1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Those are great! I would have totally bought a pair in black!

Thanks for the awesome post. This is definitely the best thread on SF.

2 people like this.
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

What a great post! And I'm flattered, honored, and ecstatic that some random pictures I took of myself got you started (seriously). May your sneakers live a long and happy life.

1 person likes this.
  3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

A president who actually earned his bomber jacket.

He was a dive bomber in WWII. Oh yeah, he (and Reagan) also ended the cold war without exploding the world. But let's give the Nobel Peace Prize to Carter, Gore, and Obama instead!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Living up to the username

21 people like this.
  5. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

lol

1 person likes this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Haters gonna hate.

7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Hah, I was just thinking about that post.

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

This is such a necroquote, but I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I tend to buy multiples of the same item, over and over, which is really pointless. White sneakers, maybe. Or shearling ajackets. Or, more recently, vintage shop coats. Now I have three, all different (although two are blue), and it seems a little silly. Then again, I love them all. I browse ebay and etsy, and I want more of them. I don't even know if they count as clothes. I'm drawn to the individual fading and staining and wearing, to how subtly different they are. I'm not sure if I want to wear them or just own them, but I think there's a horrible @Fuuma -esque commentary here about how I imagine that my ownership of said items will somehow cause their loveliness to be absorbed into my being. Which is stupid. Maybe I just love to look at the clothes, and that's it? Maybe I don't need to own them (of course I don't). Or maybe there really is something special (of course there is) about feeling these garments, about admiring the wears and repairs and imagining what went into it all.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    11 people like this.
  9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yeah exactly.

Actually your whole post equals the right side of my closet.

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

Same. I keep buying slightly different versions of the same thing, for example I just bought a 3rd Geller zip blazer and 2nd Richard blazer (though all are different colors and from different seasons).

1 person likes this.
  11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Pretty much when I find something I really like, I buy the same thing in a different color/fabric etc. For some reason, having 2 or multiple of the same item makes me wear it a lot more. If I really like it and I have 1...it just kind of sits there. Get another one and I'm wearing one until it disintegrates. [​IMG]

2 geller zip blazers
    3 geller tencel bombers
    8 uniqlo skinny fit tapered denim
    2 visvim brigadiers
    2 W+H tiger fleece hoodies from 2011
    12+ nonnative pocket tees
    15+ uniqlo oxfords
    75% of my closet.

1 visvim virgil (but trying to get another)
    1 EG moleskin bedford (but trying to get another)

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

@Synthese, you pretty much summed up my sentiments. I find myself buying multiples of the same thing, often just because I like them. Do I really need four Cabourn linen jackets? What about 10 Gustin Japanese selvage shirts? Or, 6 RRL rigid selvage chinos?

Moving in to my new house with a smaller walk in closet has inspired me to get rid of everything that was second tier, for wearing when I didn't care. Now, I'll always care. On a related note, I've resigned to having only my SS or AW wardrobe in my closet at one time. They don't both fit :( And, I have no idea where all of my knits are going to go!

2 people like this.
  13. 1969

1969 Senior member

I don't see any reason clothing can't be for collecting although I'd imagine it's not really an investment the way most traditional collectables are unless there is a serious focus. I had an a pretty out of control obsession with collecting outsider art (raw vision etc) during my twenties and the idea that a given object of my affection might exist outside of my collection was intolerable. By comparison the cost of clothing seems pretty reasonable even if it just sits in your closet.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that collecting is fun. I don't buy clothes just because I need them. I buy clothes because I enjoy them as objects. That I can wear them is a necessary thing, for me, but at one point, I would buy cool things that would not fit me, either physically or stylistically, because they are just so cool, and I know a lot of collectors who buy for personal enjoyment that is not associated with actuiially wearing the garment.

1 person likes this.
  15. zissou

zissou Senior member

Buying for collecting is fine, as long as you have a place to put everything. I'm nearly done unpacking in my new house, and have no place to put my Inverallan and Scott & Charters knits, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sell them. Seems a shame to keep them in a box in the basement.

16. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

You can always let them roam free in the yard. Every morning before I get dressed, I stand on the porch and let out a whistle and all my knits come running up to me.

26 people like this.
  17. eazye

eazye Senior member

You've posted a ton of funny shit in the past, but I think this is my favorite.

18. zissou

zissou Senior member

This was suitable knit husbandry back when I had six acres of pasture. Now that I've moved to a new house in town, my quarter acre of dirt just won't do. My knits will be covered in dirt, and I'll wind up looking like some kind of Scottish hobo.

1 person likes this.
  19. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I realize these posts are almost five months old, but anyway: six months ago I sold most of my clothing that I didn't love, stuck the rest in two tupperwares in my mom's attic, tossed my furniture on the street and flew one-way to Mexico. I'm currently in Bogotá, Colombia. I have with me a pair of uniqlo jeans and a pair of raw denim, four or five cheap t-shirts, two pairs of shorts, a pair of Nike frees and a few thrifted shirts which I found down here, as well as a camera + accessories and the random essentials like toothpaste and soap.

There have probably been a few million anti-consumerism articles written in the last century, so I'll skip it, but it has definitely been really liberating owning nothing that wouldn't fit in a large suitcase. The stuff that I truly miss, i still own and could have someone mail to me, and everything else was just taking up more mental and physical space than it was worth anyway.

Anyway, long story short, I'm more content with this than I think I've ever been. Although I'm definitely looking forward to finally cracking open that box in the attic.

30 people like this.
  20. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Hmmm, not feeling the fit. Maybe, gats?

3 people like this.