• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

vida

Reaction score
I actually think classic brands such as Ralph Lauren may do fairly well coming out of the pandemic situation. I think the first thing to go will be the street wear and conceptual clothing that has been so popular over the past couple years. A return to classic clothing with a focus on longevity is my bet.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@vida I’ve been thinking on that. I can really see two sides to this.

One is that post-lockdown people want to get dressed up because they’re fed up of being in t-shirts and sweatpants.

The other is that once everyone gets used to working at home and wearing t-shirts and sweatpants and being seen wearing them by colleagues (and clients) on videoconference, it engenders a further move away from classic menswear.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL make sales elsewhere, the menswear image is not what it sale to make real profit, I don't follow RL's financial, but would think everyone is in a tough spot in terms of cashflow, maybe some of them can do well AFTER, but they need to survive until then

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Me, waiting.
tenor.gif

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like there are deflationary pressures in the high-end menswear market because of the virus.

Paul Stuart was mentioned, and G&G is running some aggressive MTO promos.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like there are deflationary pressures in the high-end menswear market because of the virus.

Paul Stuart was mentioned, and G&G is running some aggressive MTO promos.

Just wait.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say worse, people are holding out, I see more failures around this time...

edit: I don't "see" as in I have any insight to the industry, more like I "guess"

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you think we’re heading into a period similar to 2009-2010?

Its different than the 08 recession IMO. Lots more closures of smaller shops but less big brand (NM BG etc) major discounts like 08.

What Im thinking about is whats going to happen to fall 2020 deliveries since nobody is producing goods now, thats the question.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
true religion files for bankruptcy. the end of an era...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think we’re heading into a period similar to 2009-2010?

Worse. Because independent of the economy the "casual workplace/slobification"
has progressed further through the past decade. Barneys, Saks Mens Store in SF,
etc,closed long before Covid 19 because of decline in tailored clothing and internet
competition.In the past decade I only bought one article of tailored clothing in a brick
and mortar store, mainly because I do not like the selection in San Francisco, but also
for price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads