The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. London

London Senior member

I was in Nepenthes today and fall is in. Start saving your pennies.

2. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I'm still in the experimenting process. I want to eventually find 5 perfect outfits than I'm content to wear for a really long time.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

No outfit is perfect.

that's part of what this thread is about.

4. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

Designer drive; das bling; creation ex (n)nihilo; anaMMMorphosis; jouissense...

The point isn't to "redeem" yourself by acquiring some totalized—and totalizing—identity through your clothes. Instead of identifying with some symptom—our inability to attain sartorial perfection—we should instead identify with our sinThomBrowne.

I'm done stretching Lacanian psychoanalysis to clothing; fuck this. G'night.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Cool, could you forget about the ones you don't have and take a few minutes to tell us about what you love about the one you have? Pictures would be a bonus!

6. CoMj

CoMj Member

quite often i buy 2 of the same thing even if the same color. it is sometimes smart and sometimes stupid

7. cupper

cupper Senior member

"Women Shop, Men Stockpile":

For Guys, a Great Find Is Often Multiplied by The New York Times.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

I do the same thing sometimes. I think it's partly related to the fact that I've gotten tired of ordering things that wind up not fitting. If I find something that fits great and that I like, why not buy 2 or 3 of them?

9. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Anyone else genuinely surprised to see Steve Jobs' turtlenecks were made by Issey Miyake?

12. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

That reminds me, I'm pretty content with all my apple products. I used to be a pretty big computer nerd but then I bought a MacBook and an iPhone and they jus work and there's no need to waste time thinking about the computer itself, it becomes about what you do with it, which is how it should be.

13. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Same here.

14. ctbomber

ctbomber Well-Known Member

This thread came at a good time as I'm finally coming into that contentedness point with my wardrobe. There are maybe 2-3 things I'd like such as a nice knit and one more pair of boots once it gets cold again but that's now what this thread is about... What it is about is finally being really fucking happy when I look in the mirror two years later after finding this place and not having a clue as to what clarks desert boots even were.

I think I went the usual SF route in thinking I was the man for taking some e-advice about wearing clarks with raw denim to start and some plaid button down out to bars on the weekends. A slight upgrade over the usual "bro" attire, or was it? But now as I'm finally becoming content I start to see clothing differently. I look back at the process and really see how my clothing changed as I did through my early 20's. Even in the past 8 months really. For example, I bought my first ToJ about 9 months ago and when I ordered it I was too intimidated by the 2010DR in black so I went with the MDR in grey. Well now I'm on the verge of wanting to sell my MDR in grey as I own a red 2010 DR and a black 2010 DR. Both being tied for my favorite leather jacket and I don't think I'll buy another leather unless it's a brown bomber some time down the road.

As far as jeans go... well I wear my APC rescues a whole bunch as I have big legs but frankly I've never been happier with a jeans purchase until recently when I picked up a chalk wash pair from RRL. Holy shit. They are glorious in person. Pictures online don't do them justice.

However, only one thing has remained constant over the 2 years I've been reading these forums: I've always wanted a pair of F+B Elf boots as soon as I saw a poster throw up a fit pic with them. They just called my name. For about a year I put it on the backburner up until a couple of weekends ago. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of gray suede and, yes, maybe they are slightly overpriced for the mid tier range but I love them.

I also have a pair of Samurai 710 black shadows that are terrific for the colder months. I wear them all the time and they fit my body better than almost any other jeans I own.

I'm waiting on a tan bball from ToJ in the mail that, judging from the pictures and reviews, I'll add the this list when it arrives.

I'm also happy to say for the first time in a long time there is nothing on my immediate radar to add. I just want to enjoy what I have for the upcoming months.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

15. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

I purchased my Quoddy bluchers brand new for only $45 back in November or December of last year. I didn't really know what I was getting when I bought them, but they've turned out to be my most frequently worn item in my closet. I've worn them more days than I've not and will continue to do so until they've completely fallen apart. Then, I suppose I'll start over with a new pair.

[​IMG]