• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dark Knight: 1st Review

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The most terrifying thing in the movie wasn't the joker, but the close-up of Maggie Gyllenhalls's face on an IMAX screen when you're 3 rows from the front. Couldn't they have found someone attractive? Anyway, two face was horribly done. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. Overall, it was a great film though, and Ledger's Joker was inspired. He really did dissolve into the role, and you don't see that happen very often.

SPOILER

Aside from Gyllenhall and two face, my only other disappointment was that one of the boats didn't get blown up. I would have been happy with either of them blowing, really. In real life, someone would have flipped that switch. I don't buy in to the fundamental goodness of humanity bit.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The most terrifying thing in the movie wasn't the joker, but the close-up of Maggie Gyllenhalls's face on an IMAX screen when you're 3 rows from the front.

Oh man, I thought I was going to be sick. They used the worst lighting possible.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure who else saw it on IMAX, but I have to say, even though I was right up front and it was hard to follow the action sequences because they were so fast and we were so close, some of the scenes, like the view of hong kong, or when he jumped off a building, were completely envelopping. It was really really cool.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i apologize if this has been brought up but i just saw the movie and wondered did anything happen after the credits? i didnt stick around and thought about it after i got home.

Shraka

Reaction score
Spoilers:

I don't think they took advantage of twoface either. He needed his own movie to explore the character. The way they did his face made me think "No way" so that was a bit annoying. Still, it was far better than Tommy Lee Jones Twoface.

I personally don't think they needed twoface in this movie. The whole "Light Night / Dark Night" thing was nice, but I think they got obsessed with it at the sake of storyline. If they'd had Harvey Dent get scarred and start to fall into TwoFace towards the end, then had him disappear as they finish up with the joker, I think that would have worked better. Have TwoFace happen next movie.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The most terrifying thing in the movie wasn't the joker, but the close-up of Maggie Gyllenhalls's face on an IMAX screen when you're 3 rows from the front. Couldn't they have found someone attractive?
Her brother Jake was busy, g33k.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jake would have been the Prrrrrfect Rachel Dawes.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Her brother Jake was busy, g33k.

I'm gonna agree with the **** above. I've said it in perhaps a dozen different threads, but I have a severe dislike for Maggie Gyllenhall. When I see her face I just want to crush it in a vice. I was actually hoping the joker would give her a new smile. I'm so disappointed with hollywood's lack of vision.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks biatch^

Also, I wonder why no one has put "What doesn't kill you makes you stranger" in their sig yet? And, there are going to be A LOT of jokers for halloween this year.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There were quite a few good lines in the movie and the script was generally very well written.

"Some people just want to watch the world burn" was one of my favorites.

edit: good idea. Time for a new sig to go with my new avatar.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Maybe you could spell it right?

No no no, don't tell him. It's much more amusing.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The batteries in my keyboard are dying. Fixed though.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I don't get the hate on Christian Bale, although I agree the voice is a little over the top. But the sleek coolness of Bruce Wayne makes up for it, plus its fun to hang out with friends and ask for random things in the Batman voice. Everyone knows he's a great actor, and the amount of work he put into the role far exceeds that of any other Batman.

I think that Ledger transcended the "recently-deceased" phenomenon, but I'm not 100% sure. I need to see it again in non-Imax.

I was bugged by Rachel, just never bought her, and I agreed that Two-face needed his own movie.

But the #1 thing that I liked about this film was its unpredictability - I felt the Joker really added such a chaotic element that, unlike the first Batman and most other action flicks, I genuinely didn't know what would happen. Like other great thrillers such as Collateral and Ronin, there was true suspense rather than the Mission Impossible/Spiderman/whatever variety where things are more color in the line. Other than the fact that Batman would live, I didn't ever feel "Jeez, saw THAT coming from a mile away." Maybe others who were less engaged feel differently, but I was sucked in and emerged physically and emotionally exhausted. Which is really all I ask from a film.

gdl, what'd you think? I didn't see your take ...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I don't get the hate on Christian Bale, although I agree the voice is a little over the top. But the sleek coolness of Bruce Wayne makes up for it, plus its fun to hang out with friends and ask for random things in the Batman voice. Everyone knows he's a great actor, and the amount of work he put into the role far exceeds that of any other Batman.

I think that Ledger transcended the "recently-deceased" phenomenon, but I'm not 100% sure. I need to see it again in non-Imax.

I was bugged by Rachel, just never bought her, and I agreed that Two-face needed his own movie.

But the #1 thing that I liked about this film was its unpredictability - I felt the Joker really added such a chaotic element that, unlike the first Batman and most other action flicks, I genuinely didn't know what would happen. Like other great thrillers such as Collateral and Ronin, there was true suspense rather than the Mission Impossible/Spiderman/whatever variety where things are more color in the line. Other than the fact that Batman would live, I didn't ever feel "Jeez, saw THAT coming from a mile away." Maybe others who were less engaged feel differently, but I was sucked in and emerged physically and emotionally exhausted. Which is really all I ask from a film.

gdl, what'd you think? I didn't see your take ...

I thought Bale was fine. I never thought too much about the batman voice. Doesn't he just do it to disguise his real voice? I'm not so sure how else he would go about it, and Bale has some major voice skills. You should hear him switch between his American and English accent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads