1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Cognac / Armagnac / Calvados / Brandy Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Clear Creek pear brandy is wonderful, if very expensive. I use it with lavender honey syrup to make a great Sidecar.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Picked up a bottle of Domaine Dupont Fine Reserve last night. Tastes pretty much like grape-based brandy to me, but the yellowish colour was surprising.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

me too

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

that sounds great

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Quote:
    Cool. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I would suggest having the Armagnac first.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Brandies seem to be poorly represented at most liquor stores. I have to deal with crappy county runs stores here and they have horrible selection, basically rotgut and anything prominently featured in a hiphop video. Anybody know a good place in the DC area that has a good selection?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Schneider's of Capitol Hill (near Union Station) has a great selection and great prices. Paul's (Friendship Heights) is pretty good too. 1 West Dupont Circle has a huge selection but is very pricey.

8. username79

username79 Senior member

Thanks. The 1970 Gaube is really exceptional. It is known as one of the "true expressions of armagnac." It's quite powerful. Think the artisanal brandy version of a 25 yr. old cask strength single malt scotch. You'll enjoy it. Trying to close a deal on four more bottles of Darroze I found recently (including a Gaube 1959). The oldest bottle I had was a 1893 Domaine de Cavaillon that I bought at auction and subsequently traded. Didn't get to taste it! :embar:

The Tesseron is pretty good. I primarily bought it because it's consistently good (not great), the magnum bottle looks great on the counter and because I got a great deal on it (less than a 76.) A lot of people prefer the 76 and people rave about the 29. I actually think the best deal in Cognac is the 90 (you can get it for ~$50) which I use for sauces and then drink. I agree with you that the Tesseron does not stand up to age as well as others -- I was completely underwhelmed by the 29. In any case, the Germain-Robin XO is better than all of them. I sip a little pretty much every night and don't feel guilty about it. Go to CaddellWilliams.com and request their catalog, they have lots of neat stuff.

Thinking about taking a trip to visit the Armagnac region. Supposedly the Armagnac families are appreciative and quite hospitable if you're really into what they make. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Marc Darroze is a very nice guy. Quite hospitable. No problem finding Gaube in his cellar, either. I don't remember whether the '71 or '72 was the best, but it was clearly the winner in the entire cellar, in his eyes and ours.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I stumbled upon a store downtown around 18th and I. It's a pretty unassuming place, so I was surprised to see that it had a decent selection of stuff. If I'm remembering correctly, the store had both the '70 and '79 Darroze. The guy running the place was knowledgeable and eager to help. He was raving about the '79.

11. username79

username79 Senior member

S&R Liquors. They have two bottles of Darroze right now, a '70 and '79 Cheateau de Gaube. Nice people and a nice selection of less expensive armagnacs including a few nice Casteredes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  12. Amanda Garnham

Amanda Garnham New Member

If you do come to the Armagnac region, I would be more than happy to help with suggestions of visits to different producers. As you say they are extremely warm and welcoming and so passionate about their eaux-de-vie.
    Every one is different with such diversity that you will go home with bags bulging and for not very much money!

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Do you have the map in a higher resolution, Amanda? Il est difficile de voir les détails. Merci.

14. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

I was looking for some cognac or armagnac today and I found this on clearance. I'm not a brandy expert, but it's quite nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I picked up a 1/2 bottle of Germaine robin XO, it's pretty good!

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I've been wanting to try their XO.

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My local place shocks me every now and again. Are you ever in jersey?

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thoughts on Lafontan? I can get the 1973 Veuve Lafontan Chateau Pouthet for 50 €. I tend towards not buying it unless someone here has had some of their Armagnacs before though. Information about the product is scarce.
    [​IMG]
    Also, bump!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

50 euros for a 40 year old liquor is ridiculous

20. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Wasn't there another cognac thread somewhere?