1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by L.R., Jan 22, 2011.

1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Has anybody read Tomb of Dracula or Walt Simonson's Thor? I've heard great things about both but I'm not sure which to invest in first. Also, anyone who likes comics should read this: [​IMG]

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I haven't read it since the release, but basically I found that we were lead on this somewhat epic of a journey, and it just petered out..... I was led to believe that the main guy was somehow special, but in the epilogue he was put on something of a back-burner in the grand scheme of things. Plus the monkey.....
    I see. I understand how the ending seemed to divide a lot of readers but personally, I thought it was superb. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't flawless. I always enjoyed the dialogue and character interactions as opposed to the big-picture storytelling though. That might play a part on why I liked it. And I enjoyed the monkey. I never understood the hate. [​IMG]

3. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I see. I understand how the ending seemed to divide a lot of readers but personally, I thought it was superb. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't flawless. I always enjoyed the dialogue and character interactions as opposed to the big-picture storytelling though. That might play a part on why I liked it.

And I enjoyed the monkey. I never understood the hate. [​IMG]

I can see where you're coming from, and the interactions were quite well done, I just wanted a more meaningful ending I suppose. (For him, at least)

The monkey, I did enjoy. What I meant was I didn't like the ending of the monkey haha.

4. Neo_Version 7

Lol. Poor Ampersand. If they ever do the movie, I'm pretty sure he'll be the hardest thing to adapt onto the big screen.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Has anybody read Tomb of Dracula or Walt Simonson's Thor? I've heard great things about both but I'm not sure which to invest in first.

Also, anyone who likes comics should read this:
    [​IMG]

I used to love Tomb of Dracula as well as Werewolf by Night. I probably have 75% of the total run of both series.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I figured this place is as good as any for a news as such.

7. Neo_Version 7

Back when I followed FF, this stuff used to happen almost annually. I remember when The Thing died and they retrieved his soul from Heaven. And though not technically a death, there was also that storyline where Black Panther and Storm took over Richard and Sue's positions on the team.

Still, I can't say I'm not a little intrigued..

8. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Is Robin still dead?

I stopped reading comics right around then.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Is Robin still dead? I stopped reading comics right around then.
    There are/were like 5 Robins. Not to mention the other alternate universe/different earth versions.

10. Neo_Version 7

He's probably talking about Jason Todd.

The only character that hasn't been resurrected (so far as I know) is Uncle Ben..

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The only character that hasn't been resurrected (so far as I know) is Uncle Ben..

I remember him coming back to life at some point so I looke di tup and ...

12. Neo_Version 7

13. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

As a birthday present? Shit... wouldn't you feel bad if you got Parker a gift card or something?

14. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

I figured this place is as good as any for a news as such.

I had a feeling about this. Oh well.

15. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

HT's death was somewhat underwhelming. The FF are always traveling,seeing alternate verisons of the themselves, so the death of a main character doesn't strike me as particularly epic. I mean, it wasn't that far back that Richards saw a dozen versions of himself killed. So it kind of cheapens the importance of anyone guy. That's why I prefer street level guys....

16. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

anyone read Garth Ennis run on Punisher? I ordered the first 6 GNs - yet to arive

i loved Preacher so i hope Marvel gave him some leeway with Punisher

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Has Ennis put out anything new recently?

Those of you who like the alt comics should check out The Unwritten by Mike Carey and Locke & Key by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son). I'm reading them both now and they're pretty damn good.

18. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

anyone read Garth Ennis run on Punisher? I ordered the first 6 GNs - yet to arive

i loved Preacher so i hope Marvel gave him some leeway with Punisher

That sounds awesome. Will have to take a look.

19. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I really like Bone, one of the most consistently great comic series ever. 100 Bullets was a great ride, but had a disappointing ending. It felt like Azzarello underestimated how long it would take to wrap up all the stories and everything felt rushed in the last 10 issues.

Agree on the Bone call. I was just getting my fix with the Tall Tales collection. Another trilogy is coming out soon, called, I believe, The Spark.

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

anyone read Garth Ennis run on Punisher? I ordered the first 6 GNs - yet to arive i loved Preacher so i hope Marvel gave him some leeway with Punisher
    Ennis was doing The Boys for a while, which people said was pretty good...