1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Of course it's possible! This has been my method for awhile and my wardrobe has a common thread (no pun intended) which is my DNA. You can think of it in a romanticized way, but it's a very real thing. The characteristics of clothing blend with our own to create an appearance. Once you recognize the traits that bring out the best in you (the ones that reflect your DNA, so to speak) you can build a wardrobe full of those items. Then putting an outfit together is no longer a logic puzzle but a matter of deciding which pieces are speaking to you at the moment.

The great thing is that you don't even have to think about what those characteristics are when you're buying clothes because you just look for pieces that "feel right". You don't have to ask "will this piece go with my other stuff?" because it will always fit in with your "just feels right" collection, and in ways you never could have thought of.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I have been mulling this over for a few days now, especially when I think about making sales threads. I don't really know how it all fits together, though.

1) I have a lot of "fun" stuff, but I usually reach for the same few pieces of clothing. Is it worth it to have the fun stuff? I often think about getting rid of all of it.
    2) As I have acquired things, in this case clothing, I've realized that it's really stressful to own stuff. Not even cars or things that require maintenance, but just...bulk. Hello, Fight Club.
    3) If my house were burning down, what would I put in a bag? Like, the first five things? Not necessarily and item from each "category," just, what would come with me?
    4) How many things do I really wear into oblivion? A handful, really.

I don't want to start a discussion about "The Minimal Wardobe," or "Essentials," or that sort of thing, but those are my thoughts.

13 people like this.
  3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Honestly, the way I see it, if you're thinking of selling something...do it. I always ask myself, if someone were to just hand me right now market value of this item in cold hard cash, would I accept? If it's yes...do it.

The problem is that it's an incredible PITA to sell something. You got to take pictures, measure it, sit in front of a computer and make a sales thread, etc, but it's all worth it in the end, because it means you can buy new stuff.

2 people like this.
  4. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

When I went home for summer after my freshman year in college, I packed up my dorm room and managed to fit everything I owned into my 1988 BMW 528e, and that was including a circa-2001 19" CRT monitor that probably accounted for 20% of the space and 80% of the weight. I think I also still had some KLH speakers that dated back to my dad's college years, and beyond that, mostly just clothes. I must have had some other miscellaneous stuff too, because the car was pretty packed full including the front passenger seat. And then, since I didn't return to the dorms, the next year I had to buy a bed and my ability to fit my life in a car has been ruined ever since.

And once you're past being able to fit all your belongings in a car, it's pretty easy to expand, "because fuck it, if I have to move, I'm going to need a U-Haul for this damn bed anyway," but I have to admit I still romanticize the idea of being able to fit my life in a car. And the stuff that doesn't fit really is just bulk, ultimately. But it seems like the older one gets the harder it is to avoid it.

4 people like this.
  5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I think closets are kind of a bad thing. It becomes really easy to hide stuff away, out of sight and mind. Diggin through the closet sounds, and becomes, a little bit daunting. If it were all just on racks in front of you, I wonder if we'd want as much.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    5 people like this.
  6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Open closets are great.

3 people like this.
  7. Louys

Louys Senior member

My closet is a single black metal rack. It works.

8. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

I was doing some closet cleaning and suddenly realized that one of my most worn pieces of clothing in recent memory is also one of my oldest, least cared for, and cheapest possessions: my Shades of Greige polyester vest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I recall correctly, I got it for something like $35 off of Gilt way back in my freshman year of college, which dates this jacket at roughly six years now. I'm not going to lie, it's NOT an attractive jacket. The sleeves didn't fit particularly well, the collar looked odd, and there were these superfluous epaulets. I actually ended up cutting off the epaulets and discarding the detachable sleeves and collar.

I've come incredibly close to throwing this thing out so many times over the years, but despite often being a functional or aesthetic afterthought for me, a non-garment almost, I just couldn't ever bring myself to let it go. There's just so much to love: it's apparent invincibility, despite being quite obviously cheaply constructed: it's none the worse for wear even after being thrashed in many drunken college misadventures. The color -- dark brown with a subtle plum tint -- clicks really well with the most common hues in my closet, which at this point is almost exclusively composed of various shades of whites, blues, browns, and blacks. The gold zips. The way the collar pops out from under my jackets. The nylon pull tabs -- EZ Lang on a budget!

And possibly the most miraculous thing of all is that while I've felt that this vest never quite meshed perfectly with my wardrobe in the past, it suddenly seems perfectly in its niche after six years of stylistic evolution. It's been a rare constant in the sea of change that is my closet.

I've been gunning for a new, "cooler," "more fashionable" vest for a while. The vest I have is a no-name piece of garbage, I'd think to myself, I can do way better. But maybe I should hold that thought until this thing dies a natural death... though that might take another decade or so. We'll see.

(edit: I changed computers around 2013 so I don't have pictures from before then, but if memory serves the vest makes cameo appearances from time to time.)

edit 2: A thought just popped into my head. You can get all sorts of high-end cuisine in New York City, but stop by 14th street at night and you'll see all kinds of people, old and young, rich and poor, classy and trashy, lining up for some halal guys. No matter how you look at it, Halal Guys is pretty much the epitome of cheap, awesome shit. This vest is my Halal Guys :slayer:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    35 people like this.
  9. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

"Dress for the job you want." Well then, I want to be a waffle maker.

The Dana Lee Leisure Jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought this jacket 2 or 3 years ago when Maas & Stacks had a restock. I've only purchased 2 or 3 big items at retail, this jacket being one of them, and it was worth every penny. I've been in the clothing game for about 5 years now, and I obsessed over the "perfect" fit. I donated everything and bought some jeans and t-shirts, and even nit picked about how a t-shirt should fit.

In the last couple of years, perhaps starting with the waffle jacket, I started wearing clothing that fit imperfectly. Sweaters that were too big in the shoulder, t-shirts one size too large, jackets and shirts without waist suppression. And damn did I feel comfortable. And as a result, more confident in my stylistic choices. Every once in a while, I'll want to look sharp. The ToJ, Viridi-Anne Coat, and hidden placket shirts all fill that urge. But on a day to day basis, I'll grab the waffle jacket without a second thought. Walking to class? Waffles. Flying for a week? Waffles. Going to a bar? Waffles.

And I haven't even started about the versatility of this jacket. It buttons to the top! It's loose enough to layer under. It's thin enough to wear comfortably on a summer night.

But really, I just love that it's helped me worry less about the perfect fit and helped me be more comfortable in my clothing, and as a result, more comfortable in my own skin.

26 people like this.
  10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I'm wearing mine today. :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

I have been seriously thinking of paring down my closet to ~20 pieces total. The other day I literally took an hour to get dressed then in the end I left the house in the same shirt I've worn for like, the last 2 years straight. Having a closet is overrated, changing your clothes is overrated, variety is overrated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Buy less, buy only your grails. If you haven't worn it in a year, sell it or donate it.

Don't buy during sales season. If you didn't want it at retail, don't get it on sale.

8 people like this.
  13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I've been thinking about this while deciding to sell stuff, so thanks for saying it.

I had a thought this morning: I was thinking about this pair of socks that's wearing out, and how I'll need to replace them soon, and then I remembered that when that day like that has come in the past, I've found that I can just do without that item, that I can just live with one less thing instead. I figured that thought belonged here.

3 people like this.
  14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Yes! I went through this thing where I started to track all my clothes spending on a spreadsheet. Everything. I was shocked at how quickly small things added up. A few things here. A few things there. Something on sale (omg 50% off!!). Damn, if you add it all together it's a lot a lot. Then I asked myself, would I trade all these small miscellaneous items and stuff I got on sale for that really expensive item that I thought was way too much? The answer was a resounding "YES".

The result is that the closet is pared down. A lot. Everything gets worn. Worn and washed and worn and washed. Lived in. Everything gets used and if it's not..it's out. If it's out, why did I buy it? Learn from it. I like it better than a huge closet that I'm constantly adding to feel that need to feed.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    4 people like this.
  15. 1969

1969 Senior member

I just edited my whole closet down to 30 things. For summer I've knocked it down to 14 shirts, 4 jeans/pants, 4 shorts, 6 pairs of shoes and 2 t-shirts. I'm not counting suits, belts, swimwear, workout clothes etc and honestly not sure I can stick to this number come winter (Closets are packed away seasonably so it's not really like I only own 30 things). I have way too many shirts and not enough good footwear. Other than shoes, when I see something I really want now it comes down to "why am I buying this ?" :embar:

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I have 3 button up shirts at the moment and I don't feel like I need more.

2 people like this.
  17. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Only buy grails and keep the basics to Uniqlo, find a good tailor to get shit to fit well.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I don't really know what basics are anymore apart from tshirts.

3 people like this.
  19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Always disagree with the "buy grails + Uniqlo basics" advice, particularly if you're wearing basics as anything other than an underlayer. A nice t-shirt/cut-sew is always going to elevate a look over something cheap.

10 people like this.
  20. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I prefer to buy grails, and wear grails over and over again. Only downside is grails require handwashing/drycleaning and this just leads to wearing 'dirty' clothes.

1 person likes this.