The Dance Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by indesertum, Dec 28, 2010.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

2. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

^get that shit out of here. you're 10 years too late. david elsewhere might look cool to the layperson, but that shit's not dancing much less popping. dancing = moving to the music. he's not moving to the music he's just moving in random waves. the first popper (mike song) at least understands this concept.

the movement is still cooler than anything else posted in this thread

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

whatever floats your boat dude

what you're saying is like somebody posting in sw&d that rock and republic are the best damn jeans period. or somebody posting in MC and saying jos a. banks is the coolest suit ever and much better than any of the suits mentioned. or somebody posting in the whiskey thread and saying johnny walker blue is a better whiskey than any of the ones mentioned.

i hope you get my point.

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

My favorite athletic dances.

Angel Corella as the Bronze Idol in La Bayadere

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Jose Carreno as the Slave in Le Corsaire. The good part starts at 3:06. The end is spectacular.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

Jose Carreno as the Slave in Le Corsaire. The good part starts at 3:06. The end is spectacular.
    He has the most beautiful pirouettes --- completely effortless and on balance. In other news, Wim Wenders is making a film for post-modernist dancemaker Pina Bausch in 3D: To be released at the 2011 Berlin International Film Festival. --Andre

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

wow looks very interesting. i dont like how they're jumping on the 3d bandwagon tho. i guess if they do it well, it'll still be done well

7. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Just wanted to say thanks to indesertum for posting the Kite videos, he is incredible. I think I've watched it everyday for a week now.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

Contemporary ballet crosses over? Thom Yorke of Radiohead choreographed by Royal Ballet choreographer-in-residence Wayne McGregor:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. It's fascinating to see how McGregor's movement vocabulary was adapted and translates to an untrained body. For comparison here is McGregor's own company performing his Entity (there's an example earlier in this thread of his choreography set on ballet dancers, too):

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. --Andre

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Thom Yorke often dances very much like that when Radiohead plays live, I didn't even think it was choreographed. Very interesting.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

One thing that many choreographers do is to adapt their vocab to the movement style of the dancer. It could be that McGregor, after seeing how Yorke normally moves, just tweaked a few things here and there. From what I've read, this video has received a bit of attention, both good and bad, for its dancing.

--Andre

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Dancing Thom is becoming a meme. Two collections of the King of Limbs video remixed with different music:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...-mash-ups.html
    http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/02/21/dancing-thom-yorke/

Someone's even rickrolled the video:

And of course, there's the Black Swan mashup:

--Andre

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

He has the most beautiful pirouettes --- completely effortless and on balance.

Carreno is fantastic but has been slowing down the past couple and is not in the form he once was. I got tickets to his retirement performance this year.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Just wanted to say thanks to indesertum for posting the Kite videos, he is incredible. I think I've watched it everyday for a week now.

lol. thanks. glad you enjoyed it.

posting in this thread to introduce

Les Twins

I don't particularly love hip hop dancing, but damn les twins. technically proficient and they have their own distinct style even in the ambiguous amoeba that is hip hop.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yo-Yo Ma and Lil Buck, doing hip-hop to Saint-Saens's Dying Swan: