Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Controversy over Super Wools

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kronik, Sep 11, 2007.

1. kronik

kronik Senior member

2. dokelroth

dokelroth Senior member

Super wools are great if you like to look shiney and want your clothing to wear out in a couple of weeks.

I know there will be protests about Brioni 150s this and Kiton 180s that, but the bottom line is that they just aren't as good as good old fashioned wool. Cashmere suits are even worse. They are truly for the chumpy class.

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

There was a spirited debate about the piece when it was published four months ago. [​IMG]

4. kronik

kronik Senior member

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Rubbish. Today's mills make very nice Super 150s that hold up well over time in my experience.

6. dokelroth

dokelroth Senior member

Rubbish. Today's mills make very nice Super 150s that hold up well over time in my experience.
    Well, from that article and from my experience along with the experience of many people I know, I stand by my original statement.

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Not really.

8. Artisan Fan

I'm just going on personal experience. My Kiton suits in Super 150s have held up very well with regular use since the early 2000s.

Some 150s are not well made but there are some that are terrific. My 180s Kitons are also doing fine so far.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'm just going on personal experience. My Kiton suits in Super 150s have held up very well with regular use since the early 2000s.

Some 150s are not well made but there are some that are terrific. My 180s Kitons are also doing fine so far.

Yes, let's do this again.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Apples to apples, though, have you ever had a suit made from some of the really nice plain worsteds that are talked about on this board. I have been converted and am much happier for it.

11. Artisan Fan

I've tried a number of worsted fabrics...can you be more specific? Are you talking Lesser or H&S? (No on Lesser, Yes on H&S). I did not say these are not also nice fabrics, just that the durability issue with some Supers is way overblown by my experience.

12. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Apples to apples, though, have you ever had a suit made from some of the really nice plain worsteds that are talked about on this board.

I have been converted and am much happier for it.

I love the heavier 80's and 100's but I have never had nor run into anyone that has their Kiton/Brioni Supers suit wear out. I have some sportcoats and suits in cashmere and with proper care look fine. Invest in the Kent Cashmere brush and basic care and I don't see them wearing out any sooner than other fabrics.

I thought that in the book from the president of Zegna that Cashmere was originally worn by hunters and Scottish clansman in harsh weather.

13. Artisan Fan

I thought that in the book from the president of Zegna that Cashmere was originally worn by hunters and Scottish clansman in harsh weather.

Interesting...what book is this?

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I've tried a number of worsted fabrics...can you be more specific? Are you talking Lesser or H&S? (No on Lesser, Yes on H&S). I did not say these are not also nice fabrics, just that the durability issue with some Supers is way overblown by my experience.
    Nothing in particular. I have never had anything from Lesser either. I don't really love what I have seen there. Just more generally the difference between 100s and 150s is huge.

15. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those hunters had to make a long trip to China to get their cloth.