it comes out. I preached a sermon on it last Sunday. The book is so riddled with basic factual errors that it's impossible to believe anything that's said in it. However, there are so many people with such poorly informed faith that many are falling victim to it.

The book is decent suspense beach reading. Some of the dialogue makes you want to jump off the nearest roof, although the conspiracy and intrigue are fun. It does well in the general 'page-turner' sense. There are probably hundreds of books published every year that are its equal in writing.

For a good article from a non-Christian perspective see 'The Da Vinci Code Crock' at Salon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, Dan Brown is no Umberto Eco. However, all of these books when translated into film all tend to be mediocre at best. For example, the excellent "Club Dumas" by Perez-Reverte was adapted into that Depp vehicle, "The Ninth Gate." Its only saving grace was that stylistically, it wasn't terrible.

I can't claim to ascertain whether Jesus was divine or not but certainly, I can understand its controversy. What I don't understand is the controversy surrounding Harry Potter.

I've never read Dan Brown.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will probably see it just because it seems interesting enough and I've never read the book. I consider myself religious, being brought up Catholic, but I am not a part of any church and, quite frankly, I am very cynical of the Catholic church and it's teachings. I am reading an interesting book, "American Gospel" by Jon Meacham which explores, in a historical context, the role religion played in forming our nation and also the thoughts of some of the Founding Fathers (Benjamin, Adams) on religion, church and Jesus Christ. Anyway, I am probably the target audience for any church conspiracy movies/books, so I'll see it but from what I've heard, it doesn't strike me as being worthy of the controversy surrounding it. I'm sure the movie studio, though, loves all the publicity, good and bad.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Speaking of the controversy, there was an article by a Catholic priest who had worked with Mel Gibson on 'The Passion' who said he was approached by the Da Vinci Code marketing department who suggested he start a boycott of the movie. They apparently had the plan all laid out. He said he refused to be a part of any boycott simply because that helps the movie more than it hurts.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
For the record, I actually quite enjoy the Harry Potter books and movies. I own all of them.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slim, I'd second AlanC's comments on the writing: it is a typical beach read. I read it a couple years ago maybe, and found myself several times saying to myself, "hey, that can't be...". (where o where to put the final period?)

My church's publication for the laity published almost an entire issue devoted to debunking the falsehoods of the Code. I wanted to phone the editor and author(s) and scream to them, "its a NOVEL for cryin' out loud!". (Is that period placed correctly?)

It is a pretty fascinating tale, and a plotline that was almost perfectly devised for a blockbuster film. I think it is interesting to note that many people who for years debated whether Jesus was even a "real" person (arguing instead he was mythological) are now arguing whether he sired a child. All the uproar is a bit laughable.

I think I'll wait, like AlanC, for the DVD. I expect, however, the lines outside theaters will be long tomorrow and into the weekend.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the birkenstock wearing, kleenex in sleeve crowd who read 2 books a week and take great pleasure in slamming Dan Brown.

For christ sake, they judge him with the same severity that they read Hemmingway. Dan Brown is a pop writer. He is the Britney Spears of novelists, and he hardly claims to be otherwise. Why not just read the stupid thing, marvel at its success, ponder it a bit, and move on? It seems as if the DaVinci code separate people into 3 camps:

The throngs of people who are totally taken in by it. These people are typical ly not very smart.

Then, you have the Middleburry snobs who just have to slam it just in case someone thinks that they might like it. It's like the guy who always says "eww" when there's some male nudity in a movie so as to not appear homosexual.

Then there's the small amount of people who take it for what it is, a book to read on an airplane, and move on with their lives without launching into that tiresome, ass ripping editorial about how it's emperical swiss cheese and the dialogue is horrible and what have you. Who goes to a Bon Jovi concert then writes about how the band uses dominant seventh chords dissapointingly?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I am not going to see it simply because I do not want to be subjected to Tom Hanks's hair for two hours. Even Audrey Tautou can't make up for that.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I am not going to see it simply because I do not want to be subjected to Tom Hanks's hair for two hours. Even Audrey Tautou can't make up for that.

His hair in this movie could be the scariest thing all year. He looks like an overweight, older version of that girl he played in the sitcom he was in years ago.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

I'm quite dissapointed that Hanks would do this movie. The man's worth as much as a small country by now, and I doubt a man with the talent and artistic panache to pull off Forest Gump, Cast Away, Philadelphia etc... is going to do this film. I'm sure it won't be horrible, but once you reach the level of Tom Hanks, you can really pick your projects more carefully.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I wont go see it. Not because of any conspiracy but just not be lumped in with the rest of the people who are going to be marveling about this movie by the water cooler on Monday. The Name of the Rose and Holy Blood Holy Grail were royally raped for a plotline. I remember reading about how Brown had been offered using this book for a season of 24 but passed because he specifically wanted it to a be a blockbuster (and a bigger paycheck). Either way it's not something that merits Tom Hanks and Ron Howard's attention. This whole thing would have made a great B movie, which is how the book reads.

IIRC, when describing Robert Langton (sp?) in the book he used the term "Harrison Ford in Harris Tweed" not "Tom Hanks with a mullet".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads