• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is quite the assumption - how do you know what their margins are?

It's definitely an assumption. I imagine that Century 21's, Men Warehouse's - and recently Brook Brothers with their "Red Fleece line - fabric and labour costs are not insignificantly smaller than some of the more expensive retailers who do not mass produce in quite the same way. I could certainly be wrong about that.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely an assumption. I imagine that Century 21's, Men Warehouse's - and recently Brook Brothers with their "Red Fleece line - fabric and labour costs are not insignificantly smaller than some of the more expensive retailers who do not mass produce in quite the same way. I could certainly be wrong about that.
so if you don't know then why post about it? Why mention fabric and labor costs when it's just ignorant rambling that that point?

Would you send an email full of assumptions/gossip/non-truth statements to a group of people at your workplace? Probably not - so why do that here?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so if you don't know then why post about it? Why mention fabric and labor costs when it's just ignorant rambling that that point?

Would you send an email full of assumptions/gossip/non-truth statements to a group of people at your workplace? Probably not - so why do that here?

In that case I must apologize - I seem to have mistaken this website for an internet discussion forum, and not for its true form as a pediment of reliability about which galactophagous office workers may gather to discuss only workplace-appropriately-truthy ideas. I shall watch these paragons of objective reality post only those things which are verified with great interest.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case I must apologize - I seem to have mistaken this website for an internet discussion forum, and not for its true form as a pediment of reliability about which galactophagous office workers may gather to discuss only workplace-appropriately-truthy ideas. I shall watch these paragons of objective reality post only those things which are verified with great interest.
No need to be extra...........I hope you see my point in my analogy. Posting stuff which simply isn't true - even if packaged in a bunch of words to make it seem like you actually know something - is the problem itself.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to be extra...........I hope you see my point in my analogy. Posting stuff which simply isn't true - even if packaged in a bunch of words to make it seem like you actually know something - is the problem itself.

I do see your point, and hope you have the same consideration for mine. The internet is hardly the most reliable source of information in even the best of times, and not every real-life conversation or forum discussion consists purely of verified facts.

The key is to be willing to be proven wrong when confronted with better information - my educated guess is that Men's Warehouse doesn't make as much profit off of a $300 suit as Gucci does from a $5000 suit. You may assert that this is false, and it may well be, but since it is only a statement of opinion it may exist independently of anyone's point of view, including those who believe they can ascertain one's level of knowledge from an internet forum.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't Jeffrey and Barneys supposed to fit into the "higher margin" retail category? Totokaelo? On the fashion label side, Sies Marjan? DvF? All victims here alongside J Crew and Brooks.

I imagine that Kering and LVMH brands are OK and shielded from closure because of the sheer scale, cash reserves and financing access of the companies. But I'm not sure that higher gross margin players are necessary in a better place. Luxury pricing (and higher gross margins) usually comes with higher real estate (hard to scale down) and marketing costs (can be scaled down).

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't Jeffrey and Barneys supposed to fit into the "higher margin" retail category? Totokaelo? On the fashion label side, Sies Marjan? DvF? All victims here alongside J Crew and Brooks.

I imagine that Kering and LVMH brands are OK and shielded from closure because of the sheer scale, cash reserves and financing access of the companies. But I'm not sure that higher gross margin players are necessary in a better place. Luxury pricing (and higher gross margins) usually comes with higher real estate (hard to scale down) and marketing costs (can be scaled down).

It really shows who has the reserves when some companies can last a year without many customers and others go under or change completely. The point about costs is definitely a thing - maybe the company's size or international exposure has more to do with it?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for people to post all the info on their margins and profitability and cost structures and labor rates and how things should have really been managed etc

since everyone here is an expert in all those things :rolleyes:

JASONBLOOD

Reaction score
??? I've been following his Instagram for awhile and have never seen photos of his wife, I don't think. Just tons of photos of his bespoke suits, shoes, houses/estates, restaurant, and pimped out vehicles. Insane.
Guys- i actually run into him in Palm Beach several times a year. In the grocery store and the veterinarian. Hes super laid back, always with the wife and always in a cool old inexpensive car. Hes pretty great and super kicked back. Seems the videos etc are just branding for him.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys- i actually run into him in Palm Beach several times a year. In the grocery store and the veterinarian. Hes super laid back, always with the wife and always in a cool old inexpensive car. Hes pretty great and super kicked back. Seems the videos etc are just branding for him.
Who are you talking about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads