• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Consolidated Exotic Leather Care And Maintenance Thread

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this has been done already, my apologies and please post the link(s)
We've seen many thoughts on other threads about the ethical issues of purchasing or wearing exotic leathers.
This thread is specifically about the proper care and maintenance of such leathers and it would be greatly appreciated if this stay the focus. Please share any methods, tips and tricks that you use to maintain your exotic leathers; those being anything other than calf or cow.
Whatever the article, be it shoes, boots, bags, belts wallets, billfolds, etc. All information would be a great contribution.

I'll begin (and will add photos later)..

Camel Skin Shoes
I have recently acquired a nice pair of shortwings in camel. I am only learning about this wonderful leather and so far my observance is that, at least in the case of my shoes, the leather is quite thick yet suprisingly pliable. It has a wonderful grain to it and so far, I have treated it only with leather conditioner (lotion), working the lotion into the leather with my bare hands. It darkens very little when wet and dries back to its original camel colour. Personally I have no intention of using any polish at this point as I love the natural lustre over a high shine.

Alligator Shoes
My pair of captoe bals in black receives leather lotion once per 2 months. I work the lotion into the leather by hand, paying attention to lotioning between the plates as I feel these areas would be more prone to cracking than the plates themselves. Once dry, I brush, then buff. If I want additional shine I will very sparingly apply with a finger, some wax polish, let dry, brush, then buff. Typically I will only apply polish before wearing and only when they really need it.

Stingray Shoes
In my case, a pair of black penny loafers in stingray. This is by far the most unique leather in my arsenal at this time. The leather is very pliable and comfortable to wear. I leather lotion these from the inside, applying the lotion by hand. For the outer uppers I apply dabs of leather conditioner and wirk in between the bead stones with a toothbrush. I want the lotion to pentrate between the beads and the toothbrush seems to do the trick. It takes more lotion than calf because there will be excess. Once I have toothbrushed the lotion onto the entire upper surface, I leave the shoes sit for an hour, then wipe off any excess. I then brush and buff. It is to my understanding that stingray pelts start off as almost colourless when produced and that colours are added during the manufacturing specific to the product being made. In my case, the stingray pelts, once made into shoes, then had black dye applied. Therefore, it is possible hat over time and with wear, the black finish will get scuffed off. So far I am not to this point and the shoes continue to look as new.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. No one else cares for their exotic leathers? Where is everyone?

coffeecupman

Reaction score
We're all on the sidelines waiting to be shown the way.

I have bought Saphir Reptan for my lizard and gator things.

But I've been traveling for work since I've bought it, so I don't have much to offer yet.

Your comment about the application of wax once in a while after conditioning was interesting. What wax are you using? Medaille D'Or clear coat?

I actually have a pair of lizard boots that I really love, but are missing a small scale. I have been wondering what I should/can do about it, if anything.

I'm sure this thread will pick up steam soon.

ccm

EDIT: I have also wondered what the right cremes and polishes would be appropriate for shark and sea bass. I don't have any of these boots, but have seen them for sale and often wondered about how they are cared for.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use waxes on reptile exotics at your own risk. The skin between the "tiles" is VERY fragile and easy to dry out. Wax can cover it & not allow it to continue to "drink" the oils that are necessary to avoid drying out.

ALSO, there is no reason to ever apply polish to reptile skin... ESPECIALLY colored polish. Over time, hte polish will build up, and again, preventy the leather from "breathing". Result... dry skins.

MOL, good advice about using your fingers to apply conditioners. It's best to work it in.

Camel is very tough & will last virtually forever. Good not to use polishes because they tend to collect in the many crevasses of camel.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EDIT:  I have also wondered what the right cremes and polishes would be appropriate for shark and sea bass.  I don't have any of these boots, but have seen them for sale and often wondered about how they are cared for.

Shark needs no special care. Consider it a much tougher grained calf & treat as such.

Nell

Reaction score
Is it fair to assume that teju lizard requires the same treatment as croc (leather lotion every few months)? If so, can anyone recommend an adequate conditioner?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it fair to assume that teju lizard requires the same treatment as croc (leather lotion every few months)? If so, can anyone recommend an adequate conditioner?

listen to mr monty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads