• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The liquidation sales started yesterday. I stopped into the Chelsea store. Sales up to 10% off, which is the same as it is online.

noobanker

Reaction score
View attachment 1093704 View attachment 1093705 View attachment 1093706 View attachment 1093707

Okay, just got home and tried on the B. Corner from The Rake. Nice fabric and definitely a top coat vice an overcoat. Not a very heavy coat. Sized up to fit over a suit. Sleeves still a bit narrow but not too bad.

Not sure about the back. Had to adjust the belt to the outer buttons. Does it look a bit rumpled?

I bought a similar coat from NMWA a few years ago. Smashing LBM 1911 in Air Force Blue. I wear it casually all the time but, even after sizing up, it’s too slim to wear over a jacket.

What do you all think of this one? If I loosen the belt the waist is a bit big. I could have my tailor take it in I guess.

Arrggg I just bought this.
The way it drapes doesn't look too good... also the color seems a lot brighter than I would've wanted.
I'm guessing I'll have to pay the import tax AND the return fees.
Very disappointing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrggg I just bought this.
The way it drapes doesn't look too good... also the color seems a lot brighter than I would've wanted.
I'm guessing I'll have to pay the import tax AND the return fees.
Very disappointing.
Yeah, I got surprised by the duty although I should have read up on it. Coat drapes poorly and hangs heavy in the front. Very poorly designed.

noobanker

Reaction score
Yeah, I got surprised by the duty although I should have read up on it. Coat drapes poorly and hangs heavy in the front. Very poorly designed.

was the color dark like navy? Or was it blue...like electric

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More electric than navy I think. It was shiny if I remember correctly.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited the Bevely Hills store 11/9.
Reminded me whyI haven't bought anything from Barney's
in more than a decade. Too fashionista. Discounts only 10%

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned this before (maybe not on this thread), but many retailers hire third parties to run their liquidations for them, and they tend to drop their prices in a fixed pattern (i.e. start at 10% off and drop another 10% per week). People buy at higher prices because they assume liquidation means it's automatically a bargain. By the time the prices drop to real bargain territory they tend to be pretty picked clean.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned this before (maybe not on this thread), but many retailers hire third parties to run their liquidations for them, and they tend to drop their prices in a fixed pattern (i.e. start at 10% off and drop another 10% per week). People buy at higher prices because they assume liquidation means it's automatically a bargain. By the time the prices drop to real bargain territory they tend to be pretty picked clean.
Barneys holding at 5-10% so far.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In this case, one of the new owners is a liquidator.

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this case, one of the buyers is a liquidator.

And while I'm not really familiar with the specifics here, I don't think that's unusual. Liquidator pays a (low) lump sum for the entire inventory, and then tries to get every penny they can for it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting piece in the Atlantic on pop-up shops. Apparently they are taking over four floors in the Barneys building on Madison Avenue.

Also checked Barneys site and no change to their sale.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads