• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The dangers of wearing "wrinkle free" shirts

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. I've recently started wearing BB's non-iron shirts, but I wear a t-shirt under them, which I used to not do. I didn't like the feel of the shirts against my body sans t-shirt, the articles assertions may be an explanation for why I didn't.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amusing. I opened this thread actually thinking wrinkle free shirts were dangerous.

IBJanky

Reaction score
That's why I prefer to walk around sans clothing nowadays.

myke

pocketprotector

Reaction score
An alarmist article written by a female journalist for a liberal newspaper?? Say it isn't so!! I didn't read the whole thing, but let me guess: she quotes an "expert", then clamors for the government to do something about it. Our freedoms are only a little bit suppressed, but don't worry, the UN assures us it's really for everybody's benefit. Just be a good comrade and pull out that solar-powered iron. Better yet, go naked, as The Universe wills us to do.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This article really is garbage. A "small percentage" of people are allergic to these chemicals, but then it warns of impeding health effects for those of us who aren't allergic to them but never indicates how much is too much, or even if there has ever been an illness linked to the wearing of "wrinkle free" shirts in the non-allergic population.
“Given all of the things we buy new that can release formaldehyde in our house, all of those things contribute,” said Urvashi Rangan, director of technical policy at Consumers Union, who noted that the Environmental Protection Agency was currently developing formaldehyde emissions regulations for pressed-wood products. “Over all, minimizing your exposure is a good idea.”
Why? Tell me why it would be a good idea. You can't just say something stupid like that without something to back it up. Is Rangan even a doctor? A "director of technical policy" doesn't sound like a doctor, and if he (she?) were I'm sure he'd demand to be called one. And thanks for identifying those clothing manufacturers that had these chemicals present, so, you know, we could decide not to purchase them if we wanted to. Instead, the author broadly identifies an entire industry in order to scare us and doesn't give us any real information that could possibly be of use to the reader. Seriously, aside from scare value, that article is completely and utterly useless to anyone who reads it. This article was poorly written, poorly researched, and poorly presented. Everything about it is fail. This is why nobody takes journalism seriously anymore. EDIT - And to be clear, I never buy wrinkle free because they look and feel like ****.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
An alarmist article written by a female journalist for a liberal newspaper?? Say it isn't so!! I didn't read the whole thing, but let me guess: she quotes an "expert", then clamors for the government to do something about it. Our freedoms are only a little bit suppressed, but don't worry, the UN assures us it's really for everybody's benefit. Just be a good comrade and pull out that solar-powered iron. Better yet, go naked, as The Universe wills us to do.

I bet you love your wrinkle free clothing.
wrinkle free looks like crap and feels worse.
customers walk in my shop.
I can tell from 10feet away that they are wearing a wrinkle free shirt.
nasty stuff.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

EDIT - And to be clear, I never buy wrinkle free because they look and feel like ****.

This is because of the chemicals in them. I'm glad you are limiting your exposure.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Wrinkle-free isn't free."

Hackett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
"Wrinkle-free isn't free."

lol8[1].gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This article really is garbage. A "small percentage" of people are allergic to these chemicals, but then it warns of impeding health effects for those of us who aren't allergic to them but never indicates how much is too much, or even if there has ever been an illness linked to the wearing of "wrinkle free" shirts in the non-allergic population.

Small percentage have serious sides, sure... but tell that to my coworker who had a SIGNIFICANT reaction down to a blistering rash... he had no reason to think that a shirt would cause such trouble.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector

I read a similar article on Fox.com explaining that the chemicals were put there by Obama as part of a secret muslim plot to ensure the creation of a one world currency and take our guns. Go post your blather on some other message board.

Made in California

Reaction score
Thank goodness there's somebody out there that's not afraid to talk about this. A good friend in high school died from wearing "wrinkle-free" shirts, now he truly is free. Perhaps there is a cruel double entendre in all of this: if you wear wrinkle-free you'll never get old enough to get wrinkles thus these awful chemicals are keeping your shirts and your skin free from wrinkles. We must put a stop to this...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads