1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Cologne Reccomendation Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by tallguy1337, Jan 15, 2007.

1. thenewguy

thenewguy Well-Known Member

My wife just bought Vera Wang for Men for me. Man, I smell good!

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Don't wear cologne that often now but most often using:
    Amen from Thierry Mugler
    Envy from Gucci

Previous favourites:
    L'eau d'Issey
    Eau Sauvage by CD
    Gaultier

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

right now my daily go-to is the new Paul Smith "story", probably my fave fragrance ever. Last weekend I checkout out the new Dior Homme cologne and that will definitely be my next one. Surprisingly nice scent.

4. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

I like the new prada,hanae mori, emporio armani black, armani mania, and aquad'gio. My favorite (and if I had to pick 1 to reccomend) is the Creed Green Irish Tweed

5. fg0d

fg0d Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a very light vanilla scent, something noticeable, but is very easy on the nose. Like a cabiny vanilla smell... I know it's very vague, but any suggestions will do. Thanks.

6. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a very light vanilla scent, something noticeable, but is very easy on the nose. Like a cabiny vanilla smell... I know it's very vague, but any suggestions will do. Thanks.
    For those who like vanilla, I always recommend Bvlgari Black. It has all the best parts about vanilla (the deliciousness, the familiar warmth) and none of the bad parts, meaning the reasons why "vanilla" is synonymous with "boring'. It starts out with one of the most unique notes in designer frags: a powdery rubber note. very industrial, smells like Tim Burton's Batman at first. But once the topnotes disappear, you have a really well done dry vanilla smell. Truly intoxicating. It keeps close to the body, so it has your requisiste "lightness", and it manages to avoid getting too syrupy heavy (as many vanilla scents do, see Le Male) because the vanilla note is actually chemically derived from black tea, rather than vanilla extract itself. Its not a sugary vanilla, its a smokey vanilla. It can be had for $20 at scentiments.com

7. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Is it even appropriate to wear cologne anymore? Aren't most places fragrance free environments?

8. fg0d

fg0d Well-Known Member

For those who like vanilla, I always recommend Bvlgari Black. It has all the best parts about vanilla (the deliciousness, the familiar warmth) and none of the bad parts, meaning the reasons why "vanilla" is synonymous with "boring'. It starts out with one of the most unique notes in designer frags: a powdery rubber note. very industrial, smells like Tim Burton's Batman at first. But once the topnotes disappear, you have a really well done dry vanilla smell. Truly intoxicating. It keeps close to the body, so it has your requisiste "lightness", and it manages to avoid getting too syrupy heavy (as many vanilla scents do, see Le Male) because the vanilla note is actually chemically derived from black tea, rather than vanilla extract itself. Its not a sugary vanilla, its a smokey vanilla.

It can be had for $20 at scentiments.com

Yeah, I really like the warmth of a vanilla scent, but without being strong on the nose. It's kind of mysterious [​IMG] Anyway, I'll check the scent out. Thanks.

9. Joel_Cairo

Is it even appropriate to wear cologne anymore? Aren't most places fragrance free environments?

Thankfully, we defeated the Taliban, so that particularly dystopian vision has not come to pass. I wear something everyday, one maybe two sprays under my shirt after the shower. Id be surprised if anybody knew but me and my GF. It's my litle secret, like Ed Wood's undies during the war.

1 person likes this.
  10. fg0d

fg0d Well-Known Member

I took a sample of Bvlgari Black today, and I don't think it was what I was going for. My girlfriend wears a scent, I beleive it might be Ruehl, I'll have to ask her, but it's a warm vanilla scent, I thought the Bvlgari wasn't vanilla-y enough. Any other suggestions? How does men's Ruehl smell, I know it's a lame question because it's a bad mall brand, but just a question, if anyone knows.

11. Joel_Cairo

I took a sample of Bvlgari Black today, and I don't think it was what I was going for. My girlfriend wears a scent, I beleive it might be Ruehl, I'll have to ask her, but it's a warm vanilla scent, I thought the Bvlgari wasn't vanilla-y enough. Any other suggestions? How does men's Ruehl smell, I know it's a lame question because it's a bad mall brand, but just a question, if anyone knows.
    I don't know anything about Ruehl, but I can tell you that the daddy of all vanilla scents is Givenchy PI. It is weapons-grade. There may be other notes in it, but I swear I've never noticed them. Also, Jean Paul Gaultier's scents seem to have a fondness for vanilla, so look into Gaultier2 and the recently discontinued Le Male. You could also look into this thread over at Basenotes for more pointers. I still recommend that once you've tested and decided on a frag, buy it from scentiments.com. You'll save half of what you'd spend at the mall. Scentiments.com is seriously the Yoox/STP of the frag world.

12. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Well-Known Member

Ok, I've posted that we sell this obscure Cologne from a company called Acca Kappa(made in Italy since 1869 by the same family using all organic ingredients). We carry the Cedar(Cedro) fragrance which has been recieved widely by both men and women. Yes, I'm biased with this being our represented fragrance and having the exclusive in the Northeast but I truely suggest that you try it. I have not seen anyone post that they have used it in all the cologne threads so try to locate it near you and give it try. I'm sure you will be happy with the suggestion.

Best Regards,

Gary

13. horton

horton Well-Known Member

I use Garys Acca Kappa and recommend it highly.

I also use/have used Cartier and Polo Black.

Acca Kappa is my current favorite

14. Joel_Cairo

Ok, I've posted that we sell this obscure Cologne from a company called Acca Kappa(made in Italy since 1869 by the same family using all organic ingredients). We carry the Cedar(Cedro) fragrance which has been recieved widely by both men and women.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122471.html

15. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Well-Known Member

16. louieann34

louieann34 New Member

I like cologne that has an Essential Content on it...Because it doesn't cause my skin to itch,and most especially doesn't cause Sinusitis.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Conscientia

Conscientia Member

It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine states... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good...They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. [​IMG] --------------------- But in all seriousness. I currently have: Calvin Klein "Crave" Dior "Farenheit" Sean John "Unforgivable" Davidoff "Cool Water" Joop Farenheit is my favourite. Cool Water is my girlfriends favourite. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

18. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

I have recently ordered and tried, Dunhill Edition. Energetic spring / summer, all occasion scent. [​IMG] I love Dior Eau Fraiche, as well. It's marketed as a women's fragrance, but smells unisex and bracing. A masterpiece, from Edmond Roudnitska. Ricci Club is another fragrance that I enjoy, during spring and summer.

19. bichimpaid

bichimpaid Member

where can i get this bavx deodorant stick?

20. Newsman

Newsman Active Member

Floris of London makes great, classic colognes.

I love the JF.

James Bond (the character, not Daniel Craig) wears No 89.

Their customer service rocks!