The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

True, and yet holidays are consumed as much as material objects for the most part, and the contemporary capitalist economy depends to a great extent on the generation and exploitation of 'experiences'. Yet we don't need to pay anything to feel things like love, awe, the overcoming of challenges etc. etc. We might get those by paying to go somewhere else, but we might get them as a result of paying more attention to what's around us every day, or by traveling in a different way.

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

3. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

agree and good point, but I think there are different ways to 'travel'.

4. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

This is a wonderful simple yet eloquent argument for paying attention to what's around you and being thankful for it. Not to get all sentimental on it, but I've found this to be a huge part of my recent (last 2.5 years) entry into being a parent. Constantly being asked about everything, and having an experience sponge attached to me has forced/given me the opportunity to (re) discover aspects of my city, region, and self that I *know* I would not or could not have done without my son. In short, amongst all the challenges and frustrations, the biggest gift my son has given me is a new found sense of contentment, and the ability and desire to refresh it.

I still like clothes a lot though.

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I agree totally. Unsurprisingly, I am also a relatively new dad (my little boy is two and a half now)...

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

Very true, Otis! Kids do help one remember to appreciate the simpler things in life. My daughter and I love just walking around town on Sundays, when it is quiet. Or, we often walk down to the local bakery for a quiet Saturday morning breakfast. Simple rituals like that are much appreciated by kids.

Heck, we even had a water fight in the backyard this weekend, and she said it was the most fun we've ever had.

7. Louys

Louys Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone who lives in southern California will recognize a pair of rainbows when they see them. I know flops are absolutely SF unapproved but this isn't about style, it's about functionality, so Style Forum has no say. I've owned two pairs of these things, exactly the same, and had to retire the first pair after four years of wear. The leather was literally so cracked and smooth that I could slip in them while they were perfectly dry walking on a flat surface. This pair here is more or less a reincarnation of the old and in less then six months they've traveled from Honolulu to Vienna. It is physically impossible to wear them anywhere shorts is inappropriate, but luckily a large portion of my life is lived where shorts are so it's all good. As long as I'm alive I will probably own a pair of 9.5 brown rainbows even if I just wear them around the house.

8. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

This thread is the testament that if one is to splurge, do it on jackets or footwear

9. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Jeans, jeans as well. Though my favourite pair are from APC, I got from SF for 50 dollars 2-3 years ago. If the crotch wasn't completely busted, I'd still wear them most days. As it is, I'm trying to find a way to repair them.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

yes! growing up in a socal beach town, I've had Rainbows since I was a kid, long before they were coopted by coeds and frat boys. they are the best chilling at home, surf trip, walking to the beach footwear. I know flip flops aren't really "high" style, but they have a certain look that are just right with a particular lifestyle. I've had me current pair for about 5 years. :)

11. Louys

Louys Senior member

There really is something to be said for local style.

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I wanted to post this story here that I read about on MC. I think it's in the spirit of the thread. fritzl, as you may know, is a member of the MC community who has particularly strong knowledge and opinions on shoemaking. For 2 decades he has been enjoying bespoke handmade shoes made in the tradition of the Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking. Here is a pair of his well-worn, well-loved shoes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] There are many more in the Austro-hungarian thread linked above. In 1994 he was introduced to Mr Gyula Kiss, and so began an enduring client-craftsman relationship. My understanding is that a few years ago Mr Kiss was forced to come out of retirement to support his wheelchair-bound wife and intellectually disabled son. To help him out in this crisis, fritzl purchased his collection of un-collected bespoke shoes, which he continues to sell to SF members (his thread Operation Paprika has many wonderful examples). E.G. member F. Corbera's pair.
    Recently, Mr Kiss passed away, and the world lost a great craftsman. However, fritzl continues to enjoy his collection of beautifully crafted, near-indestructible shoes.
    fritzl, let me know if you don't want this posted here.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

13. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

I just got back from donating a large portion of my wardrobe to a local long-term shelter for families in transition. Lots of suits, jackets, winter jackets that no longer fit as I've slimmed down quite a bit and/or no longer fit my style.

Everything that remains are pieces that I love. I decided to lay out what I do have: outerwear (7), shoes (8), suit (1), jackets (4), 3 pair of really nice pants and a single pair of Japanese denim.

I fill in with decent-enough quality basics and have a diverse wardrobe that blends in at work, in town, but still have unique details that elicit compliments.

I feel like I've finally struck a good balance. I tried the full-on Pitti thing and came off pretty douchey. My wife hated it. I didn't fit in with my surroundings. I learned a lot from the SW&D crew and took my time in purchasing. Now, my wife, kids and their friends think I look pretty cool. Unfortunately I really am a douche.

Buying well means I buy less often. Laying out and photographing the clothing groups really helps eliminate unneeded purchases. Sure, I could still use a few things, but the impulse has gone way down.

Conclusion: MC has taught me a great deal about fit. It is amazing how little details matter. SW&D have taught me a great deal about designers, outerwear and some of the keys to the elusive 'cool' vibe. Of course, getting fit helps a lot, and the Random Heath guys give excellent advice, reducing the hype and clutter of the internet to dispense real-world advice. Thanks guys, I lost 40 pounds from weightlifting and diet alone.

There are so many good threads on this board, so many great vendors, too. A good haircut, some nice eyewear (mine are Warby Parker), quality denim and a great pair of shoes are all I need to look and feel great.

I am content. Thank you, StyleForum.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

indeed