• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aha, probably should google, it was purchased over 10 years ago...
I've been to Wilkes Bashford in San Fran. Nice stuff but seriously pricey. Salesman was dropping names left and right."...and Kamala was just in last weekend, so was Willie Brown! Nancy (Pelosi) is a regular!" Kind of fun actually.

sftiger

Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford opened a branch in Palo Alto, the heart of Silicon Valley, 20 years ago.
It was just when local businesses started to embrace "casual everyday" . Not that the
tech industry was ever known for elegant dress. I predicted that it would be gone in a
few years. Instead, they have persevered and possibly even prospered by selling
overpriced Italian clothes to a clientele that is largely clueless about style.

Wilkes Bashford has great stuff - I really like their SF store.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The opening of the Palo Alto store 20 years ago was the decision of Wilkes Bashford himself.
Mitchells acquired them in 2009. I never really liked the store… too trendy for me, although I
own a WB suit and blazer from them from a now discontinued brand. In my opinion the store
has lost much of its individuality since the takeover.

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

It was discussed a while back that Chester Barrie has closed shop (hopefully the company will make a comeback).

In the mean time, there are some interesting pieces floating around:

I picked up this NWT CG Gold Label suit for about $150 (Gold Label was their most recent high-end RTW line that's half-canvassed and made in Italy). It looks like the seller has access to left over stock:

And this seller has bolts of fabric, and lining, from their Savile Row shop (including this 100% cashmere bolt):

Chester Barrie was dead before it closed up shop. It was just a name that belonged to an investment firm that got put onto half-canvassed suits made in Italy and fused suits made elsewhere. The actual British manufacture that had produced the handmade suits that made the reputation of Chester Barrie was sold off 15 years ago and now belongs to Lutwyche, and also trades as Cheshire Bespoke, so you can still find that stuff around.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford has great stuff - I really like their SF store.
The opening of the Palo Alto store 20 years ago was the decision of Wilkes Bashford himself.
Mitchells acquired them in 2009. I never really liked the store… too trendy for me, although I
own a WB suit and blazer from them from a now discontinued brand. In my opinion the store
has lost much of its individuality since the takeover.

I've never been to the Palo Alto store, but first shopped at the SF store in the mid 90's. I bought my first Kiton item there and back then the SAs were talking it up as the pinnacle of hand-sewn craftsmanship, exclusivity, blah blah...

I agree that the SF store's individuality has declined since the Mitchell's buyout. Seems like the stocklists have become more generic and less interesting, but I think reflect a catering to the casualization and watering down of CM in SF. The shoe department, however, has a good range of high end makers like C&J, G&G, Berluti, Bontoni, Lobb, but no EG. In fact, I don't know if any retailer in SF ever carried EG?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wonder how Charles Tyrwhitt is doing, I remember when I was in London it just felt there were more TM Lewin than CT

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I've never been to the Palo Alto store, but first shopped at the SF store in the mid 90's".

I first visited the SF Store in the early to mid 80s on business trips to San Francisco when
it was located in the Parking Garage building across the street. At the time they featured
Ralph Lauren. As for shoes, neither WB nor any other store could fit my 3E+ feet.

vida

Reaction score
Half, although the interlining runs longer than some other half canvas suits (but not long enough to make it a full canvas jacket).

I haven't torn the jacket apart but the canvas feels synthetic to me.

The jacket is half lined but the front of it is stitched up pretty well to prevent me from getting to the canvas without ripping a seam

The whole thing is pretty clearly machine made. I'm not in the clothing business, but a friend of mine who is suspects that it might be partially made in China and then stitched together in Italy to get a "made in Italy" designation. I'm not trying to slander the collection, I think that is probably pretty typical for a suit at this price point and to be honest I like the style of it. It would look good if I hadn't gained a bunch of weight.

here are some more pics. The most hilarious thing to me is the "handwritten note" from craft. I had forgotten about this until I open the box, it is just a cheap b&w printout. I'm kind of surprised they didn't at least spring for actual stationary

They were also kind enough to send an issue of the Rake along with it. Maybe that's where the stationary money went

View attachment 1412573 View attachment 1412574 View attachment 1412575 View attachment 1412576 View attachment 1412577 View attachment 1412578
Do you have any fit picks..? Would like to see this IRL.

Quesjac

Reaction score
TM Lewin to close all their stores. They will continue as a mail order/online only operation.
I feel for the salespeople, and outside of London those stores were often a real improvement on existing high street offerings. I can't say I ever used them for more than the odd purchase, but where else are you going to get a self-tie white bow tie at short notice in regional Britain?

Last edited:

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads