Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

You know I never thought to try this. I always wore burgundy shoes with gray, navy or olive tones. I can see it might be quite nice with black. I'll give it a shot.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

that's the other thing about this thread:

Whenever I travel I notice quite a bit that, being limited in what I can take, I often have to make certain combinations that I never would have thought of. Often these work, surpisingly.

I wear raw denim with either zip boots or CPs, but they'd probably also work with longwings, sleeker shoes etc etc.

gray pants are work with navy shoes, but could and should be worn with pretty much anything.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

You must be one of the select few with a calf bomber - I think the guy who makes the bombers got pissed off with how difficult calf is to work with compared to lamb and only makes bombers in lamb now.

That brown calfskin is the same as my moto. Such a great leather. The bomber is much more versatile in styling, I think. If I was to recommend a leather to a noob, it would have to be the bomber. Can be worn with anything.

4. fps

fps Well-Known Member

I have a NDG waxed 'short parka' that has been a 3 season jacket for me since 2008; hell, I wore it last week on a nasty, Irish June day. I also bought a lot of ts(s) in FW 10 and while I've gotten rid of a bunch of it, I still wear one blazer at least once a week. It's just on the right side of grungy steeze at this point. I find myself getting rid of more and more and buying less and less.

5. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i think this pic sums up what i wear the most sans shirt. i usually wear a ckc hidden placket shirt and im good to go.
    siki im silk/linen jacket from s/s 2011 is pretty versatile and i can mix it into different looks.
    silent polios pant. simple cotton poplin fabric with typical damir details like zipper pulls and asym cut at the back. love the high/long rise. its not so much of a drop crotch.
    ann d boots from fw12. at first i thought about returning them because they were a bit plain for my tastes but as i wore them more and more they developed some character and mesh well into my wardrobe. i realized not every piece needed to be a statement piece lol. the boots are a perfect height for me to boot-tuck (a little shorter than last iteration of the vitellos with wedge sole)
    i wear all these pieces throughout the year. well, siki im gets 3 seasons while the rest get 4
    [​IMG]

as for sneakers, first iteration of the mmm paints are my go to. coined OG painted gats by a few on SF :D

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Some interesting thoughts from Recent Purcases.

I don't want to say "We should aim for satisfaction" because that ignores the fact that it's nice to buy new things. But is it nice to own and wear new things, too?

Or is satisfaction more to do with the "completeness" of the wardrobe? This itself is an endless goal, IME.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that we shouldn't buy new things, just that we can source happiness from what we already have.

Agree? Disagree? Comments?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

8. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

If money doesn't make you happy, then you probably aren't spending it right (Google QuickView online)
    http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/DUNN GILBERT & WILSON (2011).pdf
    Elizabeth W. Dunn a,⁎, Daniel T. Gilbert b,1, Timothy D. Wilson

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

9. superego

superego Senior member

Gonna get a little zen for a minute, but because I think it fits here...I'd argue that contentedness comes from the seeking more than the getting. I've been thoroughly satisfied with my Somet 003s, and sit here enjoying them as we speak, even six months after buying them, but I think the real contentment came from learning about what made the 003s great and in connecting with people to find that out, etc.

10. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

[​IMG]

visvim kiefer nez perce nome

say what you will about visvim, these are probably my most worn pair of shoes. subtle enough for the average person to not think twice about them, but goes beyond"another chuck-alike" status for me with some extra details and comfort to push them. kinda sad that they're starting to fall apart - although i was lucky enough to pick them up for a relative penance off B&S - but i definitely see myself wearing these to the ground.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

11. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think contentedness has little to do with clothing. Rather, feeling a need to continually purchase clothing (or whatever else) reflects discontent in some other aspect of one's life. I made many more clothing purchases when I was very unhappy with certain situations in my life. Now that I've resolved those problems, my desire to purchase has waned. I think I've bought maybe five articles of clothing this year? Although, I don't feel like I am in a state of flux as far as my taste is concerned, so that probably helps as well. And, well, maybe also the fact that I can no longer fit all of my clothes in my closet :embar:

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

that's another good thing to know.

I think it probably does reflect a state of discontent, but good to also temper that with the last couple of sentences. Many of us would hope that the copping is not in vain!

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

This article from a very readable MC blog articulates the main reason I started this thread.
    IMO you can't truly like a recently bought item until you've worn it in.

Beyond the fact that clothes need to be worn in, is the fact that a wardrobe full of new items just looks bad.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

When not to buy

i'll start with the obvious:

1. When you can't afford the item.

2. When you just want to buy something.

3. When you are substituting it for something you like better.

4. When you are following other people's opinions and haven't really thought about how it fits your own personal style.

5. When you have to justify buying it because of a sale.

6. When you have to justify buying it because of its "quality"

7. When you have to justify buying it because it may sell out.

8. When you just read a feature or article on the item or brand. This will blind you. selectism etc.

9. When you want to post about it on the internet.

10. When you are buying it because it's a "staple in the man's wardrobe". Seriously, I have no need for a "classic blue blazer, charcoal suit, 10 white shirts, Mac coat" etc etc. Figure out what your own staples are.

please add to this list.

15. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

great list hendrix, although i'm not as convinced about this one. are you saying it's not good to "upgrade"? i for one think that, at least for those who don't have their style quite dialed in, they should dabble using less expensive varieties as "gateway items" than starting out with the good stuff.