• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess do people pay up for HW? I think one of the good value proposition is "we're just as good if not better", but HW, I mean it took Japan a while to build the reputation so I assume this will take a while too

sure but the examples you listed offer HW for less and the same applies to say Enzo Bonafe. I think it’ll be a while before Chinese made can charge close to the price of makers in other countries with similar speccs (and this leaves out a brand premium that say a EG worked long on to achieve)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
right but we're not just talking about HW alone though (otherwise why not Vass/EB etc. since it's also 600~700 already), it's the rest of the package which I don't know if is better but could be

edit: I mean imagine someone does something just like GG deco but in HW and at $1k, I can see people jump on it (and can even cut less shoe per hide than GG does)

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right but we're not just talking about HW alone though (otherwise why not Vass/EB etc. since it's also 600~700 already), it's the rest of the package which I don't know if is better but could be

edit: I mean imagine someone does something just like GG deco but in HW and at $1k, I can see people jump on it (and can even cut less shoe per hide than GG does)

time will tell! I will say i am skeptical if any Chinese rtw made shoe can be successful with a price tag of 1k or more

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, though I suppose it gets around that by saying it's Taiwan, which I guess to American, a bit different, but not THAT much... (perception to cost wise, since it's not the real cost that matter perception play a bigger role here for sure)

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeossal and Oct Tenth x Son of Henry are in $600~$700 range both HW, think that would be the easy market, maybe they have a non patina line for <$1k?

I personally would pay for ~$1k if I see the quality is there, I mean EG and GG charge way over $1k for just even GW so to me still a bargain (and probably why I really like AM too, especially AM fits me better too)

edit: and I have a GMTO from Oct Tenth x SoH coming, so guess we will see, the article did say it's made in China then finished in Taiwan, so for all I know it might be Oct Tenth to start with...
What is Oct Tenth x SoH?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's a bit my own word, forgot how they call it exactly, basically not black but wearable dark grey but not museum grey kind spotty (museum grey sometimes look like mold if you ask me...)

edit: and other than being lazyman this actually remind of EG/RL MacKay

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're really interested in British Racing Green, then should go to that thread ask if people are interested, think you only need 4 to be GMTO to waive MTO fee, also even if it's single MTO the upcharge is pretty cheap too (like 50 euro?)

though I remember at least for first batch it's all pretty "usual color" (black/brown/oxblood etc.)

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're really interested in British Racing Green, then should go to that thread ask if people are interested, think you only need 4 to be GMTO to waive MTO fee, also even if it's single MTO the upcharge is pretty cheap too (like 50 euro?)

though I remember at least for first batch it's all pretty "usual color" (black/brown/oxblood etc.)
Yeah, that style in BRC is something I would go for. Don’t know when I would wear them. Any time I go out right now I wear adidas running shoes or Common Projects.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Corthays in grey several years ago. I guess I was tired of black and shades of brown. Corthay does a great job with color. Curious to see what yours look like when you get them.

well, I have AM tone down version of museum grey, I like it a lot

1590172527819.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
common project is too much for me, I get my "white sneaker" from Nike or Adidas I don't even remember (it was through jcrew, <100...)

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been tempted to follow the SoH thread. I popped in once or twice but the posts gave me a headache (even by SF CM standards).

I don’t follow the thread closely, but I have a pair of SoH suede split toe derbies. Along the same lines as my suede EG Dover’s. I’ve been super impressed by them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads