• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the college student nutrition thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys that are on IF, WD, or what have you

what do you guys eat? how much do you spend? what do you make on a daily basis?

I think I tend to eat dirty if I don't eat enough for a few days (not purposefully)

I went out and bought 6, 7 lbs of chicken breast, 3, 4 pounds of 95% ground beef, roma tomatoes, spring mix, cucumbers, broccoli, garlic, romaine lettuce, carrots, onion, celery, eggs, a loaf of whole grain baguette (sooo good),

and this http://www.dartagnan.com/51177/56582...-Herbette.html

as a splurge

total came to maybe $60.

diet will probably

12 to 1 pm light meat salad with a little egg and bacon
4 to 5 pm workout
5 to 6 pm heavy meal including bread and a little terrine
7 to 8 light salad

BCAAs and caseine shakes throughout the day. 2, 3 grams O3s

any ideas to switch things up but keep protein intake > 1 g/lb bodyweight

i generally eat chicken breast, butterflied, pounded, and either with a shallot, garlic, balsamic vinegar sauce, a dry curry rub and salad, or a soy based stir fry

i'm getting tired of this. also, it's hard to cook every day when I have school work and procrastination to do. i was thinking of either cutting everything up today so I just have to toss it in the pan and add sauce to make dinner or cooking the meat today and just reheat things that day.

what should i do with the ground beef? i was thinking hamburger patties, but any other easier cheaper recipes?

also, any ideas on how to reduce food costs?

Phil.H

Reaction score
Paleo college student here.

My meals tend to be uniform in size and I do 3 meals a day. Pretty much always a meat + 1-2 veggies. Supplement with omega 3 and vitamin d (it was on sale and winter is pretty much here).

Too poor and lazy to eat grassfed most of the time (the nearest butcher that carries grassfed is inconvenient for me to get to) so I always go for lean cuts of farmed meat instead. Tend to eat more beef than any other protein. Occasionally I'll open up a can of tuna or salmon for a meal.

Switch it up with some pork? Different cuts of meat? It's more cost effective to roast a whole chicken but more fussier and won't save you any time I suppose. You could always do soup/stews (I tend to save up leftover bones and make a big batch at once that lasts me like 6 meals). Curries?

Yeah, I tend to cook at least 2-3 meals every time I cook. Just always make more than you would normally eat and leave it in a container for easy eating.

My lazyday ground beef recipe is a bunch of ground beef + a jar of pasta sauce. Put them together, cook 'em, yeah it's as lazy as it sounds.

I tend to spend $50 a week on groceries so no help from me for really reducing food costs. If you want to eat well, you have to pay for it. That being said, if there's an asian supermarket you have access to, meat and veggies tend to be a lot less pricier there as opposed to western ones. The same logic applies to farmer's markets near the end of the day I suppose.

intensanity

Reaction score
Milk
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Sardines
Whole Wheat Bread
Chicken
Pork
Sweet Potatoes
Various Fruits
Salads

combinations of the above are what I have everyday + multivitamin + fish oil

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any curry recipes? arent they generally pretty *****?

also which cuts of pork to use?

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The only things I eat daily are (sans supps):
- chicken breast
- sweet potatoes
- broccoli
- cauliflower
- almonds
- olive oil

On occasion (couple times a week):
- eggs
- brown rice
- kidney beans
- canned tomatoes

Cheat day:
- whatever the hell I want

I cooked chicken breast and sweet potatoes in bulk (usually 3 days worth). broccoli, cauliflower, eggs, rice, and beans - I cook when I eat them.

intensanity

Reaction score
Are kidney beans and canned tomatoes healthy? What do you cook them with? We eat pretty much the exact same stuff

xemps

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intensanity
Are kidney beans and canned tomatoes healthy? What do you cook them with? We eat pretty much the exact same stuff

I don't think so. Usually canned food have a lot of sodium.

breakfast - Usually All-Bran, skimmed milk and oatz.
Snack - whey protein bar
Lunch - Chicken Breast/Lean Meat, salad, broccoli, tomatoes, white/brown rice, beans. Depends on the day of the week.
Snack 2 (Pre workout) - Whey protein and some whole bread
Post Workout - Whey Protein and Maltodextrin
Dinner - Chicken Breast, salad, broccoli, tomatoes

I know my diet not very good, but I am all my day away from home, so most of my meals are made when I have a break.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I find them fine since I'm not eating them everyday and I thoroughly rinse the beans before I used them. I cook the tomatoes, beans, and rice together with some spices. pretty good with some hot sauce thrown on top.

Hoodyy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown
I find them fine since I'm not eating them everyday and I thoroughly rinse the beans before I used them.

I cook the tomatoes, beans, and rice together with some spices. pretty good with some hot sauce thrown on top.

Whack some minced beef in that and it sounds like you're cooking a chilli.

I'm also a college student and my main concerns with eating healthily are definitely the money and the time it takes to cook certain meals. Dinner is usually fine, but I keep missing breakfast when i've been out the night before and don't wake up until 1pm on a Saturday.. so I can't keep to any routines.

Do you think this disrupts it too much?

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
The cheapest and fastest way to eat is to make too much food and save the leftovers for when you don't want to cook. Soups, stews, and casseroles keep well and soups and stews can be made with pretty much anything.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same as the above, basically. These are the staples of my diet (IF)

Chicken
Ground beef - sometimes I'll get around to making myself some good steaks w/ quality beef, but usually just ground
Shitload of veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce etc.
Quark cheese - makes a mean dessert when mixed with the local koolaid mix (or similar)
Cottage cheese
Tuna, salmon, cod - fish is always good
Eggs

I don't usually prepare my meals beforehand, but if I have a busy wk coming up I'll just bake a ton of chicken breasts, steam some veggies and pack them to go. Works for me.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get fresh tomatoes. Canned fruits are not particularly healthy and have a shitload of sodium in them.

Kidney beans are awesome. They have some of the highest protein per cooled volume among all the dry beans/lentils. Buy them dry, not canned and soak them in water overnight to soften them up before cooking them.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i disagree. canned tomatoes are fine. most good stuff (san marzano dop) don't add sodium and even the ones with sodium added still have little sodium in it.

i honestly feel that if you're a college student and you're reasonably healthy you don't really have to worry about sodium levels. only if you're arteries are older and less plastic should you be worrying at all.

also i dont see what's wrong with canned beans. most people dont have time to soak them overnight and whatnot.

i have a few cans of tomatoes and some garbanzo beans. prolly will try what charly mentioned with the ground beef and make a chili

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
Canned and frozen fruits and veggies are cheaper and last longer and if you're going to cook them the difference is negligible. Save the fresh stuff for salads.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xemps
I don't think so. Usually canned food have a lot of sodium.

Even the "sodium free" canned foods are a problem. Take a look at the ingredient list and you'll often see HFCS as a substitute preservative. That **** is effing everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads