1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

@KingJulien that's incredible. I feel your post needs a bit more backstory, it's way too interesting to leave it at that!

3 people like this.
  2. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

I, too, would like to know more

2 people like this.
  3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

B&S keys, not jawnz.

1 person likes this.
  4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I've been to México, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, a few days in Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia so far. I've been staying in cheap hostels, using cheap transport (hitchhiked in Mexico, took tons of chicken buses in central), and eating at pretty cheap places, so overall it isn't costing very much. I've posted a few pics in the photography thread if anyone is interested. Definitely been one of the best decisions I've ever made!

2 people like this.
  5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

What are you doing for work?

6. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Great post, KOY

7. delayed brain

delayed brain Member

[​IMG]
    (from nearest to farthest)
    F/W'15 Ankle Shoes, S/S'14 + F/W'15 Suede-Top Creepers, S/S'14 + F/W'15 Ankle Side-Zip Heel Boots.

a long while ago i wanted to post a contentedness "general lad musician collection" post, but here's a portion of it.
    i just received the side-zip heels boots, and the creepers only shortly before.
    never before did i think i would own as much as i do now; but without a doubt i don't regret it one bit.

these 3 pairs of shoes are made with various thicknesses of cow-leather, the ankle-high shoes being the lightest weight.
    the comfort in the raised soles, and the fit (44jp sizing, US9) is so near-perfect and matches with my entire wardrobe that i couldn't be happier.

4 people like this.
  8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I haven't needed to work. Actually stayed well under budget so far. $1000 can easily get you a month, or two if you stretch it, so if you consider the price of clothing on this forum it's not so crazy.

1 person likes this.
  9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I had the thought that you moved for work or something but it seems you are just traveling using money saved up. That's cool.

I can only imagine how free it feels. Maybe one day..

1 person likes this.
  10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I haven't bought any exciting piece of clothing in like a year. Now I mostly wear basic t-shirts, uniqlo OCBDs, some half-decent pants with a nicer jacket, shoes and bag. Pretty boring and a lot cheaper fits. The change came when I was fed up with buying and reselling clothing that didn't work out and decided to put the money in other hobbies that makes me more happy. Initially I thought I would miss the high-end clothing more, but I really don't. Like you write, I've noticed that my interest in clothing is decently satisfied by just looking and reading about it. In retrospect I think I identified myself with the clothing I wore to a large extent, and in my experience its been quite liberating to be able to distance myself from it all.

I have definitely not "quit" and I will for sure go back to buying nicer clothes again when my budget allows for it, but that time around I will be more hesitant to pull the trigger on random pieces on the Internet that look good at the moment or that I happen to stumble upon.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

What jackets are you wearing nowadays?

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Right now a RL bomber my dad didnt want anymore

13. APK

APK Senior member

I feel like my tastes have almost come full circle in the seven years since I joined the forum. When I registered, I was fully immersed in the Hypebeast culture; lots of Nikes, graphic tees, hoodies. I'm not back there yet, but let's just say that I've bought more Nike shoes in 2015 than I had in the previous six.

I've never had the disposable income to pick up numerous mid-tier and high-end clothes, yet I definitely did all I could to go against financial flexibility for several years in the name of the fashunz. I've owned some cool stuff, but when I go back and look at my Styleforum years under the What Are You Really Wearing lens, I realize that many of these purchases got limited exposure in my rotation. I think that was a mix of often lacking complementary pieces to these purchases and sometimes just not really feeling all that comfortable wearing some of them. It's as though because money was always a huge factor for me, I would feel a little uneasy wearing something that cost several car payments, and end up wearing some of my cheaper clothes instead. I guess at some point, it just seemed foolish to have thousands of dollars worth of clothes and shoes in my closet going relatively unused when that money could've gone to more important things, and I felt just as comfortable, if not more so, in cheaper items.

One of the intriguing aspects of this forum is how those who stick around will usually go through several phases as they attempt to find their aesthetic. I think that's one of the reasons I continue to frequent the forum, even though my personal interest in both fashion and buying have waned in the last two years; watching a newbie fumble around with crappy fits and go through those growing pains until they finally have their ah-ha moment and it all comes together is sort of like watching a small-scale underdog story. And when it comes to personal aesthetic, I think I finally realized that mine is fairly basic: button-downs, basic tees, cool but not outlandish outerwear, and boots or sneakers. I still like looking at the avant-garde stuff; the sharply-tailored stuff; all of that. But it's not really me.

I put on a lot of undesirable weight in 2014, which really limited what I could wear. I basically spent the wear in big Old Navy tees and a tattered pair of Levi's. I've cut the weight off since mid-March, but my wardrobe has remained modest. I find that I feel as content wearing cheap tees and button-downs with a pair of Levi's and some sneakers or boots as I did when I was draining my bank account to buy really cool SF-approved shit that I was going to wear maybe a handful of times. And not to get all Rick Owens on everyone, but I definitely feel better wearing a cheap t-shirt and having a semi-decent physique than when I was wearing a $500 knit over an increasingly pudgy torso. It also seems like it's becoming less necessary to shell out hundreds and thousands of bucks to not look bland. Mall-level brands seem to be snapping out of the mindset that the only BD-shirts they can offer are plain or plaid, so the selection for interesting fabrics and prints is a lot broader than it was a few years ago, and at a much more affordable price range.

I dunno. I guess the TL;DR version of this is that I still enjoy checking out the forum, lookbooks, shop sites, and all that. But I'm a lot more content with my clothes now that I'm not putting myself in financial despair to assemble my wardrobe.

10 people like this.
  14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Your error lies in not realizing that all true pleasure comes from despair.

13 people like this.
  15. APK

APK Senior member

There's always my love life to pick up the slack for that.

11 people like this.
  16. Bam!ChairDance

Every time I read stories like this, I'm a little torn, because while I respect stylefarmers' decisions to distance themselves from teh fashunz in the name of mental and financial wellbeing, there's certainly a middle ground between unrestrained cop sprees and total asceticism, no? Between Yoox and sales and Yoox and reasonably priced designers and Yoox, I have lots of options for keeping my closet stocked with interesting cluths without addling my mind and my wallet. You can have just one drink.

7 people like this.
  17. APK

APK Senior member

I think for me it was just the realization that more times than not, it was hard to justifying in retrospect splurging on a non-mall-brand item relative to the contentedness it brought me. I wouldn't say that I was looking for material goods to bring me happiness, but there came a point where I had to look back with honest eyes on the purchases I'd made over the years.

How frequently you wear something isn't the best indicator of whether the purchase was worth it, yet that has to be a consideration when funds aren't unlimited. Example: A few years ago, I bought a couple of Razele's MMM blazers. I find myself in very few situations where a blazer wouldn't be a little out of place, but these were so unique in my eyes that I HAD to have them. One ended up being too small, and I eventually sold it to KingJulien. I still have the other, but I've worn it maybe three or four times in three years. It's really nice, but honestly, I forget I even have it sometimes. Just seems like a bit of a waste, I guess.

Other side of the coin: I have a few knits that I picked up either via Yoox or the B&S here. I would guess that the total is easily into the four figures. Again, I've probably worn them a total of maybe four or five times. I doubt I'll ever sell them, because they're all gorgeous and have details and qualities that I find enticing. So in that sense, yeah it was probably a bit of a waste under the Actual Usage criterion, but I still think it was worth it for the aforementioned details.

I guess my mentality is that between mall brands branching out aesthetically nowadays coupled with browsing the forums here, I feel satiated when it comes to the many facets of clothes. I'm not done with the brands favored around here; I'll still pick up the odd piece here in there if it really catches my attention. But I think I'm done trying to assemble a wardrobe void of any cheap brand items strictly because "they aren't worthy."

18. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yoox and the whole sale culture in general is actually a major reason why I've spent more than I should in past on clothing I don't need. I've severely limited my purchases lately, keeping a very short list of things I really want and being OK with not getting them any time soon. Part of that involves almost never checking my Dreambox.

A while ago I interviewed this woman who got so tired of being trapped in online shopping addiction that she stopped buying things for a year and instead drew pictures of the items she coveted (she eventually wrote turned it into a book, http://torontopubliclibrary.typepad.com/teens/2015/08/top-ten-summer-author-sarah-lazarovic.html). A little extreme maybe, but I admire the approach and the dedication.

2 people like this.
  19. Bam!ChairDance

@APK Ahhh it's a bummer you couldn't fit the MMM stuff or the knits into your daily life. But yeah, I have noticed that mall brands have pressed their ears a little closer to menswear trends. Gap, for example, has an entire section for joggers now. And COS is about to drop one of the coolest collections I've ever seen from a non-designer brand.

@DeadBoy I do wish we could reverse whatever chain of events led us to the whole "inflated retail / wait for sales" system we have today. But I dunno, I can't say I'm on board with the idea that discount sites are inherently at odds with responsible shopping. All the planning and introspection that keeps the impulse purchases at bay can apply just as much to discount sites as it can to full-retail items, no?

20. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

I come from a similar sneaker head background, and I think its really easy to view your old gear as inadequate or unworthy when you move from sneaker streetwear to fashion streetwear, when in reality there may be many pieces worth keeping that will mix in well with your new "elevated"(such bullshit) or matured aesthetic. Most of the best posters in WAYWT have some of those items, some junky cargos from a mall brand or a thrifted shirt, blended into their fits in a very unnoticeable way because it goes well with the initial inspiration for the style, regardless of its worthiness based on price, branding, production location, or even intended design.

@DeadBoy really cool interview and I am madddd jealous if your day job is somehow interviewing authors. What she says, and your questions, speak really well to what APK is talking about. I do kinda cringe at her for being mostly over fashion due to children, poor woman, but hey I don't have kids so what do I even really know about true despair!