• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Constructive Criticism Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Curiosity question: how do you feel about donegal tweed in general? 

I got no beef that I can think of. But the truth is, aside from shiny fabrics, there are not many fabrics I can think of that I dislike out of hand. Really depends more on how the finished item looks on the whole.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been quiet for a few days, so here's some chum for the sharks. Things that are just bad fit:

--Shirt sleeves need to be shortened and cuffs reduced. Can cuffs actually be reduced or should I ditch the shirt?
--Shoes would be better if dark brown. Two different remedies are in boxes on their way to me.

Things that are, to my mind, taste questions:
--Mid-grey flannels are almost objectively better. I like green and know that I'm in the wrong here, but cannot help it. How bad is the combo, assuming that it's something I'd break out maybe 5-10% of the time I wore this SC?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tie is totally bad there, not meant for that kind of SC at all, cant tell much on PS, you can have a seamstress take off some fabric above the cuff effectively shortening the arm length, easy fix, pants dont fit well and are way too dark for the combo, color of shoes I think would be fine had you opted for lighter gray trousers.

Jacket looks to fit well and is nice, so is smile.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
This is a thread for (good natured) criticism. I realize we could do this in WAYWRN, but there is a lot more noise there, as well as a lot less willingness to do anything to dampen the warm fuzzy feel good nature of it. So I, and anyone else who feels they're worth listening to, should feel free to post fits, of themselves and of others, and point out any issues that could have been improved upon for the edification of all.

So I'm going to start with my two most recent fits.

I'm wearing this today and it feels great. The one thing that bothers me is the tie. It's wool, so it works texturally with the corduroy. And the wool keeps it in line with the casualness of corduroy (and the wool pants upping the formality of the look a bit, though that is at least cancelled by the frayed edges of the square). But from even a medium distance, as in the picture, the tie looks like any other neat. And that seems like a problem to me.

I generally don't hold my briefcase in pictures. I made an exception as this is a fit which really needs shoes in order to balance the warmth of the tie. In the end though, I felt that they--the square, the shoes, and the bag--weren't enough to warmth to keep the tie from looking out of place. They last time I wore this tie with that jacket, I wore the matching pants and a brown striped shirt with an even warmer square). If I had to do it over again, I would choose a different tie. If I had to wear that tie, I'd either switch to cream trousers or to that brown striped shirt. In the end, the fit is just too cool for that tie.

Bonus explanation of the bandaged finger:

Like the first pic. Not my choice but it goes together well. The second pic. I'd go with a navy blazer or brown cord jacket.

Nasty cut on that finger @Claghorn , stitches required?
mwink[1].gif

In terms of your self critique how would it be if you switched ties in these two posts?

For me these two fits are problematic. I had the DB shortened by an inch +. I feel both that and the other are not right. Different aesthetics for DB/SB? Buttoning point?

I think you'll need a fedora and a violin case. Just kidding.

Here is an old one of mine that I hate with a fiery passion.

Pants fit horribly, shirt is the wrong blue for the jacket, tie is much more of a suit tie, and the pointy suede chukkas were also a poor choice, rounder longwing calf bluchers would have been much better.

Also should have cleared the AmVets bag from the porch.

Feel free to pile on any more issues you may see here.

9e495407_be79eef7-5ca1-48e7-a073-c791737db082_zps9d31357d.jpeg

Looks good, but if it was me I'd go with a 3 button jacket (not a fan of 2 buttons) although it does look well, and probably go with a gold and navy paisley pocket square

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Be
en quiet for a few days, so here's some chum for the sharks. Things that are just bad fit:

--Shirt sleeves need to be shortened and cuffs reduced. Can cuffs actually be reduced or should I ditch the shirt?
--Shoes would be better if dark brown. Two different remedies are in boxes on their way to me.

--Mid-grey flannels are almost objectively better. I like green and know that I'm in the wrong here, but cannot help it. How bad is the combo, assuming that it's something I'd break out maybe 5-10% of the time I wore this SC?

I'd say it's a combo you should put on the backburner for a long time. Dark pants/lighter top isn't necessarily a bad look. It's just, in my mind, a very difficult look. And there may be people who will come in and say "no, no, it's easy." But look around for examples, and you're not going to be able to find any neophytes, or even somewhat accomplished dressers, pull it off consistently. Advanced dressers? Yes, probably.

So lay it aside until you are very sure you know the basics and the intermediates and can pull those off on a very consistent basis.

Other stuff:
I dislike french cuffs with casual jackets, but that might just be me.

That tie, as Stitchy pointed out, isn't good for the look. I can't tell much, but it looks to be a fairly smooth light purple tie. Very much a tie for a suit. Solid ties in a more casual context work best if they have a bit of texture.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been quiet for a few days, so here's some chum for the sharks. Things that are just bad fit: --Shirt sleeves need to be shortened and cuffs reduced. Can cuffs actually be reduced or should I ditch the shirt? --Shoes would be better if dark brown. Two different remedies are in boxes on their way to me. Things that are, to my mind, taste questions: --Mid-grey flannels are almost objectively better. I like green and know that I'm in the wrong here, but cannot help it. How bad is the combo, assuming that it's something I'd break out maybe 5-10% of the time I wore this SC?
HDT, I like the jacket. Tie is not for me, here or otherwise. I agree with El S and Clags re the pants and the Northern Lights. The jacket is screaming for mid grey or a wee bit darker (my preference), a grenadine or cashmere tie and is also screaming no more F Cuffs please. You wear stuff well with a consummate ease, keep on!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchy, Cleav, Clags, thanks very much. Grey flannels with this for the forseeable future. I know there's probably a better place to ask this, but if I were to get one pair of Rotas, which is best, mid-grey or fawn? Mid-grey is the obvious staple and is an upgrade over all of my grey trousers, but it's also in a very similar shade to my current best-fitting pair of pants. Fawn would be a completely new addition. How versatile is it? Doesn't seem like it would work with today's jacket, but greens, browns, navy, blue guncheck?

Tie is a lesson learned. So it's grenadines, knits, certain madders with "country" SCs and neats in smooth silk or wool challis with suits and more city SCs?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mid gray is your best bet. I also think the herringbone pair I posted in today are super versatile. You are better of with the super awesome super optimal pair even if you have something similar, imo.

Sam1193

Reaction score
Been quiet for a few days, so here's some chum for the sharks. Things that are just bad fit:

Heldentenor, you mentioned that your problem area is 3-4 inches below the knee, but in this and a few other photos in this thread, I think the problem is 3-4 inches above your knee. I also struggle with thighs that are too baggy, as though all trousers are designed with retired linebackers in mind. You have the sort of frame that successfully execute trimmer trousers, so you should go for it!

This is a great thread. So great, in fact, that I finally took the trouble to register with the site after reading it for years and not posting. Thanks Claghorn!!
smile.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tie is a lesson learned.  So it's grenadines, knits, certain madders with "country" SCs and neats in smooth silk or wool challis with suits and more city SCs?

Not a bad place to start, but I prefer not to keep things so narrowly defined. To me its more like you know it when you see it.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But knowing it when you see it involves implicitly learned knowledge and that takes time and practice. Though agreed, it's something you can know when you see, but until a person develops an eye for such things, guidelines are super useful.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But knowing it when you see it involves implicitly learned knowledge and that takes time and practice. Though agreed, it's something you can know when you see, but until a person develops an eye for such things, guidelines are super useful.

Indeed that is what I meant when I said it a good place to start. But I am lazy and also a douche, so I was not more explicit.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Rota fawn flannel are extremely versatile. There isn't much you couldn't wear with them. That said, med grey is way to go if you don't have a good pair.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Sam1193.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@heldentenor, I am a huge advocate of mid grey flannel trousers and am one of the people who will tell someone that they can be well dressed outside of summer (maybe a bit into fall and spring for places warmer than Chicago) wearing nothing but mid grey flannel trousers. Having said that, the fawn flannel Rota trousers are more unique (not to mention awesome) and it is a lot harder to find a decent flannel in that sort of shade, so I would consider getting a pair of them first. They won't get as much wear as the mid grey flannels, but finding an alternative for them will be more difficult.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justonemore78