The Dark Knight: 1st Review

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Jun 27, 2008.

1. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Obviously you didn't see BM?

He nailed Ennis del Mar even better (on top of "nailing" a couple of other characters). And I think that character was somewhat more complex than [ laugh] ..the Joker (apologies to the comic book fans).

That they didn't give him the Oscar for BM proves how screwed the Academy is. Giving him the Oscar for Batman (posthumously or not), proves they are totally screwed.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I saw Brokeback but didn't think his effort was nearly as substantial as in Batman. People won't remember Brokeback years from now for the acting since for the most part since it was a gimmick film. That isn't to say the acting wasn't good but at least to me there was nothing that really stood out about it other than the obvious. With Batman, Ledger will always been known for Joker and the fact that it's his final role will only serve as an exclamation point.

3. freshcutgrass

^^

It's a good thing I can talk with my mouth wide open. All I can say is...I hope that entire post was just a goof.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

And why would that be?

5. freshcutgrass

Trust me on this....when you grow up, you won't give a shit about Batman..or Spiderman or Superman (at least we hope). BM will be remembered years from now not just for its acting (from all cast members), but also for its directing, writing, cinematography and score, and as one of the best tragic love stories. A gimmick????? Yea right...and Batman is what...critical film making? Don't make me laugh. Batman 6 was made for two reasons...merchandising....and so that there can be a Batman 7.
    If you couldn't get your head around the "gay" part, then I'm afraid you really didn't see the film. And BTW, Ledger's last role will be in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I thought the movie was fantastic. All the main characters did their role impeccably and brilliantly, IMO.

Ledger should get an Oscar for that, regardless of his death. I agree with Who that I didn't get the feeling it was Heath playing the Joker. My girlfriend and I were talking about this on the ride home. It was one of few performances where I felt what I was seeing was 100% character and 0% actor.

And Re: the Ledger Joker vs the Nicholson joker, I feel like I enjoyed Ledger's much more. Nicholson did a well enough job as the whole fuck-off joker, but I loved how deep and dark Ledger's joker was.

7. West24

West24 Senior member

i saw it on friday, and did like it. though i dont see how many people were saying that ledger played the best villain EVER. he did do great, but i also think like many his death has a lot to do with how much praise he is getting. not to say he didnt do an amazing job, he did, just not best ever IMO.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The great part about Ledger's Joker was that like The Comedian in Watchmen, he's almost sympathetic at times, until you realize how completely psychotic he is. I actually mentioned afterwards that I actually thought his little rant on things going "according to plan" made an incredible amount of sense to me, and I'd basically thought the same thing for a loong time. Of course, I've never been crazy enough, had any desire or.. i guess...had big enough balls to point out the hypocrisy on a citywide scale using billions of dollars in property damage and gripping, irrational fear as my lesson plan. After all, I'm not a complete psycho. [​IMG] Heath Ledger's Joker is NOT the best villain of all time. He is probably the best movie villain in the past decade or so though. He is miles better than the Joker who imitated Jack Nicholson. The movies the two were in are completely incomparible though, Nicholson's joker could never exist in the real world. He was the living embodiment of a cartoon (or comic book) Ledger's joker (and Nolan's Batman in general) start from the premise that this is more realistic than a comic book. I prefer the touch of realism. I really REALLY liked the fact that there isn't an "origin story" expose' of the Joker in this movie. Not knowing really what broke him is the scariest part. You don't know what he's capable of, if he's ever telling the truth, or anything. That makes him doubly terrifying to me.

9. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

He is miles better than the Joker who imitated Jack Nicholson. The movies the two were in are completely incomparible though, Nicholson's joker could never exist in the real world. He was the living embodiment of a cartoon (or comic book) Ledger's joker (and Nolan's Batman in general) start from the premise that this is more realistic than a comic book. I prefer the touch of realism.

I really REALLY liked the fact that there isn't an "origin story" expose' of the Joker in this movie. Not knowing really what broke him is the scariest part. You don't know what he's capable of, if he's ever telling the truth, or anything. That makes him doubly terrifying to me.

Well said.

10. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I saw Brokeback but didn't think his effort was nearly as substantial as in Batman. People won't remember Brokeback years from now for the acting since for the most part since it was a gimmick film. That isn't to say the acting wasn't good but at least to me there was nothing that really stood out about it other than the obvious. With Batman, Ledger will always been known for Joker and the fact that it's his final role will only serve as an exclamation point.

Heath's performance in BM WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. I'm kinda of homophobic, but even I was touched (No pun intended) by Ennis Del Mar. Heath was able to portray one of the saddest human beings ever in movie history.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Hmmmm....

12. the neon fruit supermaket

the neon fruit supermaket Active Member

Iron Man was better "Superhero Movie", DK is a better "Everything else" kinda movie. My only gripes with this film are that I'm still not sure what an underutilized/ unnecessary Morgan Freeman is doing there, Batman's gravelly voice is grating as all hell, and Nolan is a too heavy handed with his philosophic/ social commentary bs. Really, I get it, I don't need it forcefully spoon fed to me.

The acting was superb by all the characters involved (really impressed by Eckhart, awesomely impressed by Ledger). I did not want the scenes with the Joker to end, after his second or third scene I was just entrenched by it, I was rooting for him to win just to see how he would do it. His seemingly reckless abandonment coupled with a terroristic genius, it truly was the perfect embodiment of anarchy.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Oh my only gripe was the CGI on Two Face. It looked like it was from Pirates of the Carribean or The Mummy. I feel that some good makeup would have made it look good, it just stood out too much.

14. the neon fruit supermaket

the neon fruit supermaket Active Member

I wonder if Nolan has just done for Eric Roberts what Tarantino did for Travolta.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Oh my only gripe was the CGI on Two Face. It looked like it was from Pirates of the Carribean or The Mummy. I feel that some good makeup would have made it look good, it just stood out too much.

I agree.

Otherwise, good movie.

Maggie Gyllenhaal appeared to play her character than more depth than Katie Holmes played it.

Hopefully Eric Roberts will no longer need to appear in "Best of the Best" movies.