The Cognac / Armagnac / Calvados / Brandy Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Roikins introduced me to Jacopo Poli grappa when I was in California. It was pure fire water to me. Then again, at the time, I had a horrible taste for drinking spirits neat. That is much changed now, should definitely try it again. It seems like everyone agrees that he sets the bar for grappa.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I freaking love Poli's stuff. I mean, really. If you want to give it another shot, I would suggest starting with one of the expressions with a little barrel age on it -- like the Barrique, the Sassicaia (I love the Sassicaia), the Sarpa di Barrique, the Cilecge (cherry brandy, sick good), or the Arzente which is more like a traditional brandy. Poli does do single grape grappas, too -- my fave is the Po' di Gewurtztraminer.For a regular, if you wish, grappa, I love the Sarpa di Poli or Vespasiola.

~ H

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so i want to go to the brandy library next weekend. any good buys or must tries on here? a 2 oz pour of 1970 darroze de gaube for 65 seems like a lot considering a whole bottle is like 200 at most.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yes, what I said in my OP -- get the 1970 Godet. Just do it.

Oh, though I do have to say that I am not so sure that the pours of the good stuff are 2oz. I wish they measured.

~ H

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

actually that godet is the reason i want to go to the brandy library (that and to try one of the darroze). i want to see if a whole bottle is worth the dough. anything else i should try while i'm there?

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Clear Creek pear brandy is wonderful, if very expensive. I use it with lavender honey syrup to make a great Sidecar.

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Picked up a bottle of Domaine Dupont Fine Reserve last night. Tastes pretty much like grape-based brandy to me, but the yellowish colour was surprising.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

me too

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

that sounds great

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Quote:
    Cool. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I would suggest having the Armagnac first.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Brandies seem to be poorly represented at most liquor stores. I have to deal with crappy county runs stores here and they have horrible selection, basically rotgut and anything prominently featured in a hiphop video. Anybody know a good place in the DC area that has a good selection?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Schneider's of Capitol Hill (near Union Station) has a great selection and great prices. Paul's (Friendship Heights) is pretty good too. 1 West Dupont Circle has a huge selection but is very pricey.

13. username79

username79 Senior member

Thanks. The 1970 Gaube is really exceptional. It is known as one of the "true expressions of armagnac." It's quite powerful. Think the artisanal brandy version of a 25 yr. old cask strength single malt scotch. You'll enjoy it. Trying to close a deal on four more bottles of Darroze I found recently (including a Gaube 1959). The oldest bottle I had was a 1893 Domaine de Cavaillon that I bought at auction and subsequently traded. Didn't get to taste it! :embar:

The Tesseron is pretty good. I primarily bought it because it's consistently good (not great), the magnum bottle looks great on the counter and because I got a great deal on it (less than a 76.) A lot of people prefer the 76 and people rave about the 29. I actually think the best deal in Cognac is the 90 (you can get it for ~$50) which I use for sauces and then drink. I agree with you that the Tesseron does not stand up to age as well as others -- I was completely underwhelmed by the 29. In any case, the Germain-Robin XO is better than all of them. I sip a little pretty much every night and don't feel guilty about it. Go to CaddellWilliams.com and request their catalog, they have lots of neat stuff.

Thinking about taking a trip to visit the Armagnac region. Supposedly the Armagnac families are appreciative and quite hospitable if you're really into what they make. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Marc Darroze is a very nice guy. Quite hospitable. No problem finding Gaube in his cellar, either. I don't remember whether the '71 or '72 was the best, but it was clearly the winner in the entire cellar, in his eyes and ours.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

15. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I stumbled upon a store downtown around 18th and I. It's a pretty unassuming place, so I was surprised to see that it had a decent selection of stuff. If I'm remembering correctly, the store had both the '70 and '79 Darroze. The guy running the place was knowledgeable and eager to help. He was raving about the '79.