• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Jacob E.

Reaction score
The outlet HF suits have white labels with maroon lettering (third label down on the left). They have names like Lindsey or Milburn and they have had a fake retail price of $1495 for years. Outlets like Saks Off Fifth, Barneys, NM, and plenty of online sites sell them. Not totally bad but nothing to get even a little excited about. Definitely not worth what they list for even when discounted. I had a few years ago but passed them on.

Below is a stock photo of the only Hickey Freeman piece I have, wool/camel hair Milburn sports coat (white label), bought online at Nordstrom Rack. Of course, "retail price" is a humorless joke, but at $350, I consider it not a bad value. Somehow, dark navy is the color that makes my pale face look more alive :).

And yes, this one is made in USA.

hickey-freeman-BROWN-WINDOWPANE-Windowpane-Classic-Fit-Camel-Hair-Wool-Sportcoat.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Below is a stock photo of the only Hickey Freeman piece I have, wool/camel hair Milburn sports coat (white label), bought online at Nordstrom Rack. Of course, "retail price" is a humorless joke, but at $350, I consider it not a bad value. Somehow, dark navy is the color that makes my pale face look more alive :).

And yes, this one is made in USA.
It's been a decade since I wore their diffusion stuff. I remember them lacking in fit, fabric quality, and construction (applying what I know now to the 2007 version of me). I would recommend their mainline stuff which uses excellent fabrics with great fit and, I'm assuming, excellent construction (not like I take them apart or anything...).

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it isn't a result of a change in the way the perpetual "race to the bottom" of sales has started to work. It isn't just seasonal sales getting earlier and earlier, its also flash sales, micro sales, insider coupons, randomly emailed discount coupons (either % based or a flat $ amount) etc etc. Consumers are bombarded at seemingly random, yet constant intervals with "deals".

It's easier to send out daily 20% off or free shipping or "4 shirts for $199" deals via email to a bazillion customers than to pay for direct mail. But now email hosts like gmail automatically silo that crap so it doesn't flood your inbox.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, they could potentially liquidate soon. NYC has rent controlled apartments wonder why they can’t put a lid on commercial real estate?

Pretty sad if they go. I love Barneys.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not suggesting things are positive here, but the language regarding the possibility of converting a chapter 11 to liquidation is standard boilerplate language that you see in any bankruptcy proceeding.
Yeah, might sound a bit more dramatic than it really is. We’ll see this week I guess.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had thought neiman Marcus was in worse shape than barneys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads