• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup agree, though maybe once suit become non essential it will catch on again just when you like to wear it

Or make it into something else. Deformalize them with less buttons or

img_1570557262468.jpg
img_1570557386187.jpg

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I thought it has been covered (not by Zara), like Eleventry sometimes got a bit BC vibe to it as well

My understanding is Eleventry is ex BC guys selling the look for less. Their whole business model was appropriating the aesthetic with poor, in relative terms to BC, fabrics.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is Eleventry is ex BC guys selling the look for less. Their whole business model was appropriating the aesthetic with poor, in relative terms to BC, fabrics.

Perhaps they’re also fine with a slightly less luxury markup factor/profit margin. Can’t imagine it’s all fabric costs...

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Perhaps they’re also fine with a slightly less luxury markup factor/profit margin. Can’t imagine it’s all fabric costs...
I'm sure any business would be happy with 70% of the BC markup. Its, Eleventy, is an interesting concept though, for me it fails in the fabrics and construction 'narrative' compared to BC. Although how many people are buying BC because of the fabrics and the narrative of Solomeo and how many are now buying it because Bezos and Zuck wear it non stop?

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure any business would be happy with 70% of the BC markup. Its, Eleventy, is an interesting concept though, for me it fails in the fabrics and construction 'narrative' compared to BC. Although how many people are buying BC because of the fabrics and the narrative of Solomeo and how many are now buying it because Bezos and Zuck wear it non stop?
I think BC fabrics belong to the same level of Kiton etc. Possibly the narrative is driving sales more than the quality. The top of the quality pyramid isn’t that vast for diversity in suppliers. Eleventy if anything is BC for less. I do think they can produce BC level stuff, and they do produce some superlative items each season and if the interview quoted BC margin of 7x goes by, it means that even if eleventy has a lower margin, it still remains relatively profitable even if they use BC materials without BC overheads like maintaining an Italian village, restoring theatres etc.

zr3rs

Reaction score
... with poor, in relative terms to BC, fabrics.

I bought a pair of BC flannel trousers where not only ALL buttons popped off by just pulling slightly (which I fixed easily myself), but the fabric simply tore vertically at the back after about 10 wears without any external influence. Needless to say their service claimed it was excessive use.
Judging from this isolated example, I can only conclude (for myself) that their quality of fabrics and manufacturing is miles below their price level, though the aesthetics are appealing.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of BC flannel trousers where not only ALL buttons popped off by just pulling slightly (which I fixed easily myself), but the fabric simply tore vertically at the back after about 10 wears without any external influence. Needless to say their service claimed it was excessive use.
Judging from this isolated example, I can only conclude (for myself) that their quality of fabrics and manufacturing is miles below their price level, though the aesthetics are appealing.

Typical **** Italian quality that I saw even with Isaia, Rubinacci, Orazio, etc etc etc. Lots of hype surrounding big brand names and less real quality. While unknown brands like the Spanish Lopez Aragon are offering MTO G Inglese quality at Spier prices.

Lancaster

Reaction score
I have a few platinum pieces with top notch fabrics and construction. But my experience is anecdotal and limited to the few pieces I have.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guess I'll get primed for the sale. Always loved Barneys. All stores apparently closing.

"The agreement Wednesday kicks off a final round of bidding before the ailing department store is auctioned off in bankruptcy court next week. Liquidation for store merchandise could begin as soon as next week, according to one vendor."

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guess I'll get primed for the sale. Always loved Barneys. All stores apparently closing.

"The agreement Wednesday kicks off a final round of bidding before the ailing department store is auctioned off in bankruptcy court next week. Liquidation for store merchandise could begin as soon as next week, according to one vendor."

Well so it will be. I wonder what they'll do with fragrances like Frédéric Malle that never ever is discounted anywhere?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting out a distress call for @SpooPoker

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well so it will be. I wonder what they'll do with fragrances like Frédéric Malle that never ever is discounted anywhere?
I would guess the snootier brands will want their stuff back or mandate a sale price they are comfortable with? Don't high-end brands actually destroy product lest it be tainted by a sale?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads