• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The corporate state of Black Ties events

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Last night I attended the annual Ball for the Museum of Fine Arts, a black tie event. Most men wore a Tux, but many did not. Very few wore proper footwear, many wore huge and ugly (but I dare say very comfortable, I am sure
devil.gif
) rubber soled shoes a la Cole Haan. While observing all this, I could not help but think many of these events are now more "corporate than society" events with the bulk of the tickets being company bought. As such, I think that explains some of the decline in the attire, only compounded by the general decline in society. Have others noticed or felt that the larger scale of the "corporate buy" of event tickets has altered the shape of black tie events elsewhere? Some of my favorites on the evening:

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Most of these events look supremely tacky. Even the cars look tacky.

Montreal is not a rent a "limo to go to the ball" sort of town. On 880 guests, I only noticed two limos, one of which I know to be company owned car with a full time driver for the CEO and was not a stretch.

The Ball raised over 1 million dollars, money desperately need to renovate an old church the Musee has purchased for expansion. The Church is a beautiful building with some of the nicest stained glass windows in the city, the reno will be expensive.

Events like these are a necessity today, so much is raised for very good causes. But as all the best tickets in the lower sections of the hockey rink (Montreal canadiens) are now corporate seats, this ball had that feel as opposed to just people from general society supporting a cause or event and I wonder if it is the pattern in other cities too?

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stackey
my godness! the chick is so hot!
There may have one or two other cuties there As Vox recently noted, chicks are Montreal's forte!
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl

As Vox recently noted, chicks are Montreal's forte!
smile.gif

I confirm that I said and mean that.

Now that you mention it, I have been going to ever fewer black tie events over the last ten years. A lot of this is that the actual density of such events have been plummetting, but I think that you are right that there is an increasing detachment of attendees, maybe because organizational attendance is displacing personal interest. We don't try as hard to go to them anymore. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

- B

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just see this trend as another (inevitable) sign of cultural progression.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
I just see this trend as another (inevitable) sign of cultural progression.

True. In three hundred years, we will be all nude indoors within our environmental domes.

Ironically, in a bizarre twist of evolutionary fate, the animals outside will be fully clothed in three piece suits.

Radiation is so unpredictable sometimes.

- B

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
True. In three hundred years, we will be all nude indoors within our environmental domes.

Ironically, in a bizarre twist of evolutionary fate, the animals outside will be fully clothed in three piece suits.

Radiation is so unpredictable sometimes.

- B

Is Trrrrrrrrhhhmmmm FfffFFfffffDdddttT the best three piece to show off my mandibles?

People don't go to black tie events because they don't exist; what you get is a "luxury" 5-7 for corporate hacks.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

"Two legs good, four legs bad!"

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Is Trrrrrrrrhhhmmmm FfffFFfffffDdddttT the best three piece to show off my mandibles?

People don't go to black tie events because they don't exist; what you get is a "luxury" 5-7 for corporate hacks.

Do you own a DJ? A Tom Ford for YSL?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
"Two legs good, four legs bad!"

Do you own a DJ? A Tom Ford for YSL?

I own a couple DJ, including a Deauville and often wear them casually. I sometimes get invites to events requiring black tie through the grapevine and, when my hunger for free alcohol and food gets the better of me, make it a point not to wear any of my black tie stuff. I used to own a white tie getup...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have not been to a purely social black tie event (weddings don't count) since the late 90s. Maybe a New Year's eve party or two since, but I don't really remember.

You mean all your BT events are charity-related or would you count celebrations of sorts as non-purely social?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads