1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight: 1st Review

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Jun 27, 2008.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Why? Iron Man has well written dialogue, well acted, it is funny and not full of random macDojo-shaolin-temple-one-liner bullshit that takes itself seriously. Completely different films. Iron Man is mostly a comedy IMO, with a superhero story as backbone.
    I was under the impression you were agreeing with the review, whose primary complaint seemed to be that the movie wasn't sincere enough. I was contrasting that with the outright goofiness of Iron Man's story. Anyway, Iron Man was enjoyable and it was definitely funny. I guess I'm still a comic book nerd, but I'd prefer superhero movies to take a less ironic tone with the source material. Plus Doc is right, preferring the camp version of Batman is downright retarded.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What did I do to dare come into a Batman thread to diss the film? I'll be on my way. Batman Begins - awesome flick, very honest piece of work

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

What did I do to dare come into a Batman thread to diss the film? I'll be on my way. Batman Begins - awesome flick, very honest piece of work
    Wow, take it easy. I don't think anybody was getting upset.

4. Skyler

Skyler Senior member

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Plus Doc is right, preferring the camp version of Batman is downright retarded.

I like camp well enough. Love the old Adam West Batman, for example. But I just thought the George Clooney Batman flick was terrible as a movie. I can't say I enjoy it on any level.

Hope we didn't drive you off, gdl. We comic nerds enjoy a heated debate.

6. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Plus Doc is right, preferring the camp version of Batman is downright retarded.
    SNUH! NEWT! BORT! MINT!

7. gdl203

Wow, take it easy. I don't think anybody was getting upset.
    You're calling me retarded and I'm the one who needs to take it easy? Sorry if I offended your comic-book-nerd side with my views on just how massively shitty Batman Begins is but I'm still entitled to my opinion without getting insulted. I think the Burton Batman movies are a million times better than the pseudo-cool and dark-shaolin BS of Batman Begins. If it was tongue in cheek like Kill Bill 2, I could see the attraction, but it's just pure garbage for pre-teen boys IMO

8. RJman

9. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Like the v-neck thread, it's not that 'deep.'

10. dusty

dusty Senior member

You're calling me retarded and I'm the one who needs to take it easy? Sorry if I offended your comic-book-nerd side with my views on just how massively shitty Batman Begins is but I'm still entitled to my opinion without getting insulted. I think the Burton Batman movies are a million times better than the pseudo-cool and dark-shaolin BS of Batman Begins. If it was tongue in cheek like Kill Bill 2, I could see the attraction, but it's just pure garbage for pre-teen boys IMO
    I was referring to Rex Reed's comments, not yours. Good work on insulting every fan of the movie in the thread with the 'pre-teen boys' bit though. Also, Doc and I were referring to the Schumacher version, not Burton's.

11. gdl203

I was referring to Rex Reed's comments, not yours.
    Whoever you were intending to refer to, you still called me retarded since I do prefer the camp version. I did not insult anyone however by stating that the movie was marketed to pre-teen boys (IMO). Reading comprehension problems?

12. Soph

Soph Senior member

Can we all agree that Katie Holmes should stick to marrying crazy scientologists? I watched Batman Begins on DVD and its much more satisfying without the poorly acted and cutesy Dawson's Creek interludes. <press fast forward> Hence, why her part has been recast.

13. gdl203

I watched Batman Begins on DVD and its much more satisfying without the poorly acted and cutesy Dawson's Creek interludes.
    I agree. Her scenes (and especially the last one) are cringe-inducing

14. dusty

dusty Senior member

Whoever you were intending to refer to, you still called me retarded since I do prefer the camp version. I did not insult anyone however by stating that the movie was marketed to pre-teen boys (IMO). Reading comprehension problems?
    Again, the Burton version is a little campy but is sure as hell not the camp version. And you didn't say a word about marketing, you said it's garbage made for pre-teen boys. That opinion was supposed to be about marketing? What does that have to do with anything?

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Bring back Uma as Poison Ivy. Most hilarious movie villain ever.

16. gdl203

And you didn't say a word about marketing, you said it was made for.
    Same thing - made for, written for, sold to, marketed to. Target audience IMO. Are you done? Am I officially allowed to have a negative opinion on that film now?

17. dusty

dusty Senior member

Same thing - made for, written for, sold to, marketed to. Target audience IMO. Are you done? Am I officially allowed to have a negative opinion on that film now?
    Not the same thing, seeing as how one insults fans of the movie older than 12 and one does not. Anyway, the problem is your hissy fits, not your opinions. I never said you weren't entitled to your opinions and I even agreed with you a couple of times.

18. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]

^ MP did a nice job as catwoman at least for a Tim Burton film.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

That Batman movie is a masterpiece; Qui-Gon-Jin survived his fight with the devilish-looking baddie, moved to earth and fell to the dark side. However he didn't forget his lessons about fear taught by that extra from the gremlins and decided to pass them on to American psycho. Then shit goes down, stuff starts exploding and veteran actors get the SAG version of welfare before our teary eyes. In the end the two white ninja fight to the death to stop a train from makin' them citizens craaazy. This whole bullshit manages to last 2hrs.

I've been watching American blockbusters recently and must say Constantine was much better...

20. RJman

I've been watching American blockbusters recently and must say Constantine was much better...

Do you read Hellblazer?