1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight - Suit Discussion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Jul 20, 2008.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

i would be more amazed if you guys were impressed, lol, you cant please everyone.

i believe morgan freeman's comment was a joke.

Hence my :)

The suits did not seem to have any flair and the ties were dull. I was expecting better, TBH.

2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I tried but I can't get to into the whole collar obsession.

I thought the overall effect was quite good and that both Bale & Eckhart were well dressed.

3. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    For my tiny knowledge of such matters, I thought that all of the actors were fairly well dressed.

The only question that I have is whether (hopefully) there will be a resurgence of the 3-piece.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried but I can't get to into the whole collar obsession.

I thought the overall effect was quite good and that both Bale & Eckhart were well dressed.

All his collar needs is a ... little push.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cantabrigian

I knew what you were talking about and when possible I prefer my collars to fit better but I tend to take things as a whole and on that basis, I thought it was good.

6. DocHolliday

I knew what you were talking about and when possible I prefer my collars to fit better but I tend to take things as a whole and on that basis, I thought it was good.

I'm just baffled at why Armani wouldn't do better. They had a showcase in what was sure to be one of the summer's biggest movies and they couldn't bother to make the coats fit properly? If I tried on a RTW suit and it fit like that, I'd put it back on the rack.

They went for slick, a look that demands proper fit, but didn't pull it off. Even Morgan Freeman's Trad wardrobe fit better.

7. Cantabrigian

That is a good question - you'd think they would have tried a bit harder. (I'm assuming it's a matter of effort since Bale isn't exactly a difficult fit.)

Especially since Gorgio's comments on SR made it seem like they were looking to grab a slice of that dwindling business.

8. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

That is a good question - you'd think they would have tried a bit harder. (I'm assuming it's a matter of effort since Bale isn't exactly a difficult fit.)

Especially since Gorgio's comments on SR made it seem like they were looking to grab a slice of that dwindling business.

and not to mention that they even did PR on the fact that they did the suits. I said this when I first saw that they did the suits that I wouldnt have pegged armani for this role, doesnt strike me the Bruce Wayne would be wearing MTM armani.

Now Quantum of Solace and the Tom Ford suits I cant wait to see.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I'm just baffled at why Armani wouldn't do better. They had a showcase in what was sure to be one of the summer's biggest movies and they couldn't bother to make the coats fit properly? If I tried on a RTW suit and it fit like that, I'd put it back on the rack.

They went for slick, a look that demands proper fit, but didn't pull it off. Even Morgan Freeman's Trad wardrobe fit better.

Yeah, but in Wanted Freeman walked around in three-button suits with all the buttons buttoned. Where the hell was the Wardrobe department?

10. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

I know for Christian Bale bulked up a lot for the first batman ( coming off his role in the machinest where he was anerixic, he gained something like 100 lbs back), and he complained about the suits not fitting him in the movie. Maybe its the same deal for the sequal as well.

11. null

null Member

Were the stripes on stripes meant to be humorous? I didn't find that humorous at all.

It's a 'rule' for a reason... Too many damn stripes...

12. m_wave

m_wave Senior member

I was too distracted by the huge gap between Bale's collar and his neck to notice much else. Poor showing by Armani there.

I was actually wondering if this was done for dramatic intent it was so obvious.. ie. trying to fit into his father's clothes

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

i think you guys may be missing that this is actually a movie. not an armani showcase.

14. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

i think you guys may be missing that this is actually a movie. not an armani showcase.

haha yeah.

15. DocHolliday

Are you aware of how these things work in Hollywood? Product placement is big business, and, yes, it's meant to showcase the product. Armani's even built an ad campaign around the film.

16. jwcarter

jwcarter Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with the fit. Although, I hated the scene where Wayne is standing there with a collar that is as flat as anything I have every seen. It was the biggest spread, reaching to his shoulders even.

Still love Armani though.

17. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I can't believe no one has made a single comment about how flowy and, dare I say, BAGGY his trousers were!!

There were scenes where he was walking and the pants looked like parachute pants. I was honestly shocked.

Harvey Dent looked better than Bruce Wayne in many scenes. The only thing I liked were the spread collars...but the actual fit of the collars were also a bit off.

Oh, and while I absolutely LOVED the movie, did anyone else think it went on a weeee bit too long??

18. R-H

R-H Senior member

I wasn't very impressed with the suits in this one. Batman Begins was a much better suit movie.

I do have to give credit to the Joker for helping bring back the 3-piece though.

19. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

I wasn't very impressed with the suits in this one. Batman Begins was a much better suit movie.

I do have to give credit to the Joker for helping bring back the 3-piece though.

did armani do the suits in that movie also?

20. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I'm quite surprised that no one has mentioned Lau! That character, in my view, had by far the best wardrobe in the film. His fits were much better than any other character other than maybe The Joker (yes, I'm being serious - sure it was costume, but all of his clothes were spot on in terms of fit).

Also, where did Dent get his Two-Face suit so quickly? I may be remembering things differently than they actually happened, but didn't he escape from the hospital and then show up in literally his very next scene wearing that suit? And it's not as if he could have gone home and diced two of his old suits together - the one half was gold lamÃ[​IMG] or some such. He must have a pretty good tailor! [​IMG]