1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight: 1st Review

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Do you read Hellblazer?

I don't read superhero comics, I'm a fan of japanese teen girl comics though.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't read superhero comics, I'm a fan of japanese teen girl comics though.

It's the comic featuring John Constantine.

3. fareau

fareau Senior member

It is interesting hearing some of the differing perspectives on this film. To me, the previous Burton/Schumacher interpretations smacked of mockery, like someone who never opened a DC comic reading the original scripts and deciding that the story of a masked crime-fighter was so fanciful and silly, it should be instilled with a camp and carnival atmosphere to ensure that nobody would doubt the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director. As a former pre-teen comic reader, I found these films watchable, but frustrating.

What I found appealing about Batman Begins is that it tried to fashion a somewhat "plausible" world in which a regular human being could become a highly trained and equipped vigilante, and would find himself opposing equally refined and equipped vilains. I imagine for people who grew up reading the comic series, a movie that tries to establish this premise and yet minimize the suspension of belief (like Batman Begins) is going to be better received........And, perhaps, for people with more interesting lives who did not need to read comic book drivel as a child, watching a movie that tries to adopt a believable stance in the Batman story must seem laughably portentous.......to each his own. I am very interested in seeing the next installment of this Batman series, although it will grimly be the final appearance of a very talented actor..........

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I really find it hard to believe that anyone actually prefers the Joel Schumacher batman movies over Batman Begins. I mean, I guess I'm staring at evidence to suggest this, but somehow my brain cannot, nay, REFUSES to process this information.

I would not hesitate to put Batman Forever and Batman and Robin in the category of "two of the worst movies I've ever seen".

Mr. Freeze? Poison Ivy? REALLY????

This is like someone (under 40) telling me that their favorite candy is black licorice. I know that statistically, it must be true, it's just that if that's the case, you are rarer than Unicorns.

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

It is interesting hearing some of the differing perspectives on this film. To me, the previous Burton/Schumacher interpretations smacked of mockery, like someone who never opened a DC comic reading the original scripts and deciding that the story of a masked crime-fighter was so fanciful and silly, it should be instilled with a camp and carnival atmosphere to ensure that nobody would doubt the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director. As a former pre-teen comic reader, I found these films watchable, but frustrating.

Exactly. Though it's worth noting that there was a camp period even in the comics (as a direct result of the TV show).

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

It's the comic featuring John Constantine.

Worth reading? Where should I start and is it collected in some form, I don't want to start buying 25 pages comic books every month and wouldn't know where anyway...I appreciate graphic novels if they're well done although I rarely read some. The best would be an amazon book that I'd ad to my read-list, please do the work for me [​IMG]

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Exactly. Though it's worth noting that there was a camp period even in the comics (as a direct result of the TV show).

I once read a piece outlining how the movies parallel the evolution of the comics, with the first "Batman" reflecting the dark Deco '30s (Like the early comic character, Keaton's Batman even kills some people, IIRC), "Batman Returns" the vampy '40s, "Batman and Robin" the outrageous '50s and then "Batman Forever" the campy '60s. Doesn't make the last one a better movie, but it was still interesting.

You could even say Batman Begins reflects the dark-knight detective reimagining by Adams and O'Neil in the '70s. The villain fits perfectly, too.

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Worth reading? Where should I start and is it collected in some form, I don't want to start buying 25 pages comic books every month and wouldn't know where anyway...I appreciate graphic novels if they're well done although I rarely read some. The best would be an amazon book that I'd ad to my read-list, please do the work for me [​IMG]

The Family Man was IMO, the best story in Hellblazer and you can find it collected here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hellblazer-Fam...4664476&sr=8-9

Dangerous Habits formed most of the inspiration for the Constantine movie, IIRC.
    http://www.amazon.com/John-Constanti...4664476&sr=8-3

Neil Gaiman also did an issue or two of Hellblazer, if you enjoy his work.

Re: Batman Begins. I thought it took much of its inspiration from Batman Year One and was made just different enough so they wouldn't have to pay Frank Miller any royalties - but perhaps I'm a cynic.

re: Katie Holmes. I could watch her read the phone book. It's only a few more years until her contract with Tom ends.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I'm looking forward to this movie, and I HOPE it is better than the first. I agree that they took a few items out of Miller's Year One, but there was too many extraneous BS. And I think Iron Man is one of the finest comic book hero adaptations made.

Before being accused of not being a comic nerd and told to GTFO... I have been a collector since high school and have the original first runs of the comics mentioned here: Miller's Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and the first issue of Constantine.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just re-read Year One this morning for the first time in probably 15 years, and it is still great. Dumbasses should have made that into a movie.

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

I agree with that. I think it was going to be based on Year One when Darren Aronofsky was attached to direct.

12. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

From what I read, Aronofsky's version would've been even darker, with Bats being a seriously fucked up dude who likes dressing up as a bat. The Batmobile would've been just an old cadillac or chevy with like a bus engine or something crazy like that.

I don't think his plans got very far tho. A shame, but it seems like Nolan's going in the right direction with Dark Knight.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm looking forward to this movie, and I HOPE it is better than the first. I agree that they took a few items out of Miller's Year One, but there was too many extraneous BS. And I think Iron Man is one of the finest comic book hero adaptations made.
    phew... I'm glad at least one comic book nerd somewhat agrees with me there... [​IMG]

14. lithium180

lithium180 Senior member

The thing that I really felt ruined batman begins was the editing. On a big screen, every action scene had so many quick cuts of blurring and flashing lights. It felt like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen.

Flashing lights are no substitute for solidly constructed longer shots.

15. Soph

Soph Senior member

16. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

The thing that I really felt ruined batman begins was the editing. On a big screen, every action scene had so many quick cuts of blurring and flashing lights. It felt like an epileptic seizure waiting to happen.

Flashing lights are no substitute for solidly constructed longer shots.

That was my biggest problem with Batman Begins.

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I like how people are denigrating Batman for trying to be "serious", and moving away from the midlife "campy" image - and yet letting Bond slide for doing the same. I am waiting for someone to say how much they miss the crappy gadgets and Roger Moore wooden acting in the Quantum Of Solace thread.

Anyone else?

I actually thought that the "fighting" in Batman Begins was incredibly well done. I mean, yes, its an "action" movie and people expect there to be all kinds of stylized fight choreography and etc. But I think the too-fast-to-be-clearly-seen fights, and the disorienting camera work during the fight scenes was probably one of the most original and realistic parts of that movie. Anyone else who's been in a fight with five or more people simultaneously can back me up on this.

18. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone who likes old batman movies with the fruitloop outfits and horrid acting is a clown.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Could we rename this thread "Official Internet Tough Guys thread" ? kthx

20. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

This is like someone (under 40) telling me that their favorite candy is black licorice. I know that statistically, it must be true, it's just that if that's the case, you are rarer than Unicorns.
    I ain't never seen no Unicorns. Must be on account of the mounds of black licorice in my room. Seriously. Salt licorice is the best, followed by All sorts. MMmmmmm. licorice. What about the Long Halloween? I think that has got to be my favorite Batman story, followed by Year One, followed by Dark Knight Returns. I might lost any credibility for saying this, but I also REALLY enjoyed the Nightfall saga.